Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taupo: Is Wairakei a good area to live?

Taupo: Is Wairakei a good area to live?

Old Dec 10th 2011, 6:04 am
Just Joined

timbo1604 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taupo: Is Wairakei a good area to live?

I lived in Taupo for 3 years and now live in Rotorua and want to move back. Found a decent house in Wairakei Village but strangely enough, never went there while I was living about 15 mins down the road.

Some tell me it's average and some tell me it's ok. The houses are cheap but I'm not sure if it's because of the distance to town or because the area's rubbish!

I know the rest of Taupo very well but any advice on Wairakei would be gratefully received!
Old Dec 10th 2011, 9:47 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taupo: Is Wairakei a good area to live?

A good mate of mine lives there, but he's been there since the power station was built. Social life seems to revolve about who's home brew hooch is ready.
There's a letter in the local paper complaining that even though they pay local rates, they don't get local council support.
You're out of town, but the community is small and close knit as far as I know.
Better off coming to town bro, but avoid the golden triangle. There's reason's why the houses are cheap, and a dear house here is cheap compared to Auckland.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
and a dear house here is cheap compared to Auckland.
As much as I like it in auckland that is the main reason I've now started to look around the country,
Houses prices are ridiculous up here.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

timbo1604 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Haze and Steve,

Do you know what kind of area it is with regards to petty crime and local dickheads (if I can say that?!).

Had a lot of fun in Taupo but much prefer to live away from the town centre. Kinloch's nice too but Wairakei is much cheaper!

Still working in Rotorua 3 days a week too so would be a great location to get to both towns from. Just don't want to end up on a dodgy street with drunk and agro neighbours!
Old Dec 11th 2011, 3:24 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Haze has clients in Kinloch who send their kids to school there, and it's not often in the paper which must be a good thing. There is a pub and a dairy, so you're not dependent on town.
We had genuinely good advice from a local real estate agent when we were looking. Also popped in to the police station to see where they visit most.
Probably worth sticking your nose round there of a Saturday night to check noise levels.