Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Teabags and Bovril

Teabags and Bovril

Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:37 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teabags and Bovril

It's always nice to have a few favourites from home while you are settling in. I put my favourite coffee mug in my luggage. I loved being able to use a familiar item while the rest of my household possessions were in storage.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

wakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
It's always nice to have a few favourites from home while you are settling in. I put my favourite coffee mug in my luggage. I loved being able to use a familiar item while the rest of my household possessions were in storage.
That's lovely, and as you say nice to have some familiarity when everything else is strange.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I packed my favourite wooden spoon and kitchen knife in my suitcase. Like you say, just something familiar to have around :-)
Old Jan 1st 2017, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wakwak
there's always a choice
I'll remind you of this comment in 12 months time
Old Jan 1st 2017, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

there's always a choice
It is a very small, very isolated, market here. 'Things' - which could include anything from certain foodstuffs to tradesmen available to fix your roof can suddenly become unavailable. When that happens it becomes necessary to be prepared to 'go-without' for a period of time or do-it-yourself.

Merry Christmas everyone! I'm on countdown now with only a few weeks left in the uk

So the clearing of the house has started in earnest, and all the cleaning and disinfecting etc

I have a question on foodstuffs.... can I ship unopened bovril and teabags and olive oil??? Crown say no, reading on MPI they say maybe.... thoughts?
I would question whether it was worth it.

If they are very small quantities I would put them in my hand-luggage and declare them to customs on arrival. I have been told (at the airport but it was a few years ago) that provided commercially produced pantry items remain unopened and still in the original packaging then so long as they are declared on arrival then they will not cause customs any concerns.

In the supermarket recently: 750ml of organic extra virgin olive oil was about $12, a jar of Bovril $5.50 and a box of 80 Yorkshire Teabags was $11.50.

You can get British Marmite in the supermarket here (it is called 'Ourmate' for trademark reasons but the jar looks almost the same). You can get Bisto too which is the only British foodstuff that I still use.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

wakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
I'll remind you of this comment in 12 months time

yes do that .... I didn't say it was an easy choice lol! I can eat caviar here if i choose.... I can't eat anything else for the rest of the month though!

We aren't new to NZ food 'challenges'
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Clappy
It is a very small, very isolated, market here. 'Things' - which could include anything from certain foodstuffs to tradesmen available to fix your roof can suddenly become unavailable. When that happens it becomes necessary to be prepared to 'go-without' for a period of time or do-it-yourself.

I would question whether it was worth it.

If they are very small quantities I would put them in my hand-luggage and declare them to customs on arrival. I have been told (at the airport but it was a few years ago) that provided commercially produced pantry items remain unopened and still in the original packaging then so long as they are declared on arrival then they will not cause customs any concerns.

In the supermarket recently: 750ml of organic extra virgin olive oil was about $12, a jar of Bovril $5.50 and a box of 80 Yorkshire Teabags was $11.50.

You can get British Marmite in the supermarket here (it is called 'Ourmate' for trademark reasons but the jar looks almost the same). You can get Bisto too which is the only British foodstuff that I still use.
Thankfully I don't have to worry about tradesmen shortages, Hubby is a builder and has been a mechanic in a previous life so he can turn his hand to most things.
I'm sure we will get used to the other things over time.

I only wanted to bring the olive oil as it was a nice one from Cyprus from my sister, still sealed. I'll just bring teabags to tide me over and my comfort jar of bovril then
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Far worse things, such as bags of rubbish and slices of toast have all (often unintentionally) found their way into people's containers. I would just shove them in a bag, tupperware box or some such other item in your kitchen and the packers will take care of the rest.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 8:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I only wanted to bring the olive oil as it was a nice one from Cyprus from my sister, still sealed. I'll just bring teabags to tide me over and my comfort jar of bovril then
Just bring 'em.

All sorts are mistakenly or unexpecantly packed. No biggy.
Old Jan 4th 2017, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Yup just stick them in your container, if you want it as a kind of comfort blanket for the settling in period then do it. Hell we mistakenly brought over paint, unwashed laundry and xmas tree decorations that we didn't mean to in our container.
I worked at the airport and as long as you declare foodstuffs your bringing in then you're all good, the worse that can happen is that they say you can't and they will bin it for you and you will not be fined as you were honest and told them upfront on declaration forms.