Reload this Page >

Teaching in New Zealand

Teaching in New Zealand

Old Feb 12th 2017, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

whippetrun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in New Zealand

Hi!

First post on here so apologies if other people have posted the same/similar posts already.

I am a primary school teacher in the UK and looking to work and live (long-term) in NZ. I've been doing as much research as I can and have savings behind me.
I'm in my fourth year of teaching-including my PGCE training year- following a BA. Any help on an approximate salary would be helpful and whether that salary would be sufficient to live on as a single earner with no dependants would be excellent!

I would prefer to put a deposit down for a property rather than rent but not at all sure if a salary would enable me to do this based on monthly/fort nightly pay.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 13th 2017, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in New Zealand

Yes, a teachers salary is enough to live off. Whether you can afford a deposit on a house depends on your savings, how much you are prepared to take a mortgage on, and the area you are moving to. A house in Auckland will cost you around the million mark, depending on the area and closeness to CBD. In Invercargill, a similar house would cost around $250k. Good luck with your plans. Exciting times.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 12:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Neither primary or secondary school teacher appear on the New Zealand Immigration shortage lists at all & last word on the ground was there was a glut of home grown teachers chasing positions.

Your first port of call is to become NZ registered which is a requirement. <--- click the bold type for the link .

Your next hurdle is to be able to find actual work. NZ Teachers Gazette

If you know someone in education here , that may give you an 'in'

Good luck.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Obtaining a job and a visa will be your biggest hurdle.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look here for salary etc.

Part 3: Remuneration | Education in New Zealand

Primary teachers | Education in New Zealand

I've been teaching in Primary here for 3 1/2 years now. There is a huge lack of teachers in Auckland...but that's because it's hard to live there on a starting salary. There are also schools advertising posts in more rural areas. Have a look on Edgazette. The easiest way to a job is to do relieving and get seen and known in schools. Could you get a WHV and do that while you wait for a perm job?
Ask away :-)
Old Feb 13th 2017, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Thank you for all the information! Really helpful.

I'm fortunate to have friends in NZ, one of whom teaches and has offered to introduce to colleagues and a few schools.

I've been looking at property towards Palmerston, Fielding and West coast as this seems more realistic and affordable based on what deposit I could put down.

I've got the application forms to begin the application process to have my qualifications assessed.

Thank you-yes, I would definitely consider a WHV as a foot in the door so to speak. I'll definitely go away and do some research.

Has anyone got experience of attending seminars or information days run by 'immigration NZ' or similar? Was thinking it may be a good starting point to get some further tips and advice.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 13th 2017, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whippetrun
Thank you for all the information! Really helpful.

I'm fortunate to have friends in NZ, one of whom teaches and has offered to introduce to colleagues and a few schools.

I've been looking at property towards Palmerston, Fielding and West coast as this seems more realistic and affordable based on what deposit I could put down.

I've got the application forms to begin the application process to have my qualifications assessed.

Thank you-yes, I would definitely consider a WHV as a foot in the door so to speak. I'll definitely go away and do some research.

Has anyone got experience of attending seminars or information days run by 'immigration NZ' or similar? Was thinking it may be a good starting point to get some further tips and advice.

Thanks again!
Hmmm, if you have teaching friends out here I'm not sure a seminar would help. Especially if they charge you! Save your money for the move. And ask lots of questions on here
Old Feb 13th 2017, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Ok thank you.
I had an email about a couple of dates and tickets were I think only around £10. I just wondered if it would help on the visa process etc. I'm definitely going to get in touch again with my contacts and ask my list of questions as well as on here
Old Feb 13th 2017, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

j19fmm is providing good advice. Networks matter in NZ and principals need to be able to put a face with a CV. Do relief, get noticed, put the word out (once you're in NZ - you will get ignored if you're not in-country) and something will pop open eventually, if you're any good.

BEVS is also correct. Glut of teachers means positions can be hard to come by. Just because it's advertised doesn't mean they don't already have someone lined up - which frequently they do.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 2:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

WHV is a good idea if you are of the age to take one up.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Thank you for all the advice so far! A real help. I'm in the process of sending off qualifications to have them assessed in order to be NZ registered to teach. From what's been advised I think a WHV sounds the most sensible and practical to sample teaching and life in NZ.
Thank you!