Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Teacher training...UK or NZ

Teacher training...UK or NZ

Old Jan 31st 2010, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teacher training...UK or NZ

Hi

Just make sure you finish your OU degree in the UK. I started one last year with the intention of finishing it here in NZ. 2 words of warning:

NZ is not a country that you can continue to do an Open University degree from, even if you pay international fees (there is no reciprical agreement).

Okay, I thought I'll use credit transfer and continue at Massey Uni here who do extramural - but NO! The two level 1 courses I did both worth 30 points are only considered to be worth 15 points each. The level 2 course I did worth 60 points they would only consider as 30 points at level 1. All in all a bit of a waste of time and money and would need adding an extra year to my degree.

I contacted the OU to try to sort it all out. They said that yes their courses are set to European standards, but (and it's a bit BUT) it is up to the University you are transferring to decide what they think it's worth.

Hence I'm starting again this year doing the teaching degree in NZ from the beginning.

Nothing in life is as simple as we hope!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

paulemma is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 4pommes
Ok..I need a degree. Trying to sort this out with OU as open degree.

Would anyone recommend any of these options in particular.......

get degree here then 1 year postgraduate ECE as international student (£10,000) while applying for work to get pr

get degree and PGCE primary here, apply for pr as teacher, get job in NZ and 1 year postgrad ECE.

Thanks!! You are all so helpful!
Hi All,

I am in the process of having my qualification assessed with NZQA for Early Years and have a BA Hons Degree Early Years with Education QTS. I was originally told but min of education that there is no Early Years qualification in the UK that matches one in NZ.
However I have recently been speaking to 2 poeple who have recently had a positive assessemnt from NZQA and have got jobs and on their way. One of the girls did an Early Years Degree for 0 - 8 in this country and that was the only qualification she had. She has not got a teachers qualification on top of that.
If you need ay more info or want a copy of email from min of education then feel free to PM me.
Keep your fingers crossed for me and good luck to you all
Emma
Old Feb 26th 2010, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

debbiegr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am new to all this but wondering can anybody help. I have a degree in English and History and I will be finishing my HDip in Education in May. (Irish). Does anybody know if this is accepted in NZ? Also I have only one years part time teaching experience gained through the course (mornings are spent teaching, afternoons in University lectures). Is this going to be a problem?

Thanks very much
Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Teacher training...UK or NZ

Originally Posted by debbiegr
Hi, I am new to all this but wondering can anybody help. I have a degree in English and History and I will be finishing my HDip in Education in May. (Irish). Does anybody know if this is accepted in NZ? Also I have only one years part time teaching experience gained through the course (mornings are spent teaching, afternoons in University lectures). Is this going to be a problem?

Thanks very much
Hi
Yes both are accepted by the NZQA but u do need to prove 2 years teaching experience for permanent residence. Or you did when I had mine verified in 2005
Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information. Do you know canyou get temp residency with less than 2 years experience?
Old Feb 26th 2010, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold

My brother and his wife were given PR straight away...they had only just qualified as new teachers (secondary) and so had now paid experience. This was 5 years ago now almost.

hth

Lydia
Old Feb 26th 2010, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Lydia, That gives me some hope
Old Feb 27th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiegr

Thanks very much
Not sure about this one, if you don't find it on the NZIS list I'd go for NZQA, better to be sure up front. Good luck
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 3:16 am
DGH
Danni

DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice

Originally Posted by dave77
Sorry for cutting in on this thread

Rob, my wife is looking at doing the 1 year post grad course when/if we finally arrive in ChCh! NZ doesn't recognise her UK teaching quals (Graduate Teachers Program not PGCE)

Just wondered what the entry requirements are for the course? My wife got a 2:2 in her UK degree and I'm worried it may not be enough for entry onto the course

How did she find the course?
Hi, my partner did a GTP in the UK too. Not recognised here, so he's currently at the Graduate School of Education in Christchurch training to teach (again!). The good thing about the Grad School is that you qualify when you complete all their standards and this can be less than 1 year. It takes 1 year to complete the same course at all other uni's in the country. He also has reduced course fee's as we have PR.

I doubt very much that it will be a problem to have a 2:2 - this is a great grade! Also, once qualified to teach here in NZ the teachers council will recognise your previous teaching experience from the UK and put you on the salary scale accordingly.

Good luck and let me know if you need more advice. PS: I did a PGCE and am supply teaching here at the moment - no full time permanent jobs out there! (thats in secondary PE). So, get saving just in case!
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DGH
Hi, my partner did a GTP in the UK too. Not recognised here, so he's currently at the Graduate School of Education in Christchurch training to teach (again!). The good thing about the Grad School is that you qualify when you complete all their standards and this can be less than 1 year. It takes 1 year to complete the same course at all other uni's in the country. He also has reduced course fee's as we have PR.

I doubt very much that it will be a problem to have a 2:2 - this is a great grade! Also, once qualified to teach here in NZ the teachers council will recognise your previous teaching experience from the UK and put you on the salary scale accordingly.

Good luck and let me know if you need more advice. PS: I did a PGCE and am supply teaching here at the moment - no full time permanent jobs out there! (thats in secondary PE). So, get saving just in case!
Hi DGH!

Thats great to know, thanks for the info. Great to hear from someone in the same boat with regard to the GTP, makes me realise it is something we can work around

Best of luck to your OH with the course, fingers crossed he will finish it earlier than planned. Good luck finding a permanent job, I've heard ChCh can be a tough one to break into as the teacher training college is there

Thanks again
Old Mar 17th 2010, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

cows_go_moo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave77
Sorry for cutting in on this thread

Rob, my wife is looking at doing the 1 year post grad course when/if we finally arrive in ChCh! NZ doesn't recognise her UK teaching quals (Graduate Teachers Program not PGCE)

Just wondered what the entry requirements are for the course? My wife got a 2:2 in her UK degree and I'm worried it may not be enough for entry onto the course

How did she find the course?
Don't worry about all that 2:2/2:1 degree stuff - there's really no such thing in NZ (at least with my B.A Hons). I did the secondary one year course in 2001 (Wellington) and they literally took anyone, trusting that natural selection would cull the unsuitables from the herd! It worked because all the loonies dropped out by about Easter.

The diploma course itself couldn't really be more different from the UK PGSE year. Namely, whole heap less stress!
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

fitzandindiana is on a distinguished road

my daughter is about to start her Cache Diploma in early years child care, is this recognised in New Zealand as she is wanting to work with young children when we come to NZ in two years time?
Old Mar 17th 2010, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by cows_go_moo
Don't worry about all that 2:2/2:1 degree stuff - there's really no such thing in NZ (at least with my B.A Hons). I did the secondary one year course in 2001 (Wellington) and they literally took anyone, trusting that natural selection would cull the unsuitables from the herd! It worked because all the loonies dropped out by about Easter.

The diploma course itself couldn't really be more different from the UK PGSE year. Namely, whole heap less stress!
Thanks cows go moo! Thats reassuring to know, will tell my good lady wife she will be pleased to hear that!

All the best!
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:45 am
Just Joined

Craggyfarm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Go for the Grad School in Christchurch - http://nzgse.ac.nz/. Dip Tchg in less than a year! Many Brits have gone through it and they are very helpful and also sceptical about the Teachers Council quirkiness! See also:

http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/c...ir20070704.stm

for their latest policy on GTPs. Good luck.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Craggyfarm
Hi, Go for the Grad School in Christchurch - http://nzgse.ac.nz/. Dip Tchg in less than a year! Many Brits have gone through it and they are very helpful and also sceptical about the Teachers Council quirkiness! See also:

http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/c...ir20070704.stm

for their latest policy on GTPs. Good luck.
Hey Craggyfarm! Thats awesome, great website..have just been reading up on the course! Many thanks for sharing!

All the best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.