Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Te Atatu Peninsula as a place to live

Te Atatu Peninsula as a place to live

Old Dec 19th 2009, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

philfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nice
Default Te Atatu Peninsula as a place to live

Hi All! We are one step closer to being in Auckland by April EOi accepted, Visa going well, house sold over here but we were wondering if anyone lives in the Te Atatu Peninsula area of Auckland? Or Pukekohe? I Know they are miles apart but depending on my job they are possibilities as a place to set up home...COuld anyone drop me a line if they know what either area is like.
Thanks
Phil
Old Dec 21st 2009, 3:37 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Te Atatu Peninsula as a place to live

Sorry I can't help. I don't know that bit of Auckland. But wanted to bump this up for you. Good luck
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:05 am
Just Joined

philfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nicephilfunuk is just really nice

Thanks Vitalstatistix!! A couple of replies would really help me out!
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Te Atatu is westie country so very "down to earth" for Auckland. The few westies I know swear by the district and seem very happy there, but I can't say I have ever visited. Quite a cheap place to buy/rent by Auckland standards
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

The peninsula as opposed to the general area seem to be a good place to live for the people I know that live there and want to be close to the CBD as well. There are also some far reaching views from that end of the harbour.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:53 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

HI Phil
Sorry can't help with your question...but just wanted to say its good to hear things are progressing for you!! and watch out....April will be here before you know it!!
B x

PS. We are using a local shipper (based at Ilton) to ship a few things....recommended by kiwi friends who've shippped with him in the past. If you want details pm me.

Last edited by MnB; Dec 21st 2009 at 9:55 am.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by philfunuk View Post
Hi All! We are one step closer to being in Auckland by April EOi accepted, Visa going well, house sold over here but we were wondering if anyone lives in the Te Atatu Peninsula area of Auckland? Or Pukekohe? I Know they are miles apart but depending on my job they are possibilities as a place to set up home...COuld anyone drop me a line if they know what either area is like.
Thanks
Phil
Hi Phil,

For what its worth, we stayed on the Peninsula for 2 weeks 3 years ago when we were on holiday there -our reccie visit.

We liked the area. Had plenty to offer us. Lots of parks for the kids, nice and clean, Supermarkets around. Sailing club next to a river (always helpful - next to a river eh). People seemed friendly as they were everyhwere we went.

If i had any concerns about the area at all it would be the mix of housing. There seemed to be a lot of new builds around on their quaint little estates (brookside style) but youd go round the corner and there would be the old style NZ kind of house - some in a very poor state of repair.

But you couldnt really fault its location to Auckland and from where we were staying you could see the skytower.

Good luck with your decision. And please bear in mind we were only there 2 weeks - but we really enjoyed it x

Best regards

Psycho x
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I think the Te Atatu peninsula has become more upmarket in the last few years. There are several places in Auckland that used to be run down and then got made into desirable locations, e.g. Ponsonby. It's nice and handy and great if you like the sea. Sorry don't know Pukekohe that well.

In a lot of places in NZ you get that mix of housing, sometimes in the same street. Houses tend to get pulled down and new ones built in older locations. New estates might be built on country land as the town expands, so within a short walk of a swanky new estate you might be in an older area. I think you have to take the location as a whole for desirability.
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks for everybody who have got in touch so far, it is much appreciated...the scary thing is we are moving into my inlaws TODAY as our house has sold and our buyer wants in before Christmas.....how stressful is that! Have a fantastic Christmas and New Year and I hope to meet some of you when we come over in April!
Phil
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philfunuk View Post
Thanks
Phil
We have a couple of friends who live out on the Te Atatu Penninsula, they are happy there. The only thing they ever complain about is the commute to work and also home, the freeway heading into the CBD in the morning can be a bit of a parking lot and the trip home can be just as bad. If you fancied cycling instead there is a good bike route away from the road. As someone else the views of the city are excellent. Hope this helps