Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tea- whats the best one?

Tea- whats the best one?

Old Apr 15th 2008, 4:56 am
Just Joined

nelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the roughnelsonchick is a jewel in the rough
Default Tea- whats the best one?

Help I cant find any tea I actually like here!!
I usually go for organic stuff but even that doesnt taste like good old english tea
Any recommendations? or do I have to keep getting my mum to send it over?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:09 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tea- whats the best one?

Originally Posted by nelsonchick
I usually go for organic stuff but even that doesnt taste like good old english tea
get your mom to continue sending over Yorkshire Gold!!

There is only one tea I have found that is near nice, and i cant for the life of me think what it is now. Its in a green and red box. Begins with B or D - will let you know if i see someone else mention it.

still drinking the yorkshire tea that stasia brought over for me!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:10 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Try the British shop in the Hutt or Browns Bay (Auckland) (check online, they've just started delivery). I can't live without Typhoo. There is always Twinnings English tea, which is good.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Now you know I am never one to diss anyone for wanting something of the UK that they like, but tea is one I will never fathom. Where in UK does tea come from? Certainly weren't none growing in Yorkshire, last time I was there. Tea is a world traded commodity, never mind what brand it is and NZ has an abundance of the stuff.

Pak n Save and the likes sell all the Twinings range 'English' Breakfast Tea, Earl Grey, Darjeeling, green tea, black tea, herbal tea and even PG Tips.

Try some pure ceylon tea, Dilmah Range is superb has about 20 varieties; organics, leaf tea and in bags. Even the cheapo Bells Ceylon Tea Bags are excellent.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

PG Tips sold in New World
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand myself - Strangely I start getting hate the taste of tea lately :curse: don't even know why? (because I am getting old? ) I used to drink a lot since I was a teenager But now I don't like it at all! only drink crap coffee in the morning

seriously I've got loads of tea at home; Yorkshire Gold, PG Tips, Tetely, Lipton, Ahmad, Twinings, Bushells, Dilmah etc. Stupidly I always buy lots and lots and never finish and eventually throw them away - while I was in Auckland I bought Bushells tea from Australia! but I don't like it either (I used to love it - while I lived in Sydney however, Not Any More ) At the end of the day, all tea taste the same! all NZ tea Cr*p

it's time to chuck them in the bin again unless anybody wants to have them for free - surely nobody wants those rubbish

*as you can see below, it was my half English Breakfast + a cuppa tea for a rainy weekend morning (a few months ago) and lots of (stupid) tea!
Sorry. there's no Sausage & Bacon - well. I don't eat them
Attached Thumbnails Tea- whats the best one?-my-english-breakfast-2.jpg   Tea- whats the best one?-my-english-breakfast-1.jpg  

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 15th 2008 at 8:40 am.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:15 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Dilmah!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

I'm talking about loose tea here !

Virtually all NZ tea is rubbish, powder stuff for the masses to have in teabags. The only one worth drinking is Twinings "Russian Caravan" tea although this can be off the shelves for weeks.

All teabag tea is same as in England, vaguely metallic and unpleasant.

Alternatively you have to buy from overpriced speciality shops.

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Apr 15th 2008 at 7:46 am.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Moosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the roughMoosette is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by crap coffee
I don't understand myself - Strangely I start getting hate the taste of tea lately :curse: don't even know why? (because I am getting old? ) I used to drink a lot since I was a teenager But now I don't like it at all! only drink crap coffee in the morning

seriously I've got loads of tea at home; Yorkshire Gold, PG Tips, Tetely, Lipton, Ahmad, Twinings, Bushells, Dilmah etc. Stupidly I always buy lots and lots and never finish and eventually throw them away - while I was in Auckland I bought Bushells tea from Australia! but I don't like it either (I used to love it a lot - while I lived in Sydney however, Not Any More ) At the end of the day, all tea taste the same! all NZ tea Cr*p

it's time to chuck them in the bin again unless anybody wants to have them for free - surely nobody wants those rubbish

*as you can see below, it was my half English Breakfast + a cuppa tea for a rainy weekend morning (a few months ago) and lots of (stupid) tea!
Sorry. there's no Sausage & Bacon - well. I don't eat them
Perhaps the tea tastes different in NZ because the water is different? It might not be the tea's fault at all! Just a thought.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:03 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

They sell Yorkshire Gold leaf tea in Kirkaldies
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I used to buy Twinings 1764(?) in New World when I first got here..it is mega strong but suddenly they stopped stocking it....so I ring the changes with PG Tips (not my fav), Twinings other stuff and Dilmah Extra Strong (not always on the shelves either).....I went native and bought Bells but it was only the once yuck!
The water does make a difference but I think to get an acceptable taste you just have to pay a bit more but I baulk at the prices in Kirkcaldies!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you! I dont like any of the teas here that Ive tried so far. What makes it even more difficult for me is that I have to have de-caff.... hardly any choice here at all and what I found tasted foul.

I thought maybe it might be the water thing as we are on tank water... but mum sent over my favourite de-caff from UK and it tasted fine, so yep it is the tea. If you can find any de-caff here it seems really expensive for how many bags you get in the box.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
I thought maybe it might be the water thing as we are on tank water...
Sure. In Auckland I always buy bottled water from springs (No Mineral water) for making coffee & tea. Auckland (tank) water absolutely Foul! :curse: bottled water only purified water is best for the brewing of good tasting tea..

The best water for tea

a) low in mineral content
b) free of contamination and additives
c) high in oxygen content

so, How about the tank water?? it is terribly contaminated I know!

Chlorinated tap water for example destroys the flavor of tea as well

water tastes Pure great in Welly. still don't like the taste of tea here ????!!!!!!! something wrong with myself? maybe I don't like tea???

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 15th 2008 at 11:10 am.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
maybe I don't like tea???
lol.... stop drinking it then!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:15 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
lol.... stop drinking it then!
Hey thanks guys, I never knew you could get PG tips in new world and pac and save, I dont go in either very often, so will check it out!
I agree the water makes a huge difference! In welly I used to always get petone spring water, so great! But now in nelson, the tap water is so chlorinated I had to get a water filter fitted, which is great!

I know tea doesnt come from UK but believe me it is different. Just like the chocolate, they make it different for different tastes. Compare two cadbury bars from different countries!!

Will search out the PG tips, I saw them in the UK shop before but for $10, i just couldn't!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.