Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Teacher registration

Teacher registration

Old Aug 15th 2005, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Fishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant future
Default Teacher registration

I would be grateful if anyone knows if full NZQA assessment is required for registration with the teachers council. i've had the prelim one done which has given me a level. I'm worried about a). -the red tape involved b)running out of time before i have to submit my ITA c)the cost!!!!!!!
thanks
Old Aug 15th 2005, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teacher registration

Originally Posted by Fishy
I would be grateful if anyone knows if full NZQA assessment is required for registration with the teachers council. i've had the prelim one done which has given me a level. I'm worried about a). -the red tape involved b)running out of time before i have to submit my ITA c)the cost!!!!!!!
thanks
Not sure what you mean between prelim and full?

As long as you've got level 7 or higher you should be fine to register with the teaching council, can't remember how long it took, but the letter we have from the teaching council says allow 4-6 weeks for processing, we got that done before we submitted EOI.

I do remember the assessment to registration felt like it was taking forever, and we had to have the registration number to qualify for the points in EOI.

Costs $120 (£48) so not going to break the bank.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

JoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant future

[took me a long time because my college closed and it was a long time ago. Also I am one of the now very rare breed of T-certs (which was a common qualification when I were a lass), but assessment came through at the end.
Mine took 16weeks but I think that's the exception rather than the rule
Joanna
Old Aug 15th 2005, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Fishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant futureFishy has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Teacher registration

Originally Posted by planty
Not sure what you mean between prelim and full?

As long as you've got level 7 or higher you should be fine to register with the teaching council, can't remember how long it took, but the letter we have from the teaching council says allow 4-6 weeks for processing, we got that done before we submitted EOI.

I do remember the assessment to registration felt like it was taking forever, and we had to have the registration number to qualify for the points in EOI.

Costs $120 (£48) so not going to break the bank.

Many thanks for your information.
What i mean is that i gained a preliminary assessment ,(which is what i think you are referring to and did'nt cost very much,) over the internet which gave me a level 7. I did not need to send any proof of documents for this. However, when i came to fill in my form for teacher registration it asks for 'Full' assessment, which is what i was unclear about. I think I'll cross my fingers and go with what i've got.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fishy
Many thanks for your information.
What i mean is that i gained a preliminary assessment ,(which is what i think you are referring to and did'nt cost very much,) over the internet which gave me a level 7. I did not need to send any proof of documents for this. However, when i came to fill in my form for teacher registration it asks for 'Full' assessment, which is what i was unclear about. I think I'll cross my fingers and go with what i've got.
Hi Fishy, not sure that's gonna be good enough, sorry, when we were going through that stage OH had get a break down of year by year university results and copies of each, and that was just to send for the assessment. This stage also had to verified, which means they have to write to your university to check that you did gain this qualification, I think this also took about 6 weeks to arrive. You need to have a special number to send to the teacher's registration council from the assessment people, plus a copy of police record. That took us best of 4 months before we even got to the EOI.