Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

teenage crime in NZ?

teenage crime in NZ?

Old Aug 3rd 2007, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of
Default teenage crime in NZ?

Okay .................. we all know everywhere has crime. Im just interested in getting a couple of questions answered by all you out there in the know. Im mainly asking these questions in relation to the big cities and suburbs.

Do you get as many bored/drunk/drugged teenagers hanging about...............like in UK? ..................... AND ........................ Whats the Police service response like?...............say if your 10 yr old son and his pal got robbed on the golf course today...................would they attend today?

Our (Scottish) Police service is going to the dogs. Civilian call centres..............poor response times...................under staffed!

Son and pal were met by three drunk/'bored' teenagers who walked onto golf course for 'fun'.................thereafter intimidated the boys into getting a shot of their clubs. They then proceeded to fire golf balls in every way but the right way narrowly missing them each time. Then proceeded to take sons new baseball cap...................a selection of their clubs and all their golf balls...............arse wipes! Kids really shook up..........................this was at 4 o'clock and at 10 o'clock I phoned and said don't bother coming. (bye the way I had already offered to attend at local Police Office but they told me it would just to go home and they would call round?????????????........................go figure

Okay I know Im having a rant but you'll enjoy this one. A few years back I was out walking and saw what looked like a clump of long red hair (and I mean a clump). On close inspection I saw there was what looked like blood and matter at end. Obviously someone had had a clump of hair violently pulled out their head........................anyway went home................phoned the police...................civilian answered and his response was wait for it "Are you a haematologist?"...............Me "Pardon".............Him "How do you know it was blood.............or for that matter human hair...........couldve been a horse?.................me "Sorry...........I may be mistaken but is it legal to pull a horses mane out in chunks?"...................and this was at the time when those two poor kids were missing down South and we were all 'supposedly' being extra vigilant........................I mean how the hell would he have felt if a body was uncovered in the woods nearby?
I was a policewoman for ten years and have a great respect for the Police in general. Good and bad in every profession. But definitely something gone far wrong with the system.
Bye the bye..................I know it probably sounds like I live in the Bronx but other than a garden shed broken into 10 yrs ago ................I personally havent been a victim of crime.
Anyway thankfully boys are okay......................just a bit shook up.

Last edited by jill1420; Aug 3rd 2007 at 12:58 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: teenage crime in NZ?

hi jill me again
dont know about the crime rate,but what the hell's going on with young drivers here,they can drive here at 15yes 15:curse:
went to pick son up from school the other day and they were all driving out of school...........like idiots i may add.

don't know what the parents are thinking oftheres no way kids are responsible enough at 15 to drive cars,there judgments to clouded.

can't even clean there rooms at that age.we're staying in nice area,but theres 1 clown that keeps racing up and down our street during night:curse: driving us round bend.

going to go out 1 night and hide in bushes with camcorder,well second thoughts my camcorders about the size of a bbc reporters camera,would block half the road....would phone the police but dont know if they would do anything
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Jill this is a link to the Youth Court system in NZ which you may find interesting.....

http://www.justice.govt.nz/youth/
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by garryhg
hi jill me again
dont know about the crime rate,but what the hell's going on with young drivers here,they can drive here at 15yes 15:curse:
went to pick son up from school the other day and they were all driving out of school...........like idiots i may add.

don't know what the parents are thinking oftheres no way kids are responsible enough at 15 to drive cars,there judgments to clouded.

can't even clean there rooms at that age.we're staying in nice area,but theres 1 clown that keeps racing up and down our street during night:curse: driving us round bend.

going to go out 1 night and hide in bushes with camcorder,well second thoughts my camcorders about the size of a bbc reporters camera,would block half the road....would phone the police but dont know if they would do anything

They are trying to raise the age level to 18 here now. Although, I think it was someone from Top Gear that had a more sensible suggestion. Only allow them to drive cars with 1.1 engines! At least this would cut down how stupidly fast they drive!
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jill1420
Okay .................. we all know everywhere has crime. Im just interested in getting a couple of questions answered by all you out there in the know. Im mainly asking these questions in relation to the big cities and suburbs.

Do you get as many bored/drunk/drugged teenagers hanging about...............like in UK? ..................... AND ........................ Whats the Police service response like?...............say if your 10 yr old son and his pal got robbed on the golf course today...................would they attend today?

Our (Scottish) Police service is going to the dogs. Civilian call centres..............poor response times...................under staffed!

Son and pal were met by three drunk/'bored' teenagers who walked onto golf course for 'fun'.................thereafter intimidated the boys into getting a shot of their clubs. They then proceeded to fire golf balls in every way but the right way narrowly missing them each time. Then proceeded to take sons new baseball cap...................a selection of their clubs and all their golf balls...............arse wipes! Kids really shook up..........................this was at 4 o'clock and at 10 o'clock I phoned and said don't bother coming. (bye the way I had already offered to attend at local Police Office but they told me it would just to go home and they would call round?????????????........................go figure

Okay I know Im having a rant but you'll enjoy this one. A few years back I was out walking and saw what looked like a clump of long red hair (and I mean a clump). On close inspection I saw there was what looked like blood and matter at end. Obviously someone had had a clump of hair violently pulled out their head........................anyway went home................phoned the police...................civilian answered and his response was wait for it "Are you a haematologist?"...............Me "Pardon".............Him "How do you know it was blood.............or for that matter human hair...........couldve been a horse?.................me "Sorry...........I may be mistaken but is it legal to pull a horses mane out in chunks?"...................and this was at the time when those two poor kids were missing down South and we were all 'supposedly' being extra vigilant........................I mean how the hell would he have felt if a body was uncovered in the woods nearby?
I was a policewoman for ten years and have a great respect for the Police in general. Good and bad in every profession. But definitely something gone far wrong with the system.
Bye the bye..................I know it probably sounds like I live in the Bronx but other than a garden shed broken into 10 yrs ago ................I personally havent been a victim of crime.
How horrible for your son! Glad to hear that he is okay!

You would think with kids that a lot of it is down to being bored. Hanging round the streets getting drunk! Have to say there isn't much around our town for teenagers to do!

But to intimidate younger children on a golf course is just mindless!
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of

Thanks for your replies....................I am concerned about driving as I experienced some hairy drivin in OZ at xmas.....................having said that......................at this moment while out driving...................my 12 yr old gets me to test him on road signs, driving procedure etc.............as he sees driving at 15 a huge incentive for going...................no way!
I passed my test at 18 and within the first year had been involved in two accidents.............both due to friends in car............music up too loud................and lack of concentration....................never had one since. Hubby wrote off his friends XR2 whilst they were doing hand brake turns in the snow????????????????don't ask ................... and had to do 3 jobs for years to pay his dad back as he wasn't insured. Think he was 17..................he passed on his birthday.....................and he hasnt been in bump since................hard lesson to learn.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Jill this is a link to the Youth Court system in NZ which you may find interesting.....

http://www.justice.govt.nz/youth/
Thanks Bellasmum.......................gonna give it a read. ta
Old Aug 7th 2007, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jill1420

Hi
Just to add my two penneth lol
New Zealnd is not so different. Teenagers are very bored and teenagers still get drunk sitting outside or behind their local shops. The police will move them on if they are causing a nusiance, but you hardly see a copper at night either in NZ or the UK. Because of the population diffference in NZ, it doesn't appear to be such a problem but if you put it into perspcetive then there is not any difference really. You get the same problems in both countries
Old Aug 7th 2007, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Feel free heavenlyscent.......................good to get a mix of view points.