Teaching in Christchurch and Dunedin

Teaching in Christchurch and Dunedin

Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

theRices is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Christchurch and Dunedin

Originally Posted by MOSO
Hi,

Yes you're right primary school teachers do work in ECE, but they can't be in overall charge without ECE qualifications.

ECE teachers here need to have level 7 qualifications just the same as primary teachers. I think you're right to do this in NZ as it will put you at an advantage and help you understand the kiwi system and you'll build up those all important contacts. For example, the university of Waikato does a one year course :http://edlinked.soe.waikato.ac.nz/pr...3&page_id=9469
Thanks for that

We are off to Rolleston/Christchurch in September, I have found a course at Canterbury Uni and fingers cross I can start Feb next year They do a FLO and I am hoping to do that and work at the same time. Done my degree with the Open University so I am used to the distance learning bit

The only thing in our way is the PR now, ITA will be submitted as soon as we got Medicals back.
Old Jan 21st 2011, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching in Christchurch and Dunedin

Hi

Sounds like an excellent plan. I arrived Sep 09 and started my training in Feb 2010. Everyone said this was too soon, but I thought what else was I to do? On the first residential course I felt a bit lost (especially in the Maori/treaty of Waitangi sessions, causing much laughter!!!!!!) but it was an excellent way of meeting new people who have been very supportive. I'd also studied with the OU, but left the few original written transcripts in the UK, thinking I wouldn't need them as it was online, but I then needed to send them to the Uni here, so don't forget to bring them!

Apply as early as possible, certainly the teaching courses at Waikato are oversubscribed due to the government cutting places/funding (same old story as UK I'm afraid) so get your application off pronto.

Not sure about working at the same time? Presumably you'lll have to do placements in ECE centres just as we do in school as well as residential courses (I'm doing my course online too but still have 3 weeks away each year) which scuppers any plans of working so you'll have to check it out.

Finally, not good news, but you can't get a student loan anymore even with PR. They've recently changed the rules and now you have to have lived in NZ for 2 years, so don't forget to factor the costs into your figures!

Good luck with PR and the move and the course of course. It's good to have a firm plan which will focus your mind and make the move easier.