Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Teaching Assistant /which avenue for visa apps

Teaching Assistant /which avenue for visa apps

Old Jan 25th 2010, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold
Default Teaching Assistant /which avenue for visa apps

Hi,

Currently I'm a Teaching Assistant (NVQ level 3) but see that in NZ teacher's aides don't need qualifications, therefore it's not a needed skill.

We could apply for temp work permit, get any job and live from year to year (got 2 kids too)....

or go down the sibling route which may take 2 years or so....

or do I do a Primary Teaching degree which will take 4 years......

Any advice please!!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching Assistant /which avenue for visa apps

I can't help on the visa route as we didn't get in that way.

I worked as a teacher's assistant in the UK, but one thing you need to be aware of is that there are very few Teacher's Aides here in NZ in comparison to the UK. There are only 3 adverts for them on seek.co.nz at the moment for the whole of NZ.

NZ is a lot about who you know, not what you know, so I think you'd probably need to get NZ experience and get in that way. Although I haven't knocked on doors or pursued it that seriously since I arrived as I came by myself with the kids so was concentrating on getting them settled.

Suffice it to say that I have now enrolled on a 3 year Bachelor of Teaching degree to become a teacher instead.

I'm not sure how you could support a family on a Teacher's Aide's salary either?

Sorry to be the portrayer of bad news but it's better to be aware of the situation before taking the plunge. Hopefully someone else can advise you on the visa route. Good luck.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the reply....how much is your course then? My feelings are that I would rather do training there in the NZ way of thinking but wondered about the cost and how international students are accepted. My husband can drive buses, lorries etc and would be willing to work wherever doing whatever...

You went out and your partner worked?

All help would be really appreciated!

P.s.
My brother and his wife are secondary school teachers, living in Paraparaumu!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Cadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant futureCadibel has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 4pommes
Hi,

Currently I'm a Teaching Assistant (NVQ level 3) but see that in NZ teacher's aides don't need qualifications, therefore it's not a needed skill.

We could apply for temp work permit, get any job and live from year to year (got 2 kids too)....

or go down the sibling route which may take 2 years or so....

or do I do a Primary Teaching degree which will take 4 years......

Any advice please!!
Hi,

Both dh and I are secondary school teachers who have just moved to Auckland. As part of the process of getting our teacher registration, we had to have proof of 2 years 30 hours a week or more - which would add 6 years on to your wait

Also, I saw in your post you have a 13 year old son - is he keen on the move? If not, maybe worth trying now before he decides he doesn't want to come?

Just my 2 penn'orth
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:13 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 4pommes
Thanks for the reply....how much is your course then? My feelings are that I would rather do training there in the NZ way of thinking but wondered about the cost and how international students are accepted. My husband can drive buses, lorries etc and would be willing to work wherever doing whatever...

You went out and your partner worked?

All help would be really appreciated!

P.s.
My brother and his wife are secondary school teachers, living in Paraparaumu!
Hi there
If you want to drive bus or lorry here you have to take another test
you can only transfer you driving license Class 1
Enabling you to drive a car
I have a friend here who was a bus driver back in the UK and he has to take a six week course
cost of over $1000 to enable him to drive a bus in NZ.
just thought you should know
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies! It's inside information like this that prepsres the way....