British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Tax refunds if you arrived in NZ last year (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/tax-refunds-if-you-arrived-nz-last-year-762273/)

Persephone Jun 20th 2012 7:11 am

Tax refunds if you arrived in NZ last year

Just got my 2011-2012 tax refund through:thumbsup: Thought I'd issue a reminder to those who arrived last year that they may be entitled to an income tax refund.
If you have only worked part of a tax year then you may be due a tax refund. You would have to apply for it by filling in an IR3 [full tax return] rather than the easier route you can use once you've been resident the whole year. There are companies that can claim refunds on your behalf but it's easy enough to do yourself especially once you've been here a whole year. In my opinion the tax refund companies are really a bit of a scam.
The IR3 is a bit long winded but not that hard once you sit down with a calculator and your income and tax records.
http://www.ird.govt.nz/income-tax-in.../end-year/ir3/

I work for 2-3 different employers which is why I get one!

cappuccino Jun 24th 2012 6:30 am

Re: Tax refunds if you arrived in NZ last year

And to add to this.... you can claim refunds for child care and charity donations every year :thumbup:

Caz8NZ Jun 25th 2012 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10128698)
Just got my 2011-2012 tax refund through:thumbsup: Thought I'd issue a reminder to those who arrived last year that they may be entitled to an income tax refund.
If you have only worked part of a tax year then you may be due a tax refund. You would have to apply for it by filling in an IR3 [full tax return] rather than the easier route you can use once you've been resident the whole year. There are companies that can claim refunds on your behalf but it's easy enough to do yourself especially once you've been here a whole year. In my opinion the tax refund companies are really a bit of a scam.
The IR3 is a bit long winded but not that hard once you sit down with a calculator and your income and tax records.
http://www.ird.govt.nz/income-tax-in.../end-year/ir3/

I work for 2-3 different employers which is why I get one!

Hi Persephone - are you sure you have to do an IR3? I arrived March 2011 - I requested a Personal Tax Summary (PTS) after doing the online calculation just to make sure I didn't OWE, and they have confirmed a $700 refund which should be in my bank in a couple more days.....I don't think you always have to do an IR3?

Persephone Jun 25th 2012 10:17 am

Not an expert so could be wrong of course! Doesn't happen often though:p

I got that info from the IRD website:

You'll also need to file an IR3 return if you:

•left or arrived in New Zealand part-way through the year
Also there is a calculator somewhere on there that tells you to file an IR3 if you were not tax resident for the whole year. If you can claim via the PTS then it is incredibly easy to do so much preferable.
Were you claiming for the 2011-2012 year? If you were then you were resident for the whole tax year so could claim via the PTS.
If it was the 2010-2011 year [so based on your earnings in March 2011] then that makes life easier for you new arrivals as no long winded IR3...:)

BEVS Jun 25th 2012 10:49 am

Part tax year arrival needs an IR3.

Whole tax year as resident doesn't.

Also note that you can do these retrospectively.

Caz8NZ Jun 25th 2012 7:53 pm

Well i'll keep schtum - I arrived 10th March 2011 on a WHV (not as resident) so was claiming 11-12 - and they've granted it to me just with a PTS soooo............I'm happy!

Persephone Jun 25th 2012 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10138555)
Well i'll keep schtum - I arrived 10th March 2011 on a WHV (not as resident) so was claiming 11-12 - and they've granted it to me just with a PTS soooo............I'm happy!

That fits with what me and BEVS have written. You were a resident for tax purposes for the whole of the 11-12 tax year so no you wouldn't have had to fill in an IR3. Not the same as having the right to reside in NZ indefinitely ie residency-sorry not sure how to phrase this properly!
If you wish to claim a refund for the tax year 2010-2011 [for which you were only resident for tax purposes for 21days] then you will have to fill in an IR3.:)

Caz8NZ Jun 25th 2012 10:16 pm

ah! sorry for confusion then! yes of course, resident for tax purposes I was indeed.

mazandben Sep 3rd 2012 7:57 am

how long does it take for them to send you a refund?? I sent my paperwork in about 6 weeks ago and haven't heard a dicky bird!

cappuccino Sep 3rd 2012 8:50 am

Originally Posted by mazandben (Post 10261043)
how long does it take for them to send you a refund?? I sent my paperwork in about 6 weeks ago and haven't heard a dicky bird!

I'm still waiting from May!! They are having serious processing issues this year!

Persephone Sep 3rd 2012 8:59 am

Mine took about 2 weeks back in June. I did it all online so didn't need to send any paperwork in.
Can't believe you're still waiting from May, you'd have been ahead of me as well:confused:

cappuccino Sep 3rd 2012 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 10261118)
Mine took about 2 weeks back in June. I did it all online so didn't need to send any paperwork in.
Can't believe you're still waiting from May, you'd have been ahead of me as well:confused:

I think that's the key... apply after the 'rush' ( I've done that in previous years and it has always been processed quickly). I'll give them another call today.

mazandben Oct 31st 2012 5:25 am

Yayyyyyyy got mine last week, deffo worth the wait!!

Mrs Pointer Nov 2nd 2012 7:56 am

I arrived last April and started work an August and got a good whack back! Course no one tells you this - I found out from my kiwi colleague who'd just come back from her OE.

Miss Nic Nov 25th 2012 9:59 pm

I got here last August and just processed mine. Once I was finally able to fill it in online (something wrong with the site I think) they paid up in under 2 weeks. I thought it would be a few hundred but I got a couple of thousand back! Glad I looked into it

Nick Miller Jan 21st 2013 6:51 am

You should be able to do it online through your IRD number. Don't forget to claim your UK refund either.

Persephone Jan 24th 2013 4:25 pm

I do all mine online, the IRD have my bank details on file and the refund is just transferred into it.
Can't believe it's going to be time to do it all again soon though due to changing circumstances I'll have to do a full IR3 this year:sneaky:

Wessa Feb 20th 2013 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Nick Miller (Post 10495882)
You should be able to do it online through your IRD number. Don't forget to claim your UK refund either.

Nick.. What do you mean UK one too?

I got 185NZD back the other wekk for 2011-12, :thumbsup:
Better than a kick in the tits eh..

Gary.

Persephone Feb 20th 2013 3:23 pm

Hi Wessa
Nice to see you on here!
I think he means the tax refund you can claim back from the UK when you first move over. Most people will have worked a part year in the UK and if you're on PAYE then that means you will have overpaid tax [as they calculate it as if you're working for the full year]

MrsFychan Feb 20th 2013 8:39 pm

sorry need some clarification

can we claim tax back from NZ tax office?
husband I believe claimed back tax in the UK from when he came over on Sept 2011 and started working but has not claimed or attempted to claim anything for here (NZ).
I we can how do we go about doing it?

Persephone Feb 20th 2013 9:07 pm

If he was employed between Sept 2011 and April 1st 2012 and paid tax on a pay as you earn basis then he will probably be due tax back. Each wage slip is taxed as if he earned that amount for a full year.

He will need to file a full IR3 (full tax return) as he will only have been in NZ for part of the year.
Go to http://www.ird.govt.nz/ There is a calculator which you can use to check whether you are owed a refund. If he knows how much tax he paid and how much he earned then just enter that. If he doesn't have that info then contact the IRD and ask for a Personal Tax Summary for that year.
If a refund is due then search for form IR3 for the 2011/12 tax year, fill it in and return it. It took me 1-2 hours when I did it.

If you've worked the full tax year and are due a refund then there is a simpler way of doing it, but this is probably not relevant if he is on a regular salary. I had two jobs and irregular hours so I always overpaid tax.:sneaky:

MrsFychan Jul 7th 2013 10:17 am

success we got a couple of thousand back. paid off CC :thumbsup:

Persephone Jul 8th 2013 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10788080)
success we got a couple of thousand back. paid off CC :thumbsup:

Excellent! :drinkwine::drinkwine::beer: Drinks on you then;)

Did my IR3 before we went away and already got my refund. It is so much easier and quicker to do online! It does all the maths for you- no need to add A and B then divide by F which is the product of C and G and so on...

We're renting out our home so sorting the costs out there was the main part this year.

Timmy Chch Jul 25th 2014 7:41 am

All my buddies used a company to get their $ back (mugs) but as I only had 1 employer I used the IRD website. Agree with what everyone has said, it's pretty easy and people there to help if you need it. Took about 30 mins maybe? Mainly on an automated phone call chatting to a computer, setting up my MyIR thing, quite embarrassing in front of ya work colleagues ha ha. $711 back, simples, job done.

Persephone Jul 26th 2014 4:24 am

:

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch (Post 11347384)
All my buddies used a company to get their $ back (mugs) but as I only had 1 employer I used the IRD website. Agree with what everyone has said, it's pretty easy and people there to help if you need it. Took about 30 mins maybe? Mainly on an automated phone call chatting to a computer, setting up my MyIR thing, quite embarrassing in front of ya work colleagues ha ha. $711 back, simples, job done.

:thumbup: drinks on you then!

It's just the same if you have more than one job. Get a tax summary from the IRD and just enter the total wages and total tax paid for a year (or add it up manually if you prefer!) I worked for three employers at the same time so two were on the higher tax code for a second job...

desmondo84 May 22nd 2015 10:07 pm

We arrived in August 2014. Do you think we could claim any tax back on NZ earnings? And what is the easiest way to do so?

MrsFychan May 23rd 2015 12:00 am

Originally Posted by desmondo84 (Post 11653935)
We arrived in August 2014. Do you think we could claim any tax back on NZ earnings? And what is the easiest way to do so?

Yes you can and very easy to do, just go to your IRD page and use the calculator to see how much you may get back and then apply for the PTS - be aware if you owe tax then if you request a PTS you will have to pay it.

If you don't have an online account with IRD suggest you set one up.

desmondo84 May 23rd 2015 1:05 am

did it online and it came up:
You don't have to file an IR3 tax return or receive a personal tax summary for this year
Based on the information you've provided below you're entitled to a tax refund of XXXXX

does this mean that they will automatically sort it out and send me out a cheque?

Cheers

Des

MrsFychan May 23rd 2015 4:49 am

Originally Posted by desmondo84 (Post 11654022)
did it online and it came up:
You don't have to file an IR3 tax return or receive a personal tax summary for this year
Based on the information you've provided below you're entitled to a tax refund of XXXXX

does this mean that they will automatically sort it out and send me out a cheque?

Cheers

Des

On the safe side fill in the PTS and then they put the money into your account

desmondo84 May 23rd 2015 5:15 am

awsome thanks. I also got chinned with some high tax on my savings account over here coz i didn't enter my IRD so will try and claim that too if I can work out how.

Free money!

Snap Shot May 23rd 2015 5:31 am

Originally Posted by desmondo84 (Post 11654130)
awsome thanks. I also got chinned with some high tax on my savings account over here coz i didn't enter my IRD so will try and claim that too if I can work out how.

Free money!

Not really free money, it's a refund but useful nevertheless. You would have had to declare interest (unearned income) on savings as part of the online form filling exercise to get your refund calculated.

Your tax refund goes into your myIR account by mid-late June. You then confirm it and they forward it to your nominated account.

At least, that's what the lady on the phone said when I phoned the IRD yesterday. I got a text message from the IRD earlier in the week advising me to log into my IR to see if I had a tax refund due.

I had forgotten my log in and password so I requested it be e-mailed to me and it was.

Later that day I got a letter from the IRD advising that eDocuments are replacing paper statements, notices and letters. Also, if I hadn't used myIR recently here's a reminder of my user ID and e-mail address. Ironic or what ?!

desmondo84 May 24th 2015 7:22 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11654118)
On the safe side fill in the PTS and then they put the money into your account

mmm, tried to select the PTS option but it's only valid if you were resident for the entire tax year,

Des

MrsFychan May 24th 2015 9:39 am

how odd - ok well give them a ring and they will go through it with you on the phone. make sure you have the details of any interest you may have earned on your bank accounts to hand as they will ask and if you have a joint bank account don't forget to split the interest in half

Persephone May 25th 2015 10:44 pm

You will have to fill out an IR3 [tax return] if not tax resident for the whole year - you can't do it via a PTS.

It is still fairly simple to do if you register online with the IRD and get them to 'send' one to you online via MyIR. That is where you write in any interest and tax paid and it will all get added together along with your salary. Your refund can be credited straight into your bank account if you choose.
:)

Kotare Jan 18th 2016 4:18 am

If you arrive mid year (all income pensions, no paye) do you fill out both a uk and a nz return declaring the income for the relevant part year or?

Kotare Jun 26th 2016 9:51 pm

Despite being shouted down by assorted tax 'experts' on the need for this. I submitted a UK tax return for residual UK income (a reasonable refund) and a NZ return for NZ income since arrival (a reasonable credit) so all is sweet.

BEVS Jun 29th 2016 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 11985734)
Despite being shouted down by assorted tax 'experts' on the need for this. I submitted a UK tax return for residual UK income (a reasonable refund) and a NZ return for NZ income since arrival (a reasonable credit) so all is sweet.

Yes. That was the way to go.

poppy10 Sep 15th 2016 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 11985734)

Doesn't that fall afoul of the double taxation arrangements?

I thought the reason you could get a refund for leaving the UK part way through the year is that they assume NZ will be taxing you for that tax year. So how can you also get a refund from IRD for that same tax year?

I arrived in NZ last September and got a few thousand back from HMRC. I haven't tried applying for an NZ tax refund for the 2015-16 tax year yet, but would like to know if I can

Kotare Sep 15th 2016 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by poppy10 (Post 12052916)

I thought the reason you could get a refund for leaving the UK part way through the year is that they assume NZ will be taxing you for that tax year. So how can you also get a refund from IRD for that same tax year?

I arrived in NZ last September and got a few thousand back from HMRC. I haven't tried applying for an NZ tax refund for the 2015-16 tax year yet, but would like to know if I can

It appears that each country treats your income for the part year as your annual income and tax

Kotare Sep 15th 2016 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by poppy10 (Post 12052916)

It appears that each country treats your income for the part year as your annual income and taxes you at the appropriate (lower) rate thus tax rebates. I am not complaining. You should have completed an NZ IR3 for the 2015/16 year - don't think this is optional :-)