Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tauranga- Bay of Plenty

Tauranga- Bay of Plenty

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tauranga- Bay of Plenty

We are just starting the research-visa process to NZ and think Tauranga looks a possible place to move to.
Can anyone tell me about housing - near beach locations that are good,
traffic to Auckland - not to work there just to visit.
SHops - I'm love shopping
activities for teenagers- cinema etc,
theatres?
Beaches/country walks for dogs- we're thinking about bringing our springer spaniel .
How cold is sea? Do you need to wear a wet suit?
I enjoyed surfing in OZ - even swam in sea in Melbourne- how does it compare?
Apart from our present work both of us are interested in teaching English to foreigners- we have the TESOL cert. anyone know of language schools in Tauranga area or know anyone who offers homestays/English lesson that I could speak to.
OK thats probably enough questions for now-
*I don't mind negative replies as long as they're backed up with facts-
I'm not interested slanging /flaming posts- thanks

Helen
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tauranga- Bay of Plenty

Originally Posted by helinuk
We are just starting the research-visa process to NZ and think Tauranga looks a possible place to move to.
theatres?
Beaches/country walks for dogs- we're thinking about bringing our springer spaniel .
Apart from our present work both of us are interested in teaching English to foreigners- we have the TESOL cert. anyone know of language schools in Tauranga area or know anyone who offers homestays/English lesson that I could speak to.

Helen
Hi Helen

We'll let you know! We move to Tauranga on 14th August! YIPPEE.

Shippers are coming on Thursday, it's all go.

We have dones lots of research on Tauranga, thought it looked beautiful. I asked about travel time to Auckland - just for interest (not commuting) someone on here advised about 2.5 hours.

Nick
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickcharliepark
Hi Helen

We'll let you know! We move to Tauranga on 14th August! YIPPEE.

Shippers are coming on Thursday, it's all go.

We have dones lots of research on Tauranga, thought it looked beautiful. I asked about travel time to Auckland - just for interest (not commuting) someone on here advised about 2.5 hours.

Nick
Hi Nick
wow lucky you! I look forward to hearing about your move.
It's strange, we have loads of leaflets and touristy paperwork from our 2 holidays in NZ (1997+99)and Tauranga is mentioned as a place in BOP but there doesn't seem to be anything else about it. I'm looking for pictures of the town, beaches, houses, anything to get an idea of the place as a place to live! We must have driven through it but I can't remember it?!!
When our son did his gap year in Dunedin he travelled all over NZ and said he thought we'd like Tauranga - especially because of the warm climate.
Who are you shipping with?
Are you renting a place when you arrive?
Do you have a job to go to?
Helen
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Hi Nick
It's strange, we have loads of leaflets and touristy paperwork from our 2 holidays in NZ (1997+99)and Tauranga is mentioned as a place in BOP but there doesn't seem to be anything else about it. I'm looking for pictures of the town, beaches, houses, anything to get an idea of the place as a place to live! We must have driven through it but I can't remember it?!!
When our son did his gap year in Dunedin he travelled all over NZ and said he thought we'd like Tauranga - especially because of the warm climate.
Helen
Tauranga has really expanded over the last few years, quite busy now. Plenty of shops and nightlife, good beaches close by. It is a very desirable place to live but can be quite pricey.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:00 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

theatres?

Helen
Helen

You will love Tauranga if you can find reasonable well paid employment. I was born there and go back for family get togethers - have no idea about property values as we dont intend to sell our family house in Ocean View Road or our beach house in Papamoa.

Plenty to keep the kids occupied outside and last visit there was plenty of new cafes and restaurants. If you can fly its only a small flight in light aircraft to Auckland (via Ardmore) or too Wellington for some retail therapy.

Good luck

Kiwi
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

theatres?

Helen
Hi Helen,

We moved out here in 2001 with 3 teenagers and whilst its not always been a bed of roses has worked out pretty well generally. If you want to PM me then go ahead and I will try to answer specifics. In the meantime and on the subject of teaching a friend of ours has been teaching english to foreign students at a school in Wangamata - a little north of us - but has recently been made redundant due to falling numbers of students as a result of the high dollar and therefore high cost. Don't want to put a damper on your plans but she has been looking for similar work the past few months in and around Tauranga and has not had any luck so far.

Sorry bout that
Cheers
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

HOBSON1840 has a spectacular aura aboutHOBSON1840 has a spectacular aura aboutHOBSON1840 has a spectacular aura about

Hi Nick
Helen
Tauranga / Mount Maunganui is fantastic - you will love it .. here are some pics for you ...

Link: http://www.pbase.com/enigma35/new_zealand_splendour
Old Jul 24th 2006, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by thebears
Helen

You will love Tauranga if you can find reasonable well paid employment. I was born there and go back for family get togethers - have no idea about property values as we dont intend to sell our family house in Ocean View Road or our beach house in Papamoa.

Plenty to keep the kids occupied outside and last visit there was plenty of new cafes and restaurants. If you can fly its only a small flight in light aircraft to Auckland (via Ardmore) or too Wellington for some retail therapy.

Good luck

Kiwi
Thank you for the info kiwi :-)

...you don't rent the houses out do you
helen
Old Jul 24th 2006, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Herm
Hi Helen,

We moved out here in 2001 with 3 teenagers and whilst its not always been a bed of roses has worked out pretty well generally. If you want to PM me then go ahead and I will try to answer specifics. In the meantime and on the subject of teaching a friend of ours has been teaching english to foreign students at a school in Wangamata - a little north of us - but has recently been made redundant due to falling numbers of students as a result of the high dollar and therefore high cost. Don't want to put a damper on your plans but she has been looking for similar work the past few months in and around Tauranga and has not had any luck so far.

Sorry bout that
Cheers
Thanks Herm.
shame about the teaching- wonder if there's anywhere else in nz that has jobs?
I'll keep you in mind re pm thanks
helen
Old Jul 24th 2006, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HOBSON1840
Tauranga / Mount Maunganui is fantastic - you will love it .. here are some pics for you ...

Link: http://www.pbase.com/enigma35/new_zealand_splendour
wow what great photos! thanks Hobson
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:36 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Herm.
shame about the teaching- wonder if there's anywhere else in nz that has jobs?
I'll keep you in mind re pm thanks
helen
What about Bucklands Beach. Howick areas in Auckland - alot of Asian children are sent to the local schools and might need additional English Tuition?
Old Jul 25th 2006, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by thebears
What about Bucklands Beach. Howick areas in Auckland - alot of Asian children are sent to the local schools and might need additional English Tuition?
Now thats a great insiders tip- thank you
Old Jul 25th 2006, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future

Hi,

We have lived in Papamoa since the start of the year, and are really glad we made the move. I have young children so can't help out with teen activities, but I know there some sort of language school at the Mount as I know two people who teach there. If you want to PM me I can ask for details about it etc.

Other than than, the beach is fantastic; the weather is pretty good (mid winter - and although it gets very cold at night and early morning - especially with no central heating - I never really wear anything heavier than a light jumper in the days. BUT - when it rains - it REALLY rains!!! Luckily that doesn't happen TOO often), and the people are really friendly. I have made more friends here in 6 months than I had back in the UK.

Hope this helps a little.

Kathryn
Old Jul 25th 2006, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kathm
Hi,

We have lived in Papamoa since the start of the year, and are really glad we made the move. I have young children so can't help out with teen activities, but I know there some sort of language school at the Mount as I know two people who teach there. If you want to PM me I can ask for details about it etc.

Other than than, the beach is fantastic; the weather is pretty good (mid winter - and although it gets very cold at night and early morning - especially with no central heating - I never really wear anything heavier than a light jumper in the days. BUT - when it rains - it REALLY rains!!! Luckily that doesn't happen TOO often), and the people are really friendly. I have made more friends here in 6 months than I had back in the UK.

Hope this helps a little.

Kathryn
Yes that really helps thank you. I'll pm you
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Mt Maunganui Beach - 5 mins from Tauranga.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.