British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Teachers/Social Workers? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/teachers-social-workers-847827/)

jen_jen Nov 26th 2014 9:29 pm

Teachers/Social Workers?

Hello,
With recent residency and lack of jobs that I find challenging in Queenstown I'm considering doing some re-training.

I have a BSc from a UK university, graduated 1995 and have often considered being either a teacher (secondary) or a Social Worker. I even thought about doing these in the UK so its not a desperate 'find something to do' thought, more of a 'been in the back of my mind for some time' thought.

Anyhows, I am having a little trouble knowing the places to look. I could trawl all the University/college prosprectus' but would appreciate a little guidance. I've looked on Careers NZ and teach NZ but its not clear what I'm looking for.

What kind of/name of qualification am I looking for to use my BSc degree and convert this to a teaching qualification? (in the UK I would look for a PGCE for example)

What would be the name of a social worker course/qualification?

Does anyone know of any distance learning courses/providers - I like living in Queenstown and don't really want to move at the moment.

Any other info that you think I may find useful in researching these options.

Thanks in advance

BEVS Nov 26th 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Teachers/Social Workers?

My first thought and instant thought here is to go for Social Worker. Teaching is a hard occupation to find a job or permanent position

Mind you I am not in either field so may be talking nonsense. Hopefully others in the know can guide you better.

TommyLuck Nov 26th 2014 10:07 pm

On the basis of; you never know ... how about - Sky Diving instructor?

$55k a year a friend of a friend makes a year, although he does get paid per jump rather than a salary.

A job for life you could travel the world with. People will always want to jump out of planes in scenic places for a silly cost on the basis that it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Totally understand if it doesn't appeal, it's not really career is it. But I've got a few what if I was to re-train type ideas in my head in case of a being short of work and the above is on my list.

Short of this left field suggestion is there any opportunity to work in community projects for the yoof or something like that? Perhaps it'll give you an in to further your qualifications.

Like BEVS above, I may be talking nonsense as I know nothing.

MrsFychan Nov 26th 2014 10:32 pm

I am personally seeing the glut of NZ trained social workers as well as NZ trained teachers not getting into jobs once they are trained. might be better in the SI but thats what I see and have been told is happening in the lower North Island

jen_jen Nov 26th 2014 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 11485343)
On the basis of; you never know ... how about - Sky Diving instructor?

$55k a year a friend of a friend makes a year, although he does get paid per jump rather than a salary.

A job for life you could travel the world with. People will always want to jump out of planes in scenic places for a silly cost on the basis that it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Actually TommyLuck not that left of field. I have considered paragliding but I don't think my non-mathmatical mind is quite up to the considerations of wind/draft etc. I have a few friends who take me up once in a while. A good way to travel the world indeed.

Not done a parachute jump yet, missed out on locals day this year as we were away in Europe, but come May we should get a jump in.

jen_jen Nov 26th 2014 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11485358)
I am personally seeing the glut of NZ trained social workers as well as NZ trained teachers not getting into jobs once they are trained. might be better in the SI but thats what I see and have been told is happening in the lower North Island

I suppose that is a consideration, don't want to pay for the training (both time and $) and not get a job at the end. With both of these qualification though, if I returned to the UK I could use them there.

what to do?? what to do??

MOSO Nov 27th 2014 4:56 am

Canterbury, Waikato and Massey are the main universities which do online postgrad teaching degrees. Waikato and Massey offer 1 year courses and Canterbury offer 15 month. Canterbury has an excellent reputation but its course finishes at the end of the term 1 so it's harder to find jobs. Jobs in primary teaching are so over subscribed it's just not funny - over 100 per advertised job and many go to internal candidates as virtually all teachers start on fixed term contracts.

If you do decide to train, bear in mind you need to have PR and have lived in NZ for at least 2 years (with PR) in order to get a student loan. You also have to pay back the student loan if you return to live in the UK.

Make sure you also volunteer in schools, it will give you valuable experience and most importantly contacts.

MrsFychan Nov 27th 2014 5:36 am

Originally Posted by jen_jen (Post 11485367)
I suppose that is a consideration, don't want to pay for the training (both time and $) and not get a job at the end. With both of these qualification though, if I returned to the UK I could use them there.

what to do?? what to do??

you would have to see how a NZ qualification would be accessed in another country

dannigirl Nov 27th 2014 1:05 pm

Look at Massey and Otago Universities for extramural study for a social work degree. But depending on what your BSc is in, you may end up studying another 2-3 years depending on cross credits from your degree.

If it was me, I would not retrain into either, especially if you plan to stay in Queenstown. Jobs in either field would be like hens teeth. Maybe an option would be to look at retaining as an early years teacher, then you may have the option of opening up a nursery/childcare centre, but seems like a big risk. Both NZ qualifications would allow you to work in the UK easily I would expect, with qualifications assessed of course by UK authorities.

You'll need to think outside of the box if you plan to stay in Queenstown. Owning a business, property investment, working in tourism? Your best bet for retraining and then working in Queenstown would be in the hospitality industry I would've thought

As you'll be aware there just isn't the permanent population in Queenstown, it's a tourist hot spot and that's where the jobs are. I do see from time to time jobs coming up in Alexandra in social work, but not enough to retrain and risk no job.

jen_jen Nov 27th 2014 5:54 pm

THANKS everyone, you have all given me someplaces to go and investigate further. :thumbsup:

Early years??? Not really my thing! (is there a horror smilie?)

Social work and teaching as I said earlier were not just to find a job, more that I've always considered training further and these appeal. If we decide to stay for PR (without travel restrictions) We will need to stay at least another 18 months, study and working towards a qualification will make that time purposeful. The other consideration and probably better suited to Qtown is Counselling (Psychology Degree) but I'm not sure I really want to do that.

Yes Qtown is a strange town, we have been here 2 years and overall its great, current job is in hospitality and its just not challenging/purposeful enough. The other half works trade so we could relocate easily but I'm not convinced on our adventures around NZ that we would enjoy another town/city. Christchurch was a consideration when we first arrived as we'd really enjoyed it when we were here in 2010 but sadly the earthquake had its way and it just didn't feel right. Some small towns have been nice to visit but to live there, I honestly think I'd get cabin fever - Qtown feels small a lot of the time. Auckland, nah, Wellington - perhaps...

We've had it fairly easy compared to most other people who come over to NZ and have choices about what to do. In time I think we will return to the UK as we really like the UK, its just we really like here too!!

Starting our own business is a possibility but we need to make a decision to stay forever if thats what we are going to do as the time and financial commitment will be huge, combined with the many many small business owners in NZ who are struggling. A bit of a conflicting argument here I know - commit and start business then it will be fulfilling/start business and then commit when its fulfilling!!!

Property investment - are you having a laugh??? Not a chance of having enough money in this neck of the woods! And a reluctance to take on a mortgage.

Anywho enough of my mental musings (I can assure you there are many many many) Thanks again for the guidance and if any of you are in this neck of the woods enjoying yourselves pop in for a brew ;)