Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tax refunds if you arrived in NZ last year

Tax refunds if you arrived in NZ last year

Old Jan 21st 2013, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Nick Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax refunds if you arrived in NZ last year

You should be able to do it online through your IRD number. Don't forget to claim your UK refund either.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:25 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I do all mine online, the IRD have my bank details on file and the refund is just transferred into it.
Can't believe it's going to be time to do it all again soon though due to changing circumstances I'll have to do a full IR3 this year
Old Feb 20th 2013, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nick Miller
You should be able to do it online through your IRD number. Don't forget to claim your UK refund either.
Nick.. What do you mean UK one too?

I got 185NZD back the other wekk for 2011-12,
Better than a kick in the tits eh..

Gary.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 3:23 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wessa
Nice to see you on here!
I think he means the tax refund you can claim back from the UK when you first move over. Most people will have worked a part year in the UK and if you're on PAYE then that means you will have overpaid tax [as they calculate it as if you're working for the full year]
Old Feb 20th 2013, 8:39 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

sorry need some clarification

can we claim tax back from NZ tax office?
husband I believe claimed back tax in the UK from when he came over on Sept 2011 and started working but has not claimed or attempted to claim anything for here (NZ).
I we can how do we go about doing it?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 9:07 pm
Queen of the Underworld

If he was employed between Sept 2011 and April 1st 2012 and paid tax on a pay as you earn basis then he will probably be due tax back. Each wage slip is taxed as if he earned that amount for a full year.

He will need to file a full IR3 (full tax return) as he will only have been in NZ for part of the year.
Go to http://www.ird.govt.nz/ There is a calculator which you can use to check whether you are owed a refund. If he knows how much tax he paid and how much he earned then just enter that. If he doesn't have that info then contact the IRD and ask for a Personal Tax Summary for that year.
If a refund is due then search for form IR3 for the 2011/12 tax year, fill it in and return it. It took me 1-2 hours when I did it.

If you've worked the full tax year and are due a refund then there is a simpler way of doing it, but this is probably not relevant if he is on a regular salary. I had two jobs and irregular hours so I always overpaid tax.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:17 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

success we got a couple of thousand back. paid off CC
Old Jul 8th 2013, 7:11 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
success we got a couple of thousand back. paid off CC
Excellent! Drinks on you then

Did my IR3 before we went away and already got my refund. It is so much easier and quicker to do online! It does all the maths for you- no need to add A and B then divide by F which is the product of C and G and so on...

We're renting out our home so sorting the costs out there was the main part this year.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

All my buddies used a company to get their $ back (mugs) but as I only had 1 employer I used the IRD website. Agree with what everyone has said, it's pretty easy and people there to help if you need it. Took about 30 mins maybe? Mainly on an automated phone call chatting to a computer, setting up my MyIR thing, quite embarrassing in front of ya work colleagues ha ha. $711 back, simples, job done.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 4:24 am
Queen of the Underworld

:
Originally Posted by Timmy Chch
All my buddies used a company to get their $ back (mugs) but as I only had 1 employer I used the IRD website. Agree with what everyone has said, it's pretty easy and people there to help if you need it. Took about 30 mins maybe? Mainly on an automated phone call chatting to a computer, setting up my MyIR thing, quite embarrassing in front of ya work colleagues ha ha. $711 back, simples, job done.
drinks on you then!

It's just the same if you have more than one job. Get a tax summary from the IRD and just enter the total wages and total tax paid for a year (or add it up manually if you prefer!) I worked for three employers at the same time so two were on the higher tax code for a second job...
Old May 22nd 2015, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

We arrived in August 2014. Do you think we could claim any tax back on NZ earnings? And what is the easiest way to do so?
Old May 23rd 2015, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by desmondo84
We arrived in August 2014. Do you think we could claim any tax back on NZ earnings? And what is the easiest way to do so?
Yes you can and very easy to do, just go to your IRD page and use the calculator to see how much you may get back and then apply for the PTS - be aware if you owe tax then if you request a PTS you will have to pay it.

If you don't have an online account with IRD suggest you set one up.
Old May 23rd 2015, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

did it online and it came up:
You don't have to file an IR3 tax return or receive a personal tax summary for this year
Based on the information you've provided below you're entitled to a tax refund of XXXXX

does this mean that they will automatically sort it out and send me out a cheque?

Cheers

Des
Old May 23rd 2015, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by desmondo84
did it online and it came up:
You don't have to file an IR3 tax return or receive a personal tax summary for this year
Based on the information you've provided below you're entitled to a tax refund of XXXXX

does this mean that they will automatically sort it out and send me out a cheque?

Cheers

Des
On the safe side fill in the PTS and then they put the money into your account
Old May 23rd 2015, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

awsome thanks. I also got chinned with some high tax on my savings account over here coz i didn't enter my IRD so will try and claim that too if I can work out how.

Free money!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.