Tauranga

Old Aug 15th 2018, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tauranga

lets be honest, half of NZ is under threat from tsunamis,

Out of curiosity, do your kids still qualify to come with their ages being what they are
Old Aug 15th 2018, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
lets be honest, half of NZ is under threat from tsunamis,

Out of curiosity, do your kids still qualify to come with their ages being what they are
This forum member was born in Rotorua, NZ so kids will be kiwi citizens by descent and as such won't have to qualify for visas.

Hypothetically speaking, assuming they did need visas, a dependent can be as old as 24 (I think) so long as they still rely on you financially as the parent or guardian.
Old Aug 15th 2018, 10:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

you lot are making me want to move up there. Indeed , several people in our area , Nelson and surrounds , have moved there from here. .
Old Aug 18th 2018, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Kiwijock65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Yes my son and daughter have New Zealand passports as I am from New Zealand.
My wife is going through the process of applying for "partner of a New Zealand citizen" visa
Old Aug 18th 2018, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Hi,
Thanks very much for all of your info and advice - much appreciated.
We are continuing our research and now focusing on West suburbs of Tauranga and West BOP - 3 bed 2 bath house for rental.
Still liking the look of Omokoroa too.
Realistically we will just have to wait until we get there and look about but good to have opinions from people with local knowledge.
Going to register with Estate Agents and hopefully we will have places organised to look at when we do eventually get there.
I'm also looking just now for short term "furnished" lets as we will need something until all our stuff arrives from UK.
All pretty overwhelming but we are determined to make it happen.
Old Aug 18th 2018, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwijock65
Hi,
Thanks very much for all of your info and advice - much appreciated.
We are continuing our research and now focusing on West suburbs of Tauranga and West BOP - 3 bed 2 bath house for rental.
Still liking the look of Omokoroa too.
Realistically we will just have to wait until we get there and look about but good to have opinions from people with local knowledge.
Going to register with Estate Agents and hopefully we will have places organised to look at when we do eventually get there.
I'm also looking just now for short term "furnished" lets as we will need something until all our stuff arrives from UK.
All pretty overwhelming but we are determined to make it happen.
Cool.
West is definitely best.
You'll probably work this out with your research but 3 bed 2 bath will be at least $500 per week and that may well be an older property. Property rent prices, just like buying prices continue to rise. You'll need 6 times weekly rent to secure a place. 4 times is lodged with the government as your bond, 1 times is your week in advance and 1 times plus GST is your letting fee, then you'll need to start paying again on the day you move in to maintain a week in advance.
I'm happy to advise on areas, streets and properties if you wish. I've done that for a few migrants here as it's very difficult to understand the terrain and surroundings to a property when you don't know the area. Saved a few people from living above an industrial area or backing on to a really busy road.
More rentals will appear in Omokoroa as there's a lot of construction ready to go but think about traffic. Can take 45 mins to get in to town at the wrong time.
You could use a motel for short term furnished or look on AirBNB or BookaBach.

Old Aug 25th 2018, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for the info.
Any idea what it would be like living in Katikati?
I. E. Maybe too quiet? For me it looks perfect. Good community place and a good looking golf club. But I am not sure it would suit my 22 year old son and 19 year old daughter? Who obviously want to have a bit of a social life and would probably prefer being closer to Tauranga.
I am asking as I saw a good house advertised for rental and is fully furnishe'd which would be ideal for us. We won't have any furniture with us as my wife has decided to stay on in Scotland until everything there is sorted out. So my son, daughter and I are planning to move mid Novemmber
Old Aug 25th 2018, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks again for the info.
Any idea what it would be like living in Katikati?
I. E. Maybe too quiet? For me it looks perfect. Good community place and a good looking golf club. But I am not sure it would suit my 22 year old son and 19 year old daughter? Who obviously want to have a bit of a social life and would probably prefer being closer to Tauranga.
I am asking as I saw a good house advertised for rental and is fully furnishe'd which would be ideal for us. We won't have any furniture with us as my wife has decided to stay on in Scotland until everything there is sorted out. So my son, daughter and I are planning to move mid Novemmber
Katikati seems ok to me. Another small farming community that has grown over the years. I quite like it although it is a small town and very quiet. No nightlife although the pub / hotel may open a bit later. It is known as the mural town as there's painted wall murals all over the town centre that tells a story of its history with a small museum and you can take a mural walking tour with a guide. There's everything there that you need, loads of cafes, shops, a couple restaurants. There's a river walk/cycle path that takes you all the way out to the estuary which is cool.
Unless you live there it is more or less a place you just drive through either on the way to Auckland or Tauranga and you may or may not stop. SH2 runs right through the middle and has been the cause of a lot of unrest for years with the locals demanding a bypass which has been approved a couple of times but has never got to design and construction. The town centre is often very busy due to traffic with trucks thundering through.
The golf course is 5-10 mins East towards Tauranga. More on the fringe of Katikati and in a rural area called Aongatete (Ong-a-tet-eh). Fairview GC is beautiful. I've been a member for a few years but have given it up for the time being as they sold off the central driving range for squizillions of $'s for a posh housing project. It has been split into 35 sections and is an exclusive development with a new access from the car park etc. With the money they've redeveloped the first 5 holes which is now all done but it needs bedding in time and the old driving range still a construction site with a couple years building which I don't like. Maybe I'll rejoin when it's all done ?
Fees were approx $800 / year full male adult. Stunning course. Lots of water and hazards and quite long. Has full facilities shop/carts/practice area etc. Also pretty quiet. Just turn up and play. Its around $400 a year cheaper than the not as nice courses in Tauranga. I tried em all before joining Fairview. A huge part of Fairview is the retirement village and country club so most of the golf members are OAP's with lots of cash as they get membership by living there or owning property there.

It may be ok to live there temporarily but you'll get sick of the drive if you're spending a lot of time in Tauranga. It's at least 40 mins if the traffic is kind.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again,
I did send an application for the house as it is available around the time we plan to come.I thought it might be snapped up quickly although my son and daughter aren't' too keen. I don't see many furnished rentals advertised. My wife is initially staying on in Uk so we won't be shipping furniture yet.
Not too sure about Kitikati now but the golf club sounds like it is worth a visit.
Old Aug 27th 2018, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks again,
I did send an application for the house as it is available around the time we plan to come.I thought it might be snapped up quickly although my son and daughter aren't' too keen. I don't see many furnished rentals advertised. My wife is initially staying on in Uk so we won't be shipping furniture yet.
Not too sure about Kitikati now but the golf club sounds like it is worth a visit.
I'm guessing but looks like there's only two furnished that would be big enough for you in Kati - both 4 bedroom ones.
If it's the Riverlea Drive house, fine down there towards the river/estuary. Very quiet, but a bit of a drive to get back in to town. Effectively on the wrong side of town if a lot of the things you'll be doing are in Tauranga.
If it's the Wright Road property that isn't really Kati. It's Aongatete and further East than the golf club so a lot of the way towards Tauranga and it'll be rural as Wright Road goes all the way in to the Kaimai's so all lifestyle properties and farms up there.
Yes the GC is a must place for a visit. Maybe catch a round with you there when you are over. I've not played it since they redeveloped the first 5 holes and I'd like to try it.