British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Teaching in New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/teaching-new-zealand-796240/)

DannyB2k1 May 7th 2013 5:21 am

Teaching in New Zealand

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions about Teaching, moving and New Zealand in general. I thought this would be the best place to ask :)

I am currently living and teaching in the NT in Australia. My girlfriend is coming over to Australia in later months but not sure if she will have her second year granted, and therefore was going to try NZ for a year or two.
I am a Science teacher, with 4 years experience. I can teach Biology up to year 12/13, and all three confidently up to year 10/11.

What are the major places in NZ, where people live (I know this is a very broad question!:o) Or where expats mainly settle?

What are the major schools in these areas?

Is there many jobs at the moment? What is relief work like?

Is the curriculum similar to that of Australia or the UK?

I noticed its expensive to swap your certificate over, I believe I qualify for the mutual agreement.

Does the pay reflect the cost of living? It is significantly lower than Oz.

I have worked in two private schools and a public school. Therefore private schools would be my first choice.

I would like to start to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later, as it looks like it can take a while, and cost a few quid..well dollars!

Really appreciate any information given or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Daniel ;)

AndyEvs May 7th 2013 6:31 am

Re: Teaching in New Zealand

Job prospects here pretty poor in teaching at the moment.
Check the Education Gazette for vacancies.
Relief work very limited these days due to budget cuts to pay for Christchurch ($100k lopped off the budget in my school!)
Obviously the bigger cities are more likely to have vacancies.

garni May 7th 2013 8:22 pm

Re: Teaching in New Zealand

Hi Danny-
I am in the UK but taught for 6 years in NZ and due to go back in Sept.

What are the major places in NZ, where people live (I know this is a very broad question!) Or where expats mainly settle?
We live in Taupo- very popular tourist town but only 2 high schools, so i travelled 30 mins to school. Others may choose to settle in (Nth Island)Auckland, wellington or you could go over to New Plymouth. South Island Christchurch but dont know how you would feel about the quakes although that could happen anywhere. Some areas are a bit of a 'closed shop' for jobs and people migrate back to where they went to school and teach there. Sometimes you have to do some supply first and see what comes up.

Is there many jobs at the moment? I have been told there is not alot od movement at the moment.
What is relief work like? I managed to get relief and i have contacted my school and pretty sure i will be able to get some. I just approached schools with my CV. If you go to the cities i am sure you will get some if you are not too pickie but some schools may not be as desirable!

Is the curriculum similar to that of Australia or the UK?
NCEA- Its a credit system and you need so many to pass the year. Some private schools offer the baccalaureate system.

I noticed its expensive to swap your certificate over, I believe I qualify for the mutual agreement.

Does the pay reflect the cost of living?
Top of the payscale without responsibility i think is about $70,000- cost of living has gone up and unfortunately the exchange rate is pants at the moment too.
Hope some of that helps!