British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Teabags and Bovril (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/teabags-bovril-889378/)

wakwak Dec 30th 2016 12:10 pm

Teabags and Bovril

Merry Christmas everyone! I'm on countdown now with only a few weeks left in the uk

So the clearing of the house has started in earnest, and all the cleaning and disinfecting etc

I have a question on foodstuffs.... can I ship unopened bovril and teabags and olive oil??? Crown say no, reading on MPI they say maybe.... thoughts?

Kotare Dec 30th 2016 4:46 pm

Re: Teabags and Bovril

Originally Posted by wakwak (Post 12138990)
Merry Christmas everyone! I'm on countdown now with only a few weeks left in the uk

So the clearing of the house has started in earnest, and all the cleaning and disinfecting etc

I have a question on foodstuffs.... can I ship unopened bovril and teabags and olive oil??? Crown say no, reading on MPI they say maybe.... thoughts?

You can as long as you declare it, but it may lead to delays while they check it. We bring in (sealed) Marmite, mincemeat, sweets etc in accompanied baggage and providing it is declared usually get waved through Customs.

jmh Dec 30th 2016 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12139130)
You can as long as you declare it, but it may lead to delays while they check it. We bring in (sealed) Marmite, mincemeat, sweets etc in accompanied baggage and providing it is declared usually get waved through Customs.

Yes, that's been my experience. So long as you declare it, it is unopened and clearly for your own use (i.e. you are not importing 100 jars of marmite :eek:) you should be fine.

wakwak Dec 30th 2016 7:40 pm

Awesome. Yorkshire teabags, bovril and marmite it is! Thanks

MrsFychan Dec 30th 2016 7:40 pm

you can bring marmite but I don't think you can bring Bovril as its meat extract?

wouldn't bother with the tbags if you are shipping in a container as the container will go through extreme temperature changes from really hot to really cold and not sure the tea will stand up to it.

wakwak Dec 30th 2016 7:45 pm

Hmmmmm... I've just read this on the MPI website;

Food items you can bring in
Many foods are fine to bring into New Zealand but all food must be declared – even if you think it is allowed. If you don't declare food you're bringing into New Zealand, you will be fined.
Generally, MPI officials at the border will allow in most food that meets these 3 criteria:
Commercially prepared and packaged.
Shelf-stable.
Unopened.
Shelf-stable means that the food will still be edible for at least 4 months without refrigeration.

No fresh meat fish or bee products etc

Robbie2010 Dec 31st 2016 2:13 am

How much do you intend bringing? ... You can buy Bovril in Countdown you know.

escapedtonz Dec 31st 2016 4:48 am

You can but wouldn't bother.
You can get Yorkshire and PG Tips n all that tea here.
Same with Marmite and Bovril.
Don't see the point of sending foodstuffs in the container. You're gonna be living in another country on the other side of the world so get used to what it has to offer instead of trying to keep yourself going as if you were still in the UK.
Try other things. I'm sure you'll find an alternative or learn to do without.
There's things we miss but not enough to do anything about it. Sometimes the wife will blow $50 in the English shop on Walkers prawn cocktail and chocolate but otherwise were all Kiwi food and even skip the international isle in the supermarket.

LoCarb Dec 31st 2016 4:59 am

Missed chocolate spread but came to terms with it after discovering pineapple lumps :thumbup:

Oh, and jelly tips :thumbsup:

wakwak Dec 31st 2016 7:25 am

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12139589)
You can but wouldn't bother.
You can get Yorkshire and PG Tips n all that tea here.
Same with Marmite and Bovril.
Don't see the point of sending foodstuffs in the container. You're gonna be living in another country on the other side of the world so get used to what it has to offer instead of trying to keep yourself going as if you were still in the UK.
Try other things. I'm sure you'll find an alternative or learn to do without.
There's things we miss but not enough to do anything about it. Sometimes the wife will blow $50 in the English shop on Walkers prawn cocktail and chocolate but otherwise were all Kiwi food and even skip the international isle in the supermarket.

Don't worry we have no misconceptions or plans to keep our uk life going over there that's not what we are about, looking forward to the change to be fair! I don't plan to supermarket shop like we do here either!

I'm all for living locally and won't miss chocolate or much else food wise but I do love my tea :) I'm thinking a box to wean myself off.... I drink too much of it anyway so it'll be good for me to knock it on the head!

Bovril on toast.... always a comfort food since childhood. It used to be my snack of choice after a night out too. Marmite was second choice :)

Our current diet is based around fresh and seasonal where possible and from what I understand that's the best way to go in NZ too.

Thanks for the info

Justcol Dec 31st 2016 7:29 am

Crown say no to everything, its easier for them.

Personally I wouldnt bother, your moving, let it go, if you get the urge you can buy it all here

Justcol Dec 31st 2016 7:32 am

Originally Posted by wakwak (Post 12139620)
Our current diet is based around fresh and seasonal where possible and from what I understand that's the best way to go in NZ too.

Its not the best way to go, you have no choice

wakwak Dec 31st 2016 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 12139540)
How much do you intend bringing? ... You can buy Bovril in Countdown you know.

Just a jar

wakwak Dec 31st 2016 7:41 am

Originally Posted by LoCarb (Post 12139590)
Missed chocolate spread but came to terms with it after discovering pineapple lumps :thumbup:

Oh, and jelly tips :thumbsup:

Hubby loves pineapple lumps.... I'm a savoury person myself

wakwak Dec 31st 2016 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12139623)
Its not the best way to go, you have no choice

there's always a choice