Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tauranga's nice bits

Tauranga's nice bits

Old Feb 14th 2009, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tauranga's nice bits

I'm looking (after suggestions on my other thread of where to go in NZ - thanks guys) at Tauranga to go to for a holiday/reccie. Can anyone give advice on which bit to stay in please. We have a 7 and 4 year old so staying by the beach is a must but also hopefully near restaurants/general stores (for food shopping). Many thanks
Lorraine
Old Feb 15th 2009, 4:58 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tauranga's nice bits

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
I'm looking (after suggestions on my other thread of where to go in NZ - thanks guys) at Tauranga to go to for a holiday/reccie. Can anyone give advice on which bit to stay in please. We have a 7 and 4 year old so staying by the beach is a must but also hopefully near restaurants/general stores (for food shopping). Many thanks
Lorraine
Hi Lorraine,

I would suggest you stay in Mount Maunganui or Papamoa - easy to get over to Tauranga, but you're on the beach side.

Have a look at the following links for accommodation suggestions;

http://www.boatshed-accommodation.co.nz/

http://www.holidaypark.co.nz/

http://www.cosycorner.co.nz/

http://www.pacificpalmsresort.co.nz/

These are just a few. HTH
Old Feb 15th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Would agree with Loolah. Mount Maunganui is a great place to base yourself. Pilot Bay on one side which has calmer waters for swimming/ kayaking/ fishing and the main Mount Beach the other side for surfing /body boarding etc.Walking distance to shops/bars /restaurants. Its nice and central for most things. You must take time to climb the iconic mount and from the top you can see all round Tauranga. Take a map so you can work out the different areas, this will give you a head start.
What time of tear are you coming?
Ash
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:24 am

I would also just add that NZ doesn't really "do" hotels as we know them. They do units in campsites and bed & breakfast and motels and serviced apartments. Unless you are travelling by campervan and opt to stay in campsites with hook ups for your electrics then to a certain extent it will depend what time of year you intend to come as to whether you wish to stay in unheated campsite units or serviced apartments/motels I would think. Either way it will be a great adventure!

I have 2 contacts who have furnished holiday accommodation if that is more up your street? One in the Mount and one in Papamoa.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

I have 2 contacts who have furnished holiday accommodation if that is more up your street?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes I would be interested to have their details please. You never know quite what you are going to end up with when you book somewhere (as we've learnt to our very great cost in the past!). Self-catering, motels and parks are ideal as we always have trouble booking 2 rooms in hotels as there's no way we will sleep in the same room as them - they chat and snore too much.

We will be coming during our school summer holidays in July (about 15 to 25ish though firm dates/itinerary are yet to be sorted). For that reason, not being too isolated would probably be good. I guess it's going to be chilly there (we're doing short stopovers in Dubai and Singapore, so packing is going to be a nightmare) so heating I think is going to be priority. We would like to be as close to the sea as possible although I know we won't be swimming!

Thanks again
Lorraine
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:18 am

Sorry - you'll have to do it through me nearer the time subject to availability ...

They're not "holiday lets" per se; it'll be dependent on whether their family are in town or not.