Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taxation on £ from UK

Taxation on £ from UK

Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taxation on £ from UK

We arived in August 07, we have a PR, but for the moment we have left the majority of our UK cash in an offshore account in pounds. If I want to bring it all to NZ when do I have to do this by in order not to be taxed? Is it within two years of us arriving?

Any views would be much appreciated as I we cannot afford to lose any of it to the tax man
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:06 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all
Default Re: Taxation on £ from UK

Originally Posted by nero
We arived in August 07, we have a PR, but for the moment we have left the majority of our UK cash in an offshore account in pounds. If I want to bring it all to NZ when do I have to do this by in order not to be taxed? Is it within two years of us arriving?
There's no tax on the transfer at any point. The interest you get on the money in your offshore account is tax free for four years after you arrived. Watch out for gift duty though, if it is in one spouse's sole account you can't transfer it (onshore or offshore) to an account in the other spouse's name without paying gift duty if it's more than $NZ27K.

Last edited by cypherpunk; Feb 6th 2008 at 8:10 am.