Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Te Atatu South - Opinions?

Te Atatu South - Opinions?

Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default Te Atatu South - Opinions?

Hey all,

Currently renting in Albany but our landlord has decided to sell the house so we have to get out when our lease expires in January. so we are starting to look around areas but because the North Shore is so expensive we are looking further into West Auckland.

Does anyone live in or know what the Te Atatu South area is like? Rentals/sales we have seen there seem nice but are cheaper than most so I'm guessing it not a great area or there is a catch, but everyone we know doesn't know much about it.

Young family, I work in the CBD but there is a bus route I could use in Te Atatu south so thats fine.

Thanks!

Andy
Old Oct 19th 2012, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

stonemason is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Te Atatu South - Opinions?

Hi Andy,
you are right about there being a catch with Te Atatu.It's full of munters,not a good area. Some where around Sunnynook on the North Shore may suite you.Pretty good area ,close to buses and beachs and good schools.
all the best
Old Oct 19th 2012, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stonemason
Hi Andy,
you are right about there being a catch with Te Atatu.It's full of munters,not a good area. Some where around Sunnynook on the North Shore may suite you.Pretty good area ,close to buses and beachs and good schools.
all the best
Thanks. Pretty much every area on the North Shore is out for us at the moment unless we want to spend mega bucks on a 2 bed damp tent of a house. Agents advertising houses for less than $400k for sale, you get there and they tell you its $500k. Got to a rental viewing and its got like 70 people viewing it.

Sigh, will keep looking for areas. Gutted again.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew up in Te Atatu South , along time ago mind you :-) Had a great childhood.Te Atatu North or Te Atatu Peninsula wouldn't recommend that. The area around Flanshaw primary would be your best bet.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks! The area we saw some of the nicer rentals/sales was around McLeod Road so a little further south.

So hard to judge an area by houses in NZ. Even in the area we are in Albany, the houses are all nice and modern, but go down another street and its like a ghetto.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also checkout the area where Glen Eden borders around Titirangi for an alternative.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

We used to live not far from Te Atahu South and we were actually looking at that area before moving onto Swanson Road.

It's a decent enough area, anythings better than living on the North Shore and having a crappy bridge rule your life.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought about the Whangaparaoa Peninsula at all?

Have a friend who lives in Swanson, just from the stories she tells me it wouldn't be my choice of area to live.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Thought about the Whangaparaoa Peninsula at all?

Have a friend who lives in Swanson, just from the stories she tells me it wouldn't be my choice of area to live.
Thanks. Yeah we visited the Peninsula when we originally got here but didn't really feel it. It was a nice area, esp Shakespear Park, but it was too far away from both our works at the time which was one part, and we weren't too keen on the housing, too cramped in for our liking, and then our work collegues calling it "pommyparaoa" put us off totally.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Te Atatu peninsula is good these days. In the old days it was called Te Atatu North and no one wanted to live there. Now it is the preferred Te Atatu!
Traffic is a pig if you are trying to use the north western at peak times
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 4:26 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR
...and then our work collegues calling it "pommyparaoa" put us off totally.
??? Full of South Africans as far as we can tell but all nice enough
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by simonsi
??? Full of South Africans as far as we can tell but all nice enough
LOL my work colleague who said this is South African too

For me though its too far. Work in Grafton so would either be a long as car trip, or ferry and bus. At the minute its just 1 bus.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment we are in West Akl on the Titirangi / Glen Eden border. There are some good schools around here, rent is reasonable, cheaper than on the North Shore but it is called 'Britirangi' round here! I don't know if it is just me but I seem to find Brits wherever I go, West or up north! Just seems to be loads of us out here. I quite like it though

Trips in non rush hour are about 20 mins door to CBD, rush hour more like 45 mins via Great North Rd. and the 16 motorway.