Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Teaching in New Zealand

Teaching in New Zealand

Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice
Default Teaching in New Zealand

Well the rumour mill has been at it again! The latest I've just heard is that Teachers need to pay (a lot of money!) to have the equivalent qualification when migrating from the UK to NZ! Is this true? Please bear in mind that my OH is the teacher and I will be the main visa applicant.

I would be very grateful to hear from any teachers who have experience in this matter!

BTW OH is a primary school teacher!!

Old Mar 25th 2009, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

helenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to all
Wink Re: Teaching in New Zealand

Hi,
I am a teacher, (secondary) from the UK. I have just sent my ITA in and as part of the requirements, I had to be registered with the NZ teaching council. I am the main applicant, but if your OH wants to teach in NZ, she MUST be registered.

First, I had to send all my documents, degree certificate, PGCE certificate and all secondary qualifications to NZQA. Just search NZQA. They assess the quals and give you a level plus a certificate to send to the teaching council. Cost I think was about $450 I think.

Then you must go onto the teach NZ website and download the application form, (the provisional one is for UK teachers applying to teach in NZ for the
1st time). You then have to send your degree cert, PGCE cert, QTS cert and NZQA assessment cert in to them. You can send certified copies in, I did. Cost was less, about $180 I think.

It takes about 12 weeks for the NZQA bit, then about 6 weeks for the Teach NZ bit. Then you can teach in NZ.

Most NZ employers won't entertain you until you're registered.

Good luck to you both. Hope it all turns out ok.

Helen