Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tauranga Construction Jobs??

Tauranga Construction Jobs??

Old May 24th 2008, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

custard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant future
Default Tauranga Construction Jobs??

Hi, we have been allocated PR and now I need a job. We were hoping to move to Tauranga but I can,t seem to find any Construction jobs.
Can anybody there help or let me know the situation, all comments appreciated as we hope to move in August,
thanks.
Old May 24th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tauranga Construction Jobs??

[QUOTE=custard creams;6389852]Hi, we have been allocated PR and now I need a job. We were hoping to move to Tauranga but I can,t seem to find any Construction jobs.
Can anybody there help or let me know the situation, all comments appreciated as we hope to move in August,
thanks.[/QUOTE

I`m sure you`ll find that like the rest of the country there is a slow down i n construction as people and developers start to feel the pinch. There are some bigger companies that are ploughing on though. Have you tried Generation, Platinum, Golden Homes? Also about 10 mins from Tauranga , they are building a new city called "The Lakes" which seems to be buzzing with activity. You have to see this place to believe it but you could try there. What`s your trade?
Ash
Old May 24th 2008, 11:42 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by custard creams
Hi, we have been allocated PR and now I need a job. We were hoping to move to Tauranga but I can,t seem to find any Construction jobs.
thanks.
What sort of jobs in Construction????
Old May 25th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

custard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant futurecustard creams has a brilliant future

Hi, time served joiner, experienced in traditional joinery , also spent a lot of time shop fitting in Manchester along with fit out contracts.
Now working as a project Manager but don,t mind joinery work.
Can any body advise the availability of work and any idea of realistic salary.
thanks.
Old May 26th 2008, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, time served joiner, experienced in traditional joinery , also spent a lot of time shop fitting in Manchester along with fit out contracts.
thanks.
You better watch your terminology here, a joiner is a cabinet maker/bespoke pieces manufacturer and an on site joiner is a carpenter, who seems to get involved in everything from shuttering to partitions and plasterboard (thats "Gib" here, its short for Gibraltar board which is a local most used trade name for plasterboard) and to hanging doors and everything in between...

And windows are generally classed as "Aluminum Joinery" just to confuse even further...

Good luck on the job search though

I work for Fletchers, and we are the biggest construction company in NZ
Old May 26th 2008, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks.

I think you`ll find that the work availability is going in line with the housing market which as i`m sure you are aware is suffering a down turn at the moment.I know of a local bricklaying firm who are having to lay guys off. Generation, who were building one house a week this time last year are , I believe, now just building to order. I`m sure that there is work out there but I would get a guarantee before you leave if I were you.
As for salary, I have no idea. Sorry. Hopefully someone else might be able to help with that.
Good luck
Ash
Old May 26th 2008, 6:44 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Salary as a builder? As an unknown new migrant you'll be luck to hit $15 an hour.
Not a good time for chippies to arrive mate. I'd advise you to push the cabinet maker side of things and go for a different job for now.
Old May 26th 2008, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

My OH has job ffer as carpenter/joiner in Christchurch area with starting salary of $23 ph. Best of luck to you!
Old May 26th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

krissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant futurekrissie has a brilliant future

hiya,
we came here with hubby, like you, traditional joiner...found it really different...didnt work with 'real wood'!!! (his words) and didnt enjoy the work at all. Kept the job for as long as he had to but is now into something different...lots of new properties being built here, and still 'joinery' jobs advertised...i dont think youll have any probs getting work but it wont be like the typical uk joinery work... just keep your mind open and get here then see what you want to do!! good luck!