Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tax refunds if you arrived in NZ last year

Tax refunds if you arrived in NZ last year

Old May 23rd 2015, 5:31 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax refunds if you arrived in NZ last year

Originally Posted by desmondo84
awsome thanks. I also got chinned with some high tax on my savings account over here coz i didn't enter my IRD so will try and claim that too if I can work out how.

Free money!
Not really free money, it's a refund but useful nevertheless. You would have had to declare interest (unearned income) on savings as part of the online form filling exercise to get your refund calculated.

Your tax refund goes into your myIR account by mid-late June. You then confirm it and they forward it to your nominated account.

At least, that's what the lady on the phone said when I phoned the IRD yesterday. I got a text message from the IRD earlier in the week advising me to log into my IR to see if I had a tax refund due.

I had forgotten my log in and password so I requested it be e-mailed to me and it was.

Later that day I got a letter from the IRD advising that eDocuments are replacing paper statements, notices and letters. Also, if I hadn't used myIR recently here's a reminder of my user ID and e-mail address. Ironic or what ?!

Last edited by Snap Shot; May 23rd 2015 at 5:34 am. Reason: wanted to add a bit more
Old May 24th 2015, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
On the safe side fill in the PTS and then they put the money into your account

mmm, tried to select the PTS option but it's only valid if you were resident for the entire tax year,

Des
Old May 24th 2015, 9:39 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

how odd - ok well give them a ring and they will go through it with you on the phone. make sure you have the details of any interest you may have earned on your bank accounts to hand as they will ask and if you have a joint bank account don't forget to split the interest in half
Old May 25th 2015, 10:44 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to fill out an IR3 [tax return] if not tax resident for the whole year - you can't do it via a PTS.

It is still fairly simple to do if you register online with the IRD and get them to 'send' one to you online via MyIR. That is where you write in any interest and tax paid and it will all get added together along with your salary. Your refund can be credited straight into your bank account if you choose.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

If you arrive mid year (all income pensions, no paye) do you fill out both a uk and a nz return declaring the income for the relevant part year or?
Old Jun 26th 2016, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Despite being shouted down by assorted tax 'experts' on the need for this. I submitted a UK tax return for residual UK income (a reasonable refund) and a NZ return for NZ income since arrival (a reasonable credit) so all is sweet.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 7:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Kotare
Despite being shouted down by assorted tax 'experts' on the need for this. I submitted a UK tax return for residual UK income (a reasonable refund) and a NZ return for NZ income since arrival (a reasonable credit) so all is sweet.
Yes. That was the way to go.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 10:18 am
Just Joined

poppy10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kotare
Doesn't that fall afoul of the double taxation arrangements?

I thought the reason you could get a refund for leaving the UK part way through the year is that they assume NZ will be taxing you for that tax year. So how can you also get a refund from IRD for that same tax year?

I arrived in NZ last September and got a few thousand back from HMRC. I haven't tried applying for an NZ tax refund for the 2015-16 tax year yet, but would like to know if I can
Old Sep 15th 2016, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poppy10

I thought the reason you could get a refund for leaving the UK part way through the year is that they assume NZ will be taxing you for that tax year. So how can you also get a refund from IRD for that same tax year?

I arrived in NZ last September and got a few thousand back from HMRC. I haven't tried applying for an NZ tax refund for the 2015-16 tax year yet, but would like to know if I can
It appears that each country treats your income for the part year as your annual income and tax
Old Sep 15th 2016, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

It appears that each country treats your income for the part year as your annual income and taxes you at the appropriate (lower) rate thus tax rebates. I am not complaining. You should have completed an NZ IR3 for the 2015/16 year - don't think this is optional :-)
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:38 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can and it costs nothing to apply, you can use the calculator on the IRD website to see if you would get any money back or if you actually owe them money.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 12:22 am
Just Joined

elainec_nz is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just joined this forum and dropped into this thread & I'm so glad I did as it hadn't occurred to me I might be eligible for a tax rebate.
I arrived in NZ Dec 2014 but didn't get a work visa / start work until June 2015.
I assume I should apply for a tax rebate for the tax year of 2015/16?
Old Sep 18th 2016, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

If I have it right. You should be applying for a UK tax rebate for the 2014/15 tax year. You should get a rebate if you didn't work Dec to Mar.

For 2015\16 year you should complete an NZ IR3 on which you declare any UK income (if any) and they will credit any UK tax paid. Sounds more complex than it is. This may also give you a rebate.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 5:16 am
Banned

gun1986uk is an unknown quantity at this point

My accountant said it's better to wait until the end of the tax year? Something to do with tax credits. Anyone else get this?