tax credits

Old Oct 12th 2009, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

vicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond repute
Default tax credits

Hi

Reading all the stuff about budgets and money has set me off thinking. I have really closely looked at our budgets and as we're poor here I don't think we'll be any worse off - we'll have a big deposit for the house and don't plan to live wildly!!!

However, I have read in a couple of places that if you have PR which we do you can claim tax credits although speaking to someone out there they said you have to be resident for 2 years. It sounds awful asking about benefits when we haven't even arrived yet and to be honest I'm not expecting anything - we've done all our sums on our own income alone BUT if we were entitled to something it'd be nice to claim it!!! Is it worth having more children for - haha only joking not sure ANYTHING would convince me to give birth again!!!!

Anyone know the answer???

ta very much
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax credits

Originally Posted by vicejw
Hi

Reading all the stuff about budgets and money has set me off thinking. I have really closely looked at our budgets and as we're poor here I don't think we'll be any worse off - we'll have a big deposit for the house and don't plan to live wildly!!!

However, I have read in a couple of places that if you have PR which we do you can claim tax credits although speaking to someone out there they said you have to be resident for 2 years. It sounds awful asking about benefits when we haven't even arrived yet and to be honest I'm not expecting anything - we've done all our sums on our own income alone BUT if we were entitled to something it'd be nice to claim it!!! Is it worth having more children for - haha only joking not sure ANYTHING would convince me to give birth again!!!!

Anyone know the answer???

ta very much
So long as you are a resident I understand that you get it after 6 months (i think) . These things are always changing and it would be a good idea for you to go to www.ird.govt.nz for all the info. They are NZ inland revenue and are in charge of working for families tax credits. It works thus, the less money you earn and the more kids you have the more you get. We had a total income of around 80k last year we have 3 kids and we got just under $4ooo. So the threshold is quite high. And its not a benefit its a 'tax adjustment'.

In any case like any country you get caned for tax everywhere and I have no qualms aboout takng this money. We pay every cent of tax we owe including all the cash payments I used to get and we have tp pay tax on interst earned on UK accounts...even on my tiny shares divis.

I mention the above as it is REALLY important to be totally honest about your total income..worldwide. If you say you have been earning less than you do (ie hiding cash payments) you will get more money and thus you are defrauding the Crown..not a good look!! And likely to get you deported after conviction (unless you are a citizen).
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

The Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: tax credits

Hi, we have been here for 4 weeks and as long as you have IRD numbers you can claim straight away for tax credits. To get your IRD number you must go to the post office or AA office when you arrive in NZ. Take your passport with full residence visa and driving licence and fill out the forms for the children too. hope this helps.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 9:37 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Jezzers
Hi, we have been here for 4 weeks and as long as you have IRD numbers you can claim straight away for tax credits. To get your IRD number you must go to the post office or AA office when you arrive in NZ. Take your passport with full residence visa and driving licence and fill out the forms for the children too. hope this helps.
Blimey - with the number of kids you've got you must get millions! We got our IRD numbers from the local IRD office and they dealt with it all. Didn't know you could do it at the Post Shop or AA?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:01 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Blimey - with the number of kids you've got you must get millions! We got our IRD numbers from the local IRD office and they dealt with it all. Didn't know you could do it at the Post Shop or AA?
Remember though - if you claim tax credits you can't take the 4 year waiver on overseas income from the IRD.
www.ird.govt.nz
has details

•You or your partner cannot receive Working for Families Tax Credits while being tax exempt from foreign income, but will have to determine which is better for your situation, for example:

Last edited by lardyl; Oct 13th 2009 at 10:05 am. Reason: quoth the IRD
Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

vicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the helpful advice which we will follow. We'll have no income from the UK so that wont be a problem.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
Remember though - if you claim tax credits you can't take the 4 year waiver on overseas income from the IRD.
www.ird.govt.nz
has details
Very good and helpful point!!!