British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Tauranga (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/tauranga-874998/)

Parnell Mar 28th 2016 8:17 pm

Tauranga

Already very familiar with the Mount but would appreciate any current information on areas surrounding Tauranga.

Specifically looking at elevated lifestyle blocks with panoramic views of the mount and surrounding area.

Agents have suggested Welcome Bay and Papamoa hills but would like some more unbiased comments.

Requirements are:

Sloping site for large house/office (4,000 sqm build footprint over a site foot print of 1500 sqm.

Views
Views
Views

Looking at minimum of 5,000 sqm site

Plenty of native bush preferential but have large landscaping budget so if barren not a problem

escapedtonz Mar 28th 2016 8:43 pm

Re: Tauranga

I wouldn't consider Welcome Bay and Pap Hills. Great views can be had from the top end of Welcome Bay though and this is out of the rough part of the village but you'll always have to drive through it and traffic can be a nightmare through the village. There is a new bypass going in at the junction of SH29 to get in to the city but doubtful it'll make the congestion any better as it will still go down to one lane ;-)

Look at the Te Puna / Whakamarama in the hills towards the Kaimai's and also as you drive out of Ohauiti and maybe Oropi/Pya Pa in certain places. Fantastic views of the Mount can be had.
Hopefully you mean a 400 sq metre build footprint......ha ha I wonder how long it'd take to vacuum a 4000 sq metre home ;-)

Parnell Mar 28th 2016 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 11907517)
I wouldn't consider Welcome Bay and Pap Hills. Great views can be had from the top end of Welcome Bay though and this is out of the rough part of the village but you'll always have to drive through it and traffic can be a nightmare through the village. There is a new bypass going in at the junction of SH29 to get in to the city but doubtful it'll make the congestion any better as it will still go down to one lane ;-)

Look at the Te Puna / Whakamarama in the hills towards the Kaimai's and also as you drive out of Ohauiti and maybe Oropi/Pya Pa in certain places. Fantastic views of the Mount can be had.
Hopefully you mean a 400 sq metre build footprint......ha ha I wonder how long it'd take to vacuum a 4000 sq metre home ;-)

Thanks yes Te Puna and Ohauiti I have a few properties on the list. Ohauti being close to AGC?

It is 4,000 sqm but not for me to worry about cleaning. Property is not all home as includes office and associated parking facilties for staff.

escapedtonz Mar 28th 2016 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Parnell (Post 11907543)
Thanks yes Te Puna and Ohauiti I have a few properties on the list. Ohauti being close to AGC?

It is 4,000 sqm but not for me to worry about cleaning. Property is not all home as includes office and associated parking facilties for staff.

You mean ACG....as the school in Pyes Pa ?
Ohauiti is close as the crow fly's but in driving distance its a trek as you have to go down to SH59 and then head towards Hamilton to Pyes Pa then turn for ACG.
There is a route through from Ohauiti via the back end of Oropi to Pyes Pa via the back roads through the bush but man it's twisty, narrow and slow and some of it still unsealed.

You may have to go way further out if you want to build a business as well as a home and have staff on site etc. Section covenants usually state you must build minimum 200 square metres, you can't have a business on site and all that palava yada yada. They are fairly strict so you may have to go where there are no covenants on the land.
The other option is to buy a mahoosive section or lifestyle block of many acres and subdivide it yourself as you get to specify the covenants but the cost may be cost prohibitive. You really need to check out the fine print. You don't want to make the mistake of paying out half a mill $'s then find you can't operate the land as you intend.

Parnell Mar 28th 2016 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 11907567)
You mean ACG....as the school in Pyes Pa ?
Ohauiti is close as the crow fly's but in driving distance its a trek as you have to go down to SH59 and then head towards Hamilton to Pyes Pa then turn for ACG.
There is a route through from Ohauiti via the back end of Oropi to Pyes Pa via the back roads through the bush but man it's twisty, narrow and slow and some of it still unsealed.

You may have to go way further out if you want to build a business as well as a home and have staff on site etc. Section covenants usually state you must build minimum 200 square metres, you can't have a business on site and all that palava yada yada. They are fairly strict so you may have to go where there are no covenants on the land.
The other option is to buy a mahoosive section or lifestyle block of many acres and subdivide it yourself as you get to specify the covenants but the cost may be cost prohibitive. You really need to check out the fine print. You don't want to make the mistake of paying out half a mill $'s then find you can't operate the land as you intend.

Yes aware of planning issues. we already will be needing resource consent but have informal consent already, due to factors of the build and what employment is coming. Business has to be combined office and home. One of the purchase conditions is combined resource consent and building approval. Expectation is a $2 million land cost.

Have looked at range of sizes, last one was 49 hectares in Karaka, Auckland. But the travel times for staff are just not viable. So guess that is also a consideration in Tauranga area is commute times from major areas such as Papamoa, The Mount, Bethlehem, Katikati

I do like the idea of being up closer to the Kaimai ranges looking out.