British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Teachers who qualified prior to 1992... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/teachers-who-qualified-prior-1992-a-615005/)

viv jones Jun 15th 2009 7:45 pm

Teachers who qualified prior to 1992...

Hi oldie teachers!
Has anyone else applied with a B.Sc and PGCE or B.Ed degree that was studied prior to 1992 at a college or poly before they all became unis? My husband and I are both qualified teachers but as we are in our 40s the name of the unis/courses have changed over time. I thought we were sailing through with 165 points having both taught, using our degress for 20 years now (skilled area of shortage in NZ). However our EOI application has just been declined as they cannot track our courses/colleges/polys. We have sent all the certificates etc off to NZQA for authorisation and are now waiting with fingers crossed. Does anyone know if we are likey to be successful and has been through this process???
Thanks Viv

j19fmm Jun 16th 2009 8:45 pm

Re: Teachers who qualified prior to 1992...

Hi, who you calling old?? I qualified in 1986 at West Sussex Institute of Higher Education in Sussex with a BEd Hons .I wrote to the now University of Chichester and they sent me a full course transcript and my mark sheet. I also had to get a repeat certificate which was done by the OU. All confusing but not too hard to do.
NZQA assessed it all at a level 7. Afraid they won't see it as an Honours degree.How did you end up with so many points? Is that because you can both claim points on the application?
Good luck I'm sure it'll be fine :)

viv jones Jun 16th 2009 9:08 pm

Hiya
Yes both of us have Hons degrees and my husband has a PGCE as well (we have over 20yrs of teaching experience each which gave us more but as the EOI people did not give us points for our quals we could not have the work experience ones either!) We thought we were safe but no we were initially turned down... We have sent loads of stuff off to NZQA now but I cannot get a full transcrift or my marks as my old College doesn't keep records past 1986 and I started in 1984. I have got them to send me a summary syllabus though and my husband has his transcript.

Did you have this initial problem with your EOI and but then NZQA were okay?

You have given me a glimmer of hope though and seem to have got them verified without appeal etc...so fingers crossed. Yours was a college very similar to ours and you did a B.Ed too so.....!

Thanks for the reply
Viv

j19fmm Jun 17th 2009 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by viv jones (Post 7670826)
Hiya
Yes both of us have Hons degrees and my husband has a PGCE as well (we have over 20yrs of teaching experience each which gave us more but as the EOI people did not give us points for our quals we could not have the work experience ones either!) We thought we were safe but no we were initially turned down... We have sent loads of stuff off to NZQA now but I cannot get a full transcrift or my marks as my old College doesn't keep records past 1986 and I started in 1984. I have got them to send me a summary syllabus though and my husband has his transcript.

Did you have this initial problem with your EOI and but then NZQA were okay?

You have given me a glimmer of hope though and seem to have got them verified without appeal etc...so fingers crossed. Yours was a college very similar to ours and you did a B.Ed too so.....!

Thanks for the reply
Viv

Hey Viv, sorry not even got as far as the EOI bit as other family bits to sort first. I'm sure you'll get your points. This is the second time I've had mine done by NZQA, had them done in 1995 but didn't keep a copy and they won't just send you the original judgement if over 3 years.
It's really the scores and the Degree cert, then accredited years of service. I got a letter from the schools I taught in and a letter from the County Council detailing my years/months of work done for them.
:fingerscrossed: for you, let me know how it goes. Where are you planning to head to?

keyholekate Jun 17th 2009 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by viv jones (Post 7667490)
Hi oldie teachers!
Has anyone else applied with a B.Sc and PGCE or B.Ed degree that was studied prior to 1992 at a college or poly before they all became unis? My husband and I are both qualified teachers but as we are in our 40s the name of the unis/courses have changed over time. I thought we were sailing through with 165 points having both taught, using our degress for 20 years now (skilled area of shortage in NZ). However our EOI application has just been declined as they cannot track our courses/colleges/polys. We have sent all the certificates etc off to NZQA for authorisation and are now waiting with fingers crossed. Does anyone know if we are likey to be successful and has been through this process???
Thanks Viv

Hi - yes - it's ok! I qualified in 1978, and I really think it's up to you to do all the leg work to sort out where your certification is - but be reassured, it is traceable. My college no longer exists, but my qualification was a BEd and was therefore certified by the local university, so you need to contact their exam certification department - the registrar should know who that is. After that it was very simple for them to send, not a transcript (degree too old) but a stamped verification letter to say that I really was a qualified teacher. Did you not have to get this information to NZQA though, and to the Teacher's Council? Good luck.

viv jones Jun 17th 2009 6:16 pm

Thanks both of you for the reassurance!

Both of us have our certifications safely in file etc and we sent our EOI in thinking the points were in the bag and paper work ready and complete......then we would get the NZQA/NZ teacher council assessment once our ITA went in and was being processed... but wrong we obviously should have done the NZQA process first...I thought a B.Ed/B.Sc. allowed us to claim the points anyhow and then the ITA would check up!!!!

Being "declined" was a nightmare in that I had flown out for 3 days the week before to enroll the kids into a great school for Jan and bought a house!!!! But with your experiences I feel better and will just wait now for NZQA to do their thing!!! Still I shall feel mighty relieved when the "word" comes through...there is always that doubt!

As for where we are going.....Greenhithe in North Shore, Auckland took my fancy...don't know anyone and no jobs in place but need a change from the trudge of teaching Phys Ed to unenthusiastic 16 to 18 yr olds since 1991 in the same college!!!!!

Bit of a leap of faith but fingers crossed

Viv