British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Tauranga hospital, schools and housing (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/tauranga-hospital-schools-housing-508701/)

mallard Jan 24th 2008 8:16 am

Tauranga hospital, schools and housing

Dear all

We are in the early stages of making the big move to NZ. Tauranga hospital want my CV....great news because I really need a job offer to have enough points as I am only newly qualified in my field. Any one already at Tauranga hospital? I have been looking at the land layout on google earth and I noticed the bridges over the harbour. Do these get heavily congested? is it better to be more inland? best suburbs/ ones to avoid? Anyone with information on schools, I have two girls aged 7 and 11. I know its early days but its all very exciting! :eek:

Many thanks for all replies, help and advice

mallard

karonious Jan 24th 2008 8:30 am

Re: Tauranga hospital, schools and housing

I can't think of any nurses in that area who also frequent this forum :confused:
BUT: if they want your CV I would reckon you stand a damned good chance of landing a job out of it; so good luck! :thumbsup::thumbup::cool:
have some karma to keep you going!

Am Loolah Jan 24th 2008 8:43 am

Originally Posted by mallard (Post 5832379)
Dear all

We are in the early stages of making the big move to NZ. Tauranga hospital want my CV....great news because I really need a job offer to have enough points as I am only newly qualified in my field. Any one already at Tauranga hospital? I have been looking at the land layout on google earth and I noticed the bridges over the harbour. Do these get heavily congested? is it better to be more inland? best suburbs/ ones to avoid? Anyone with information on schools, I have two girls aged 7 and 11. I know its early days but its all very exciting! :eek:

mallard

Tauranga is a huge area, have you narrowed it down at all? Do you want to be in the city near the hospital, or near beaches, say 15 minute drive from hospital?

What age children for schools?

Sorry, being blunt, have you looked at the Wiki at top of page under cities, Tauranga? Quite useful ...:thumbsup:

Ooops, seen ages of kids now ... sorry!

helinuk Jan 24th 2008 8:46 am

Originally Posted by mallard (Post 5832379)
Dear all

mallard

There are several people who work at the hospital and are on the forum, Carolyn the wife of 'paulgent' is a nurse manager there. There was another nurse too. try 'search' and PM Paulgent.
The bridge is being worked on, 2 extra lanes are being built but you are correct it does get busy. You would find it easier to travel there from Bethlehem, Te Puna, side of town. Carolyn reckons she drives to work in 8 mins from Bethlehem.

Am Loolah Jan 24th 2008 8:52 am

Originally Posted by helinuk (Post 5832474)
There are several people who work at the hospital and are on the forum, Carolyn the wife of 'paulgent' is a nurse manager there. There was another nurse too. try 'search' and PM Paulgent.
The bridge is being worked on, 2 extra lanes are being built but you are correct it does get busy. You would find it easier to travel there from Bethlehem, Te Puna, side of town. Carolyn reckons she drives to work in 8 mins from Bethlehem.

I travelled from Tauranga back to Papamoa yesterday at just after 5pm. Great thought I, half an hour to get home ... not the way I was going, free wheeled so to speak, all the way home in 10 minutes, the queues were on the other side of the road!! At most where ever you base yourself, it won't be like any kind of traffic jam you're used to in the UK.:thumbsup:

With young kids, I'd recommend you try and base yourselves out of Tauranga itself and nearer the beaches, so much to do here for the kids - I have 4 kids, aged, 5, 9, 12 and 15 and we're all sweet as ...

Tapuhi Jan 24th 2008 11:13 am

Hi All,

This is brilliant to see other people in the situation as ourseves. We are looking to move over end of the year(ish) to Tauranga.

I qualified last February as a Midwife and was lucky enough to get a job, although we had to move, so that i can consolidate my knowledge as well as gaining my competancies. Have now done all my research on visas etc and will start to look for a job.

I have two boys age 9 and 11 who are looking forward to the outdoor way of life. My OH works in solar energy and loves fishing and sailing, what better place than the Bay of Plenty to do all this?

Would like to keep in contact with people already living and working in Tauranga or those about to make the move who could exchange info about schools, homes, lifestyle etc.

We would prefer to live slighty further out of Tauranga maybe Te Puke or Katikati any comments or opinions about these areas - Good or bad or any others.

Kia ora!

Tapuhi

helinuk Jan 24th 2008 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Tapuhi (Post 5833051)
Hi All,

This is brilliant to see other people in the situation as ourseves. We are looking to move over end of the year(ish) to Tauranga.

I qualified last February as a Midwife and was lucky enough to get a job, although we had to move, so that i can consolidate my knowledge as well as gaining my competancies. Have now done all my research on visas etc and will start to look for a job.

I have two boys age 9 and 11 who are looking forward to the outdoor way of life. My OH works in solar energy and loves fishing and sailing, what better place than the Bay of Plenty to do all this?

Would like to keep in contact with people already living and working in Tauranga or those about to make the move who could exchange info about schools, homes, lifestyle etc.

We would prefer to live slighty further out of Tauranga maybe Te Puke or Katikati any comments or opinions about these areas - Good or bad or any others.

Kia ora!

Tapuhi

Katikati is a small town - inland, a few shops and a Woolworths - supermarket. If you blink as you drive through it you miss it. I live 15 mins drive from it and went there to check it out, a pleasant morning outing but too quiet for me. I've only driven through Te Puke too , also inland.
We live in Omokoroa, 17kms out of Tauranga(and 20 mins drive to town centre or 15 mins to hospital) it has a beach, harbour, boating, fishing, school, playgroup, great views over Kaimais. Very friendly . Any questions fire away.:)