Teaching in NZ

Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Teaching in NZ

Folks,

We are considering emigration to NZ - been there for a month or so and in Aus for a year so have some idea of what the life might be like.

I teach IT and Dt in Senior School and the better half is Primary trained. We aren't old but have about 20 years experience so very early forties!

Three questions:

What are the schools like in NZ? I know there are fewer private schools but how does the teaching compare? What are the state schools like?

Salary - any idea how much we might earn - I'd try for a HoD post given experience.

And finally - does anyone send their children to private school/ If so what are the fees like?

Any help much appreciated.

Bezza
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in NZ

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
Folks,

We are considering emigration to NZ - been there for a month or so and in Aus for a year so have some idea of what the life might be like.

I teach IT and Dt in Senior School and the better half is Primary trained. We aren't old but have about 20 years experience so very early forties!

Three questions:

What are the schools like in NZ? I know there are fewer private schools but how does the teaching compare? What are the state schools like?

Salary - any idea how much we might earn - I'd try for a HoD post given experience.

And finally - does anyone send their children to private school/ If so what are the fees like?

Any help much appreciated.

Bezza

Hi Bezzandbob, I am a primary teacher too. I went to visit every state school and meet with the Principles in Cambridge (Waikato) in October/November this year! All the schools were great, welcoming, respectful children and just a great positive air. You can look up ERO reports for any and all schools (they are like OFSTED reports). Most schools have a website so that you can have a nosy around too.There are sites for the NZ curriculum and to show salary scales, if I get a mo I'll try and post them on here later.
There have been several threads on here about teaching in NZ and trying to get jobs there too. Seems the best bet is relief teaching first to get known, as a secondary teacher you might be luckier. Try looking at www.edgazette.govt.nz/vacancy , it splits jobs available up into different areas of the country. Another useful site is www.teachnz.govt.nz/overseas-trained-teachers
Bound to think of some more later, but good luck for now