Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Teabags and Bovril

Teabags and Bovril

Old Dec 30th 2016, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

wakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond repute
Question Teabags and Bovril

Merry Christmas everyone! I'm on countdown now with only a few weeks left in the uk

So the clearing of the house has started in earnest, and all the cleaning and disinfecting etc

I have a question on foodstuffs.... can I ship unopened bovril and teabags and olive oil??? Crown say no, reading on MPI they say maybe.... thoughts?
Old Dec 30th 2016, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teabags and Bovril

Originally Posted by wakwak
Merry Christmas everyone! I'm on countdown now with only a few weeks left in the uk

So the clearing of the house has started in earnest, and all the cleaning and disinfecting etc

I have a question on foodstuffs.... can I ship unopened bovril and teabags and olive oil??? Crown say no, reading on MPI they say maybe.... thoughts?
You can as long as you declare it, but it may lead to delays while they check it. We bring in (sealed) Marmite, mincemeat, sweets etc in accompanied baggage and providing it is declared usually get waved through Customs.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 7:14 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
You can as long as you declare it, but it may lead to delays while they check it. We bring in (sealed) Marmite, mincemeat, sweets etc in accompanied baggage and providing it is declared usually get waved through Customs.
Yes, that's been my experience. So long as you declare it, it is unopened and clearly for your own use (i.e. you are not importing 100 jars of marmite ) you should be fine.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

wakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond reputewakwak has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome. Yorkshire teabags, bovril and marmite it is! Thanks
Old Dec 30th 2016, 7:40 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you can bring marmite but I don't think you can bring Bovril as its meat extract?

wouldn't bother with the tbags if you are shipping in a container as the container will go through extreme temperature changes from really hot to really cold and not sure the tea will stand up to it.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmmmm... I've just read this on the MPI website;

Food items you can bring in
Many foods are fine to bring into New Zealand but all food must be declared – even if you think it is allowed. If you don't declare food you're bringing into New Zealand, you will be fined.
Generally, MPI officials at the border will allow in most food that meets these 3 criteria:
Commercially prepared and packaged.
Shelf-stable.
Unopened.
Shelf-stable means that the food will still be edible for at least 4 months without refrigeration.

No fresh meat fish or bee products etc
Old Dec 31st 2016, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

How much do you intend bringing? ... You can buy Bovril in Countdown you know.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

You can but wouldn't bother.
You can get Yorkshire and PG Tips n all that tea here.
Same with Marmite and Bovril.
Don't see the point of sending foodstuffs in the container. You're gonna be living in another country on the other side of the world so get used to what it has to offer instead of trying to keep yourself going as if you were still in the UK.
Try other things. I'm sure you'll find an alternative or learn to do without.
There's things we miss but not enough to do anything about it. Sometimes the wife will blow $50 in the English shop on Walkers prawn cocktail and chocolate but otherwise were all Kiwi food and even skip the international isle in the supermarket.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Missed chocolate spread but came to terms with it after discovering pineapple lumps

Oh, and jelly tips

Last edited by LoCarb; Dec 31st 2016 at 5:01 am.
Old Dec 31st 2016, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
You can but wouldn't bother.
You can get Yorkshire and PG Tips n all that tea here.
Same with Marmite and Bovril.
Don't see the point of sending foodstuffs in the container. You're gonna be living in another country on the other side of the world so get used to what it has to offer instead of trying to keep yourself going as if you were still in the UK.
Try other things. I'm sure you'll find an alternative or learn to do without.
There's things we miss but not enough to do anything about it. Sometimes the wife will blow $50 in the English shop on Walkers prawn cocktail and chocolate but otherwise were all Kiwi food and even skip the international isle in the supermarket.
Don't worry we have no misconceptions or plans to keep our uk life going over there that's not what we are about, looking forward to the change to be fair! I don't plan to supermarket shop like we do here either!

I'm all for living locally and won't miss chocolate or much else food wise but I do love my tea I'm thinking a box to wean myself off.... I drink too much of it anyway so it'll be good for me to knock it on the head!

Bovril on toast.... always a comfort food since childhood. It used to be my snack of choice after a night out too. Marmite was second choice

Our current diet is based around fresh and seasonal where possible and from what I understand that's the best way to go in NZ too.

Thanks for the info
Old Dec 31st 2016, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Crown say no to everything, its easier for them.

Personally I wouldnt bother, your moving, let it go, if you get the urge you can buy it all here
Old Dec 31st 2016, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wakwak
Our current diet is based around fresh and seasonal where possible and from what I understand that's the best way to go in NZ too.

Its not the best way to go, you have no choice
Old Dec 31st 2016, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
How much do you intend bringing? ... You can buy Bovril in Countdown you know.
Just a jar
Old Dec 31st 2016, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LoCarb
Missed chocolate spread but came to terms with it after discovering pineapple lumps

Oh, and jelly tips
Hubby loves pineapple lumps.... I'm a savoury person myself
Old Dec 31st 2016, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
Its not the best way to go, you have no choice
there's always a choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.