Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

teaching in the south island.

teaching in the south island.

Old Nov 7th 2008, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

mkumar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: teaching in the south island.

Unfortunately, because of the attractive nature of the South Island (landscape, house prices etc), the only way a person leaves a teaching job down south is in a coffin.

Why not look for and take a job in AKl or Welly and then move down a couple of years later. With the experience, you would be in a better situation.

I would love to live and teach in the South but AKL is fine for the mo, as it pays the bills and gets me closer to PR.

good luck.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 4:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by gozzy
Wish visa agents could be more helpful.
Some immigration consultants are absolutely first rate. With some it is money for old rope.

Originally Posted by gozzy
I agree have seen farming on skills shortage list too, but we are not paying them to get us a farming job just a teaching job hence no advice/help in that direction.

Ta Linda
You should not be paying anyone to find you a job ! Any recruitment agent worth it's salt will collect commission from the prospective employer not fleece the hopeful migrant.

Further, it's well known that full-time permanently contracted primary school teaching jobs are generally available. There are home-grown primary school teachers here queuing up to try and get these jobs.

Why not look for and take a job in AKl or Welly and then move down a couple of years later. With the experience, you would be in a better situation.
If there are primary school jobs there , then that may be where you should aim for.

If you were concerned about doing the immigration forms yourself then I could quite understand employing an immigration consultant to do that, or perhaps if you have unusual circumstance. You should only pick one from the NZAMI site & one that knows his stuff.

With regard to farming. I found this site called FRENZ which may or may not be helpful. If you could find work in the farming industry, perhaps as a manager, you could come on temp work visas and then, once settled into the farm work apply for PR with your husband as principle applicant. Farming is skilled so you would apply under the Skilled Migrant Category.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice

Thanks guys,

Have got NZQA and teach no. Had been thinking may have to do a recce myself. Rich has started looking more into the farming line so he may get a job first. fingers crossed. I agree in life it is who you know that makes the difference. Thanks so much for all of your advice and support, bit hellish this side. Credit crunch really worrying as both in secure jobs here. Still want to move but v nervous.
Ta
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice

My mum is out in NZ as an Assistant Herd Manager having run a farm with my dad right up to the foot and mouth outbreak. All the farm business was in my dad's name and he had sadly passed away. Mum got references from the Vet and Estate manager (they were tenant farmers) to state she ran the farm with dad and has had no problems with work permits at all. As she is over 55 she's struggling with PR but that's another story. My sister's a farmer on the South Is and I know her and the local farms really struggle to get good workers of any sort. I would seriously try that route as a start, even my brother got a work permit for farming in April for 3 years and he has no qualifications whatsoever being dyslexic and anti establishment
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with everything said. Newly qualified NZ teachers often have to serve as relievers for a while before a job comes up. The NZ experience may not be an issue, although you will notice differences in the curriculum and the way it's taught. Kids can't start school in NZ until their 5th birthday by the way.

If it all doesn't work out on the farming side would you consider a teacher exchange? Years ago my son had a British teacher who came out on an exchange programme. The NZ and British teachers swapped houses, cars and jobs for a year. No idea if this is still an option, but it seems a good way to get a feel for the country with a guaranteed job and then possibly a permanent job offer to follow.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

gozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nicegozzy is just really nice

Really like the idea of a teacher swap, just don't think it would work here as live on the farm. Also my job is now on a temp/cover contract as handed my notice in in July. Thanks for advice though. Think Rich may get in on his farming from the sounds of it.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:00 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

My mother works for a school in porirua and they often have problems finding teachers who want to teach in the area or (flip side) want to teach in a poor (decile 1A) area but have no experience with challenging behaviours and the concerns faced by children in those areas.

They can and do hire overseas staff.

I suppose the benefit of teaching in Wellington is that you can find work in schools such as that but you aren't 'forced' to live in the area. By that i mean, you can still live in a nicer area or an area you like but do not need to face a one hour commute to school.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

I have loads of experience working in a school with children with very challenging behaviour. Wouldn't mind a break from it to be honest as very draining. Hey if it gets me a job then I would be willing to do it for at least another year. Love the teaching, hate the behaviour issues and lack of funds/support to deal with it.
L
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Kp - Would that be for a primary school teacher then. Would the EA give a full time permanent contract. If they would, then they have a dove-tail with the experience Mrs Gozzy has.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Hi yes I am a primary school teacher. Had a kid stab another with a sharp pencil today, third time this academeic year, different child each time and can do nothing about it. Very frustrating. Would be willing to work in a low decile school in NZ just to get in. Once experienced with NZ curriculum could transfer to another. As you say do not have to live in area as I don't here.
Ta L
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:52 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Yep she's at a primary school. Actually the school is really lovely - they recently had to remove their roses they had growing around the staff room but up until then the grounds had pretty flowers all around it. Actually the removed them because the maintenance was pretty high apparently.

I can only speak about the schools that I know of through her, but they appear to be very well run little schools. Ok they can also have principals running feifdoms, but that can happen anywhere.

They can and do hire teachers with no teaching experience in New Zealand - but they need to be good teachers who have faced similar experiences. For instance, children from homes where English is a second - or third - language; a high number of refugees - Burma in Porirua; high rates of children going to a large number of schools (rented property vs ownership).

They also need to be the right kind of teacher for the job. These kids do not appreciate yelling teachers. Nor teachers that let them walk all over them. And to be honest, not prissy teachers.

Go to Redwood in Tawa if you want nice kids who keep quiet when ya play piano. Go to Porirua if you want them to get up and dance.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that advice. The area I come from has a lot of children with English as a second language. Not always easy to manage but with help translating it can be fine. Like you said the best way is to not yell at them and try to understand them and where they come from. Mind you do have to shout sometimes. Hope today is a better day.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:32 pm

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

I just stumbled across this advertising farming jobs. May be something of interest for you.

http://www.ruralnews.co.nz/apps/jobs/