Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tauranga's shake up

Tauranga's shake up

Old Jun 13th 2008, 3:03 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold
Default Tauranga's shake up

Just wondered did anyone else in area feel the quake this a.m, just after 9 o'clock. It measured 5.4 on scale and was centered few miles from White Island, biggest one for quite some time they said.
I have been on a high all day as i felt it, wasn't 100% sure at time what it was, i was parked in a beach car park, not far from my house, its set up a a small hill, so looks down onto sea. I often pop in to the beach carparks after i drop kids to College, on dolphin watch, i missed them yesterday, isn't it typical, i didn't take kids to school, so didn't go to beach early, and they were there, so nipped into 2 beach carparks today and at the 2nd, is when i felt it. It felt like high winds or someone gently rocking your car, but there was no wind, and it shook so much i actually looked behind me, to see if anyone was there, but no-one, so had a funny feeling it was an earthquake, and when i got home, i saw it on news.
Wish i knew what it was, i would have jumped out of car to see if I could feel it under my feet.
It was felt over in city ctr, but thankfully no casualties.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tauranga's shake up

Heres your quake.... I havnt seen the news yet but no doubt it will be on later.

http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/.../2922302g.html

I have felt only one since being here, I was so excited about it but it made me feel nervous too. I was in a friends house in Maraetai and it just started shaking and rattling as we sat there. My OH was in our house here in Beachlands and he said it shook from side to side for quite a while. Scary stuff eh?

Last edited by SarahB; Jun 13th 2008 at 3:29 am.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

newt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant futurenewt has a brilliant future

Remember a couple of good 'uns in amongst the many, one about ten years ago which must have been really shallow, to this day I swear I heard it coming, ran through the house at a rate of knots while I was shaving, cracked the brickwork in the garage, can't have been very strong but it was certainly loud.

T'other was about five years ago, it was around midnight, I had just finished on the comp and logged off, when the monitor started shaking. Thought "oo, this is a big one," went to the back door, turned the outside light on, and my truck which was parked on the lawn was rocking, with the front wheels going side to side as well.

Lasted about a minute, around 6 on the scale if I recall, did quite a bit of damage in Te Anau and even Queenstown.

Show over, went to bed (missus felt the quake and thought it was me clambering in ), then suddenly thought "Oh sh1t oh dear, my barrels!"

Got up, got dressed, drove in to work, went into the barrel hall with torch and baited breath, but the stacks were all in place. Phew. Some of them were five high.

Apparently they bounce when full, according to a fellow winemaker from the Hawke's Bay who was in a barrel hall when a quake hit. I wouldn't want to see that. They weigh about a third of a ton and have very hard edges.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 2:01 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Marika 38
Just wondered did anyone else in area feel the quake this a.m, just after 9 o'clock. It measured 5.4 on scale and was centered few miles from White Island, biggest one for quite some time they said.
I have been on a high all day as i felt it, wasn't 100% sure at time what it was, i was parked in a beach car park, not far from my house, its set up a a small hill, so looks down onto sea. I often pop in to the beach carparks after i drop kids to College, on dolphin watch, i missed them yesterday, isn't it typical, i didn't take kids to school, so didn't go to beach early, and they were there, so nipped into 2 beach carparks today and at the 2nd, is when i felt it. It felt like high winds or someone gently rocking your car, but there was no wind, and it shook so much i actually looked behind me, to see if anyone was there, but no-one, so had a funny feeling it was an earthquake, and when i got home, i saw it on news.
Wish i knew what it was, i would have jumped out of car to see if I could feel it under my feet.
It was felt over in city ctr, but thankfully no casualties.

That's when I was attempting to jog along the beach with the dogs ... oh the shame ... a Richter scale measurement ...
Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:02 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Last edited by Marika 38; Jun 14th 2008 at 8:04 am. Reason: oops, posted twice
Old Jun 14th 2008, 8:03 am
Cornish Lass

Sarah, thanks for the link to that site, that was very intresting, .
Newt, cool stories, must be frightning to see things shaking and rattling infront of you.

And loolah...........you do make me chuckle.......