British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Technical email and phone help, please... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/technical-email-phone-help-please-798628/)

moonie2011 May 30th 2013 6:18 pm

Technical email and phone help, please...

Hi guys just arrived in NZ, all the family have colds and jet lag is gripping us the whole family is awake and its 6am :thumbdown:

to make matters worse I am having a few IT issues which I am hoping someone can help me with

Email:
I am a BTYahoo customer and am continuing to pay for it from the UK. I access it via Microsoft outlook. Yesterday went to check my emails and they downloaded fine, but when I tried to reply is wouldn't send saying that it couldn't connect to server.
A UK friend said that I wouldn't be able to use BTYahoo via outlook in NZ unless I accessed it by logging into their website??
it would also mean trying to export my contacts from outlook to yahoo which I have tried but is not happening :(

Also iPhone 3, before coming out I asked for it to be unlocked, I tried another sim card and it seemed to work. However today got new sim card from vodaphone, put it is, said no network. After a long time on the phone to vodaphone they said it wasn't unlocked here in NZ??
Anyone heard of this?

Is there anyone in the welly area that is a whizz with computers that could help me out with this PLEASE. would really appreciate it :)

Thanks guys

MOSO May 30th 2013 7:15 pm

Re: Technical email and phone help, please...

Hi, hope you're settling in well and don't worry it's been the coldest week of the year so far by a long way!

I'm not technical enough to help you with the BT problem, but with the Vodafone problem if you're near Paraparaumu, there are a couple of very technical guys "geeks" at the Vodafone shop in Coastlands who seem to know exactly what they're doing and have been extremely helpful when I've had problems with phones etc. If you're not up this far, it may be worth phoning them directly.

Woodlea May 30th 2013 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by moonie2011 (Post 10732994)
I am a BTYahoo customer and am continuing to pay for it from the UK. I access it via Microsoft outlook. Yesterday went to check my emails and they downloaded fine, but when I tried to reply is wouldn't send saying that it couldn't connect to server.
A UK friend said that I wouldn't be able to use BTYahoo via outlook in NZ unless I accessed it by logging into their website??
it would also mean trying to export my contacts from outlook to yahoo which I have tried but is not happening :(

You'll need an SMTP relay as BT aren't your ISP in NZ. I just googled smtp2go and it looked fairly simple - good luck

PHONEJUNKY May 30th 2013 8:28 pm

just set up a hotmail, live account and send out emails via that

skirmy May 31st 2013 2:01 am

Hi Moonie,
We had the same issue with our phones when we got here. They were on o2 in the UK and got confirmation before we left they were unlocked.

When we got here and got a telecom sim it would not accept it - we went into a few stores and got told our phones (also Iphones) were not unlocked - but after checking again with o2 a number of times they confirmed they were.

Out of despair we got Vodafone sims and they worked perfectly first time! I know its not technical but might be worth trying a different sim?

Did you get them unlocked by one of the phone companies in the UK, or was it a jailbreak?

moonie2011 May 31st 2013 2:34 am

Originally Posted by skirmy (Post 10733583)
Did you get them unlocked by one of the phone companies in the UK, or was it a jailbreak?

Hi skirmy, I got it unlocked by O2 and it was a vodaphone that we put it. I have emailed them and will await their reply

Woodlea, I will give that a go

Thanks guys for the info :)

Snap Shot May 31st 2013 2:43 am

I got a cheap phone for about fifty nz dollars as it would have cost about the same to unlock my 02 phone. I smiled at the irony that my two degrees network phone is 02 expressed in a subtly different way i.e. 2 subscript o for the degree symbol.

I just wanted a cheap phone so that's what I got, it was a Samsung. I missed my Nokia though so I got a cheap Nokia phone and just put my Sim in it.

skends May 31st 2013 8:26 am

Moonies, my hubby's was the same but once we logged into iTunes it all of a sudden worked - I'm not a techno geek - wish I was tho its just frustrating eh? Hope you get it sorted soon

PHONEJUNKY May 31st 2013 9:22 pm

i also brought an iphone 3 that is unlocked as i have used 3 different uk sims in it but it wont work with nz sims i called iphone and they said that it was locked to uk sims and not the rest of the world. there is a place in albany that can unlock them but they want $250 and it takes about 3 days so not worth it.

moonie2011 May 31st 2013 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Woodlea (Post 10733192)
You'll need an SMTP relay as BT aren't your ISP in NZ. I just googled smtp2go and it looked fairly simple - good luck

Thank you woodlea, done it :thumbsup:

moonie2011 May 31st 2013 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by PHONEJUNKY (Post 10734898)
i also brought an iphone 3 that is unlocked as i have used 3 different uk sims in it but it wont work with nz sims i called iphone and they said that it was locked to uk sims and not the rest of the world. there is a place in albany that can unlock them but they want $250 and it takes about 3 days so not worth it.

mmm as its a iphone 3 thinks it may be better to save that money and put it towards an upgrade!!:frown:

escapedtonz Jun 1st 2013 8:14 am

Originally Posted by moonie2011 (Post 10734906)
mmm as its a iphone 3 thinks it may be better to save that money and put it towards an upgrade!!:frown:

I'd agree. It's only $1050 for an iPhone 5 :eek:

Join www.grabone.co.nz and www.treatme.co.nz for daily emails of bargain deals. They regularly have refurbished and ex. lease iPhone 4 and 4s's on plus Samsung Galaxy S3's with 12 months guarantee.

You will find it is cheaper here to buy a new phone outright than get it free on a contract and pay for the contract.
A colleague bought a Galaxy S4 last week for $950 and just used his 2degrees Pay as u Go sim which costs him $19 a month.
To get it free the mobile shop wanted him to sign up for a minimum $119 a month for a 24 month contract.
Total $2856 for the contract and phone against $1406 for the phone outright and his current Pay as u Go costs!!!

janiejones Jun 2nd 2013 7:53 am

There's a place in the small arcade on Willis Street (other end comes out in Manners) that unlocks phones. Perhaps they could help you?

Snap Shot Jun 2nd 2013 7:59 am

I think I got some unpleasant soup from a café in there once. Still, nothing to do with mobile phone unlocks.

skirmy Jun 3rd 2013 10:52 pm

Hi Again,
did you try checking with o2? they should be able to confirm if its unlocked? They have an online chat help section which means you dont have to phone them - you just give them your old mobile number. We relied on them heaps when we first moved here?

Failing that - I would definately try plugging into Itunes as a previous post suggests - I have heard a few times thats worked for people :-)