British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Teacher training (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/teacher-training-393134/)

renew Aug 27th 2006 10:23 pm

Teacher training

Hi folks,
Anyone got experience of teaching in New Zealand and even better anyone has anyone trained to be a teacher in New Zealand?
My partner and I are planning to move to New Zealand in the near future. I have a background in physics and electronics and cant see much relevant work for my skills at the moment so I am seriously thinking about retraining when i get there.

Any information gratefully recieved :beer:

cheers

StevieB Aug 29th 2006 12:21 am

Re: Teacher training

Originally Posted by renew
Hi folks,
Anyone got experience of teaching in New Zealand and even better anyone has anyone trained to be a teacher in New Zealand?
My partner and I are planning to move to New Zealand in the near future. I have a background in physics and electronics and cant see much relevant work for my skills at the moment so I am seriously thinking about retraining when i get there.

Any information gratefully recieved :beer:

cheers

I can't help I'm afraid, but someone on here is bound to know something, or someone who does. I'll give you the advice Dannyf gave me, keep putting posts in your thread which will keep it on page 1 of the forum..people will eventually have something informative to pass on.
Steve

IainW Aug 29th 2006 6:27 am

What do you want to know? I was a teacher (Intermediate) in Auckland when we first came over, and now work training teacher aides. I'm taking a load of potential trainee teachers on a visit to Massey Uni next Monday. Ask away!

renew Sep 16th 2006 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by IainW
What do you want to know? I was a teacher (Intermediate) in Auckland when we first came over, and now work training teacher aides. I'm taking a load of potential trainee teachers on a visit to Massey Uni next Monday. Ask away!

Hi,
sorry for the delay in replying. I have been away at a conference.

I am thinking of changing career paths . My qualifications are:
BEng Electronics
Msc In semiconductor science and technology
Phd in physics ( working on solar cells)
I am a bit at a loss at to what i could teach , jack of all trades etc..
Also not sure about the process. In the UK you can train & work at the schools and get your qualification that way is this possible in NZ or is it just the dregree route?

IainW Sep 16th 2006 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by renew
Hi,
sorry for the delay in replying. I have been away at a conference.

I am thinking of changing career paths . My qualifications are:
BEng Electronics
Msc In semiconductor science and technology
Phd in physics ( working on solar cells)
I am a bit at a loss at to what i could teach , jack of all trades etc..
Also not sure about the process. In the UK you can train & work at the schools and get your qualification that way is this possible in NZ or is it just the dregree route?

You would need to obtain a graduate diploma of teaching (Early Years, Primary or Secondary depending on your interest) which is a one year full time course available at a number of institutions throughout NZ. Once you had that, you could register with the Teachers Council and get a job. Once you start working, you serve a 2 year probationary period and are then able to get full registration.

With your previous qualifications, you wouldn't have much trouble getting a position as a science teacher in a secondary school! You may also want to look at tertiary education - depending on where you work, many tertiary providers don't require formal qualifications, just expertise in your field.

I'd strongly advise taking some time to go and do some voluntary work or observe in schools to see what teaching involves. Even if you know teachers, you can't get an understanding of the job without observing in a school to see what really goes on.

Some links:
TeachNZ (A very useful government site)
Massey School of Education
The Teacher's Council