Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

TAX rebate on Accomodation???

TAX rebate on Accomodation???

Old Jan 17th 2017, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Samsalter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TAX rebate on Accomodation???

Do not know if this is a thing, maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Can I claim any tax rebate on my accommodation costs?
I will be working in Auckland on a working visa, renting a property in NZ whilst owning a property in UK.
Does this mean I am working away from home (permanent residence), and can therefore claim a tax deduction on the accommodation costs in NZ?

Note: the company will not be paying me any benefit for this, all coming from my pocket.

Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:14 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TAX rebate on Accomodation???

I would look at the fact that you are not main occupier of the property in the UK and if you have tenants do you in fact owe the tax man in the UK money. Rules on owning property in UK whilst out of the country changed last year so you really do need to be clued up on it.
As claiming tax deduction not something anyone has ever asked about before. You need to speak to an accountant that know the ins and outs of UK and NZ tax law.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:34 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TAX rebate on Accomodation???

Originally Posted by Samsalter
Do not know if this is a thing, maybe it's just wishful thinking.

Can I claim any tax rebate on my accommodation costs?
I will be working in Auckland on a working visa, renting a property in NZ whilst owning a property in UK.
Does this mean I am working away from home (permanent residence), and can therefore claim a tax deduction on the accommodation costs in NZ?

Note: the company will not be paying me any benefit for this, all coming from my pocket.

It all depends on where you are resident for tax purposes. If you are resident in the UK you might be able to if the costs are part of running a business, but if you are resident in NZ, then no because it is your home. You may be able to claim part of a trip back to the UK (to check on the property) - you probably need to check this.