Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Teacher Registration Advice Please...

Teacher Registration Advice Please...

Old Jul 29th 2008, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Flan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really nice
Default Teacher Registration Advice Please...

I have sent of my application to NZ Teachers Council to get registration (apparently I need this before I sumbit the ITA seeing as I am the main applicant).

Anyway, they have replied saying that they can either grant be provisional registration now or if I send a certified copy of my threshold application they will give me full registration STC. Are there any teachers who can advise me on whether this makes a difference?

Should I bother getting my threshold certified (ie. more expense and hassle) or should I just accept provisional registration? Im not sure how this affects employment opportunities and/or salary?

Are there any teachers who have moved to NZ who can help with this please?

Thanks,

Flan
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

sonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud of
Default Re: Teacher Registration Advice Please...

Originally Posted by Flan View Post
I have sent of my application to NZ Teachers Council to get registration (apparently I need this before I sumbit the ITA seeing as I am the main applicant).

Anyway, they have replied saying that they can either grant be provisional registration now or if I send a certified copy of my threshold application they will give me full registration STC. Are there any teachers who can advise me on whether this makes a difference?

Should I bother getting my threshold certified (ie. more expense and hassle) or should I just accept provisional registration? Im not sure how this affects employment opportunities and/or salary?

Are there any teachers who have moved to NZ who can help with this please?

Thanks,

Flan
hye having full registration doesnt make any difference to pay so you can do it here. I am a teacher and live in bay of plenty but have not got a full time job yet. I have lived here for two years now and was a reception teacher for 4 years prior to arriving here. hope you fair better than me. I do supply work in schools.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:43 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

If you are provisionally registered you are supervised (in theory) a bit more though aren't you? Are fully registered teachers entitled to more release days? (or is it the opposite).

Is it much more expensive to be fully registered? I was also thinking in terms of some schools not wanting too many provisionally registered teachers (although, of course they can argue that you are fully capable, just not nz registered) on their role.

I can't truly help though, not a teacher so i was just sounding out a couple of options from what i know.

There are a few people here who are teachers/partners who are teachers so they can maybe help.

Good luck
Old Aug 4th 2008, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Flan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really niceFlan is just really nice

Thanks for the replies!

I e-mailed the Ministry of Education and they aid the level of registration does not affect pay or job prospects just means that you get supported for longer!

Also NZ Teaching Council have said that if I accept provisional registration now, I can always show them my threshold documents once I am in NZ and they can upgrade my registration to 'full subject to contract' which means I only have 3 months supervision before I receive full registration (this is because I have been teaching for longer 5 years and because I am Head of Department here in the UK). This may help others in a similar situation. As far as the ITA is concerned you only need to prove some form of registration, doesn't matter what level.

Thanks again guys for your help
Old Aug 4th 2008, 11:25 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Flan.

The Ministry was a bit naughty telling you that it doesn't effect job prospects. I suppose in theory it doesn't. But some schools may be concerned about statistics. Not all, but some who are concerned with stats. Eg those schools would see telling people they have say 5 provisionally registered teachers out of 15 as opposed to say 2 provisionally registered teachers in the school (implying the school lacks experienced teachers if only provisionally registered).

However, it doesn't seem to be a concern either way since you obviously have the experience. A friend of mine came back to NZ (she trained here but left straight after graduation) after teaching in the UK and found that because she, like you, was quite obviously experienced the supervision was minimal.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

mkumar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonandbill View Post
hye having full registration doesnt make any difference to pay so you can do it here. I am a teacher and live in bay of plenty but have not got a full time job yet. I have lived here for two years now and was a reception teacher for 4 years prior to arriving here. hope you fair better than me. I do supply work in schools.
Did you come over with a 2 yr residence visa? If so, did you get PR through supply work?

I've came over to Auckland last week - was a teacher back in the UK. Looking for permanent post, but reliefing at the mo.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

sonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mkumar View Post
Did you come over with a 2 yr residence visa? If so, did you get PR through supply work?

I've came over to Auckland last week - was a teacher back in the UK. Looking for permanent post, but reliefing at the mo.
we got permanent residency before we arrived here not too sure why! I have had one long term relieving job for one and a half terms and that was at the end of 2006 the year in which we arrived. last year i did relieving and had a one day contract for crt for the last term only at my local school. this year i have been relieving at several schools locally. I despair in finding full time work.