Teaching

Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

sonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud of
Default Re: Teaching

Originally Posted by whitecloud
Is level 7 the standard for teachers? Do you get paid more or get more points.
Thanks for this - think I need to do a lot more research
most uk teachers are assessed at level 7. You are paid according to years of service. I had 4 years service but got paid for 6 as in uk i had credit for previous work exper. Not being full reg doesnt affect you wage but lots of school prefer fully reg as they have to get some one for a full days pay if you are prov reg. You have a day off per week for preparation time. it like doing nqt again. to get you head around nz teaching. What a laugh!!!!!!!!! you still have to be in school just not actually teach your class.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

ddavies73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, just outside Auckland. I have 7 years total experience from both the US and the UK. I am in the process of getting my salary assessed, but have been told only 3 will count as they were regular teaching positions. I just used the website to do my own quick assessment.

Yes, I know the the provisional does not change salary. It is just the pain to do the NQT year over again, attending classes that I have already done, being constantly observed (nothing to hide, just time consuming) etc. Also, like you mentioned, have been turned down for positions that I am more than capable of doing based on my current registration.

I am leaving partly because my personal quality of living is not what I have become accustomed to in the US. However, another part was that teaching in New Zealand is just not worth it. I struggle each week to pay the bills and get by. Then when I get to work I have, in my limited experience, found the children very immature, unmotivated and there is a huge lack of accountability on their part. Overall I would not mind, but, when they do badly on tests a lot of responsibility is placed on the teacher for the lack of results and under performance.

Last edited by ddavies73; Nov 27th 2008 at 5:46 am. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

guyandcheryl has a brilliant futureguyandcheryl has a brilliant futureguyandcheryl has a brilliant futureguyandcheryl has a brilliant futureguyandcheryl has a brilliant futureguyandcheryl has a brilliant future

Hi Guys,

Am sitting at home looking at all of this, and since arriving in Welly in August, have worked in various schools for about 80% of the time. Will be starting full time as Assistant HOD Geog and SS in Jan.

I have to say thatwhile I agree with the comments about registration and Quals assessment being a real pain in the a***, my experiences are somewhat different. I got Qual checks done from the UK, then registered with TC on arrival. I had a face-to-face meeting with the Head of Wellington College in the UK, contacted him on arrival and was working (relieving) within 3 days. I also signed up with Select Education and Educaton Personnel (both s***), but worked out that the best way to get things done was to speak direct to Principals. Check Ed Gazette (same as TES) for jobs and go straight for the top. I had 3 interviews, and was considered for all three, only Asst HOD is better for me.

Regarding salary, I am assessed at Level 7, as is everyone else, but had got my previous schools from the UK to send over Statements of Service, and this will get my salary back up to a more respectable level. It is very much like jumping through hoops, but the end result is definitely worth the effort.

We will probably come back to the UK one day, and having a Second in Dept on my CV will give me more chances back home than I had: I was not a genius at school and despite it being over 20 yrs ago, my poor A Level results have been holding me back. Here, I think they value the person more than the pieces of paper the person holds.

Good luck to all going home: have just spent sunday on the beach chilling out, not CHILLING all over as the folks back home!!

Merry Xmas,

Guy
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

mkumar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ddavies73
Just got my NZQA report back, and my PGCE was "assessed" as a Graduate Diploma of Teaching (Secondary) at Level 7. Even my BA (Hons.) got downgraded to just a BA!!!

Then, I got my teacher registration back, and checked online I found out that I have been provisionally registered. To be able to move to full I need to be employed in a teaching position for a minimum of 12.5 hours per week for 2 years and successfully participated in a supervised advice and guidance programme. According to the Teacher Council website I am no better than someone who has no teaching experience to apply for provisional registration.

I am so glad that I am not staying as when I look at the salary scale I will earn little more than NZ$43000. I can earn more that as a cop with only a high school diploma!!! How messed up is that. (my words were stronger)

Well I am off to meet Jack and celebrate that I have made a good decision.
Your experience/service in the UK would count towards your salary.

Being Provisionally registered just means that you will be observed a few times in the year - it doens't affect salaries. You could earn $60k and still be provisional.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Yes, as I said only three will count. The one year in the UK that I taught, and 2 years from the US. The reason only two count is that I spent the rest in an alternative educational setting.

I know the the provisional does not really have an affect on anything. However, I applied for positions with some of the "better" schools I was informed that parents want their children taught by someone with full registration.

However, now living in the UAE and have only worked part of a month and have earned more than three months in New Zealand. On top of that do not have to pay for accommodation, which killed us.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 1:08 am
Just Joined

wanttoteach is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi sorry to appear thick, but I understand that you get paid for years service. What does the assessment level mean? Can you apply for more senior jobs?

Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2009, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

wanttoteach is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi am having another panic. I can't swim...will this be a problem in teaching the NZ primary age curriculum?

Thanks
Old Feb 7th 2009, 3:39 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I read on the website with the (horrendously difficult to understand) collective agreement information that teaching in an alternative setting and even time away from work to raise children could be counted towards service. Don't ask me for any more details on where to find this info as I don't know how I found it - and after hours trawling through I still can't find the actual table with salaries on it. Frustrating!!!

Does anyone have any clues on what I could expect with a 4 year Bach Arts/Bach Education (combined degree)? Not going to worry about the experience adding to the pay yet as I only have a couple of years and I may not be able to get a statement of service for the longest one.

Thanks!
Old Feb 7th 2009, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Check this website

http://www.minedu.govt.nz/educationS...greements.aspx

This will give you salary agreements. Click for the level, and then look for "salary scales" Part 4 for secondary. As for what you will get it is anyone guess. Even when I got my assessment back I tried to put it on the scale and it came back a little lower.

As for the alternative settings and time to raise kids, I did not bother as the paperwork looked too complex. If I had tried to complete it I might think different. However, I was tried of all the forms and time it took to do even the most basic of things that I just gave up.

Hope that helps
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:46 pm
Wanderer

saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Found the ones for secondary and starting to feel a bit thick - I'm still none the wiser! I have a 4 year teaching degree (a one off, no masters or PGCE) but can't find it.

I thought I'd worked it out at $43k but speaking to a friend from Auckland and she reckons a 4 year trained teacher with no experience would start on $58k. That seems insane compared to the 43k! She's in primary so I checked that and it appears there's a whole other agreement for primary teachers but I can't find the actual table with the dollar amounts...
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

A lot is going to depend on the NZQA assessment. Somewhere out there in Cyber space is a flow chart of how Kiwi's can go about getting a teaching certificate. They then follow this flow chart when "assessing" your qualification. They gave me a level 7 for my degree, which worked out to be a G3, and then I think they added something for a PGCE. So my assessment comes out around NZ$43,000. I think that you are correct in your assessment. The only way to earn NZ$50000 is with management points.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

This from "Kiwicareers" - web site about jobs in NZ

"Secondary School Teacher - Pay and progression
Kaiako Kura Tuarua
Pay
Secondary school teachers with four years' tertiary study start on $43,897 a year, but can earn more depending on additional qualifications and experience.

Their pay increases incrementally each year for seven years according to a fixed scale, with the maximum pay $66,327 a year. However, secondary school teachers may earn more than this if they take on management roles such as those of dean or head of department.

Teachers of maths, te reo Māori, technology and physics get an additional $2,500 a year for their second, third and fourth year of teaching as an incentive.

Private and independent schools sometimes pay secondary school teachers an extra $2,000 to $3,000 a year.

Career Progression
Secondary school teachers may become senior teachers or heads of department. They may also move into management roles, such as assistant or deputy principal and principal.

Outside the school system, a teacher can teach trainee teachers in tertiary institutions, or move into research and policy roles in the education sector.

Teaching skills mean teachers can move into training roles within another industry.

Updated June 2008
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:53 am
Wanderer

Thanks for that! I thought $58000 sounded waaaaaaaay too good to be true!!!!