British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Teacher arriving in Taranaki in July (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/teacher-arriving-taranaki-july-796083/)

Gill84 May 5th 2013 8:14 am

Teacher arriving in Taranaki in July

I'm a 28 year old primary teacher from Scotland and I'm moving to New Plymouth in Taranaki, hopefully in July, if my visa arrives in time!
I'm currently teaching at an international school in Hong Kong, and prior to this I taught in the Middle East and Scotland. So I've got pretty good at moving across the world and facing a culture shock!
The only difference this time is that I'm moving to New Zealand to join my boyfriend, who is a kiwi from New Plymouth, who I met in Hong Kong.
My main worries are the job situation in New Plymouth for primary teachers - if anyone knows what it's like, and how easy it is to secure a full time teaching position, I'd love to hear from you. My boyfriend seems to think that the various contacts he has - friends who are teachers, and friends of friends who are teachers - will be enough to help me secure a job, but I'm not feeling so confident about this!
Secondly, I know New Plymouth is not a haven for expats like Auckland and Wellington are, but I'm really keen to make my own friends there as soon as possible as I think that'll help me feel more happy and settled...so I'd love to hear from any other female expats in the area that'd be keen to meet up for a coffee or wine, and to share their experiences on life in the Naki!
Gill :)

AndyEvs May 5th 2013 7:19 pm

Re: Teacher arriving in Taranaki in July

Hi Gill, my wife (Gill) is a primary trained teacher and we live in New Plymouth. We have recently come back here from International school in Qatar, where were you?

Your boyfriend is right to say that it's not so much what you know but who you know. Very true for NZ and 10 times more so in Taranaki. Gill has never worked as a primary teacher here as getting in to the primary schools here is not easy and she decided it was not a 'game' she wanted to play. Job prospects in primary are quite limited (have a look on the Education Gazette). But that is not to say it won't happen. If you 'know' people here then you might start out with some relief work/maternity cover and work your way in that way.
New Plymouth is certainly a long way (geographically and culturally) from the 'big' cities, but there are plenty of places for a coffee!
We are in our 40's so probably not much use to you socially but if you have any questions about schools, NP etc let us know. Good luck.

Gill84 May 6th 2013 1:28 pm

Thanks for your reply AndyEvs! I was in the Middle East for 3 years and I taught expat and local kids in a small city called Al Ain, which is about 90 mins drive south of Dubai in the Emirates. I quite enjoyed living and working there, even though it didn't have the glamorous bright lights of Dubai, so I'm hoping I'll feel the same about New Plymouth! I did love the UAE though and would definately consider moving there in the future again. Why did you leave there and come to New Zealand?
I spent 2 weeks in New Plymouth over Christmas 2012, so I understand what you mean about the coffee shops...there seems to be lots of them for such a small town centre!
Trips to Auckland and Wellington can be done during holidays and weekends if I really need some city life! As a girl who loves shopping for new clothes, and loves the British highstreet, the only thing i know I'll definately miss about city living is the shopping! New Plymouth shops seemed absolutely awful! Eek!
I'll definately be in touch once my visa and teacher registration is sorted, to pick your brain about schools there!

AndyEvs May 6th 2013 6:47 pm

We were north of Doha, working for the gas company, living in a huge compound. To cut a long story short the school management changed and over 90 teachers left in one year! We'd go back once the kids have left home, quite fancy Abu Dabi or one of the smaller UAE places.