Taupo

Old Jan 2nd 2014, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

Lornarovers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taupo

Hi everybody

Me, my husband and our four year old son are looking at moving to Taupo from the UK in the next couple of months. My husband has applied for a job in Turangi as a Corrections Officer and has been for an interview which went well. I'm just after some advice as to which area in Taupo is best for schools for our son (he turns 5 in April). I've head that Hilltop and Waipahihi schools are good, is there anybody who have got children that go to either of these schools? Any advice will be greatly received!
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

snaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nicesnaps is just really nice
Default Re: Taupo

This may help until a better reply comes in.

http://nz-schools.findthebest.co.nz/d/c/Taupo
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Snaps
Old Mar 10th 2014, 8:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm unable to help as I'm nowhere near Taupo and have no offspring. Have been to Taupo though. Lovely town IMO>

Anyway, welcome to this little New Zealand forum. Hopefully someone might be along soon who knows more about the area.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Thank you BEVS!

We're very excited about moving to Taupo :-)
Old Mar 13th 2014, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

nicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nice

Taupo is an awesome place to live, something happening always and plenty to see and do all year round. I can't help you with Schools but Hilltops a good area, if I can help you with anything else feel free to ask. My partner and I met plenty of friendly folk here who helped us settle almost 2 years ago after a short period in Gizzy so only to happy to do the same. Turangi's a good 45 mins drive but a breath taking one at that... good luck. Paul and Dani
Old Mar 19th 2014, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Paul & Dani! We're so excited!

We're thinking that Hilltop will be the best place for us, are there any areas that we should avoid?

How cold does it get in winter? And if you don't mind me asking how much you spend on heating?
Old Mar 21st 2014, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

nicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nice

Hilltops a great place to look, if you check out google maps for Spa Rd, Scannell Street and Pihanga Street, anywhere within that Triangle avoid along with Marshall Avenue and Grace Crescent at Richmond.
We’re heading for our 3rd winter here and so far they’ve been fairly mild, we have had some great days here with clear skies, sun beaming down and the white snow capped mountains from the south will never fail to take your breath away…. It can get below zero during the night but during the day I find it way more pleasant than the typical dull grey wet cold winters of England; not saying it never rains, it has cold overcast days… but its certainly been for us a milder brighter happier winter if you get me. Plus I’ve not seen any snow in Taupo….. yet
By 5pm ish you’ll want to get the fire on to keep the house warm… by 5.30/6ish it’s going dark. We live rural and get our wood for free but depending on what heating you have and the type of house/positioning you’d pay around $280 for the colder months for a wood burner, with no central heating and no gas. That’s roughly what we paid when we lived in Hilltop, Tamamutu Street, our rented 4 bed was old, open plan with upstairs bedrooms and very cold, we only rented while finding our feet. It had a wetback which helps keep your water hot, best to bath/shower while the fires blazing away…
For electric, we were with Contact Energy and paid $30/week which kept us well in credit (only the two of us).
Food bills, we averaged $200/week but we found a fruit and veg cheaper at a local stall nr Spar Park, awesome for fresh summer fruits unlike the supermarkets, there fruit is dry stored in a cooler so can be old and doesn’t seem to last, that’s our experience.
When do you arrive? PM us if you like, we’re heading back to the UK soon for a month to get married but if you need anything else let us know… 
Old Jun 15th 2014, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Emmaandchris2012 is just really niceEmmaandchris2012 is just really niceEmmaandchris2012 is just really niceEmmaandchris2012 is just really niceEmmaandchris2012 is just really niceEmmaandchris2012 is just really niceEmmaandchris2012 is just really niceEmmaandchris2012 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nicorsts1
Hilltops a great place to look, if you check out google maps for Spa Rd, Scannell Street and Pihanga Street, anywhere within that Triangle avoid along with Marshall Avenue and Grace Crescent at Richmond.
We’re heading for our 3rd winter here and so far they’ve been fairly mild, we have had some great days here with clear skies, sun beaming down and the white snow capped mountains from the south will never fail to take your breath away…. It can get below zero during the night but during the day I find it way more pleasant than the typical dull grey wet cold winters of England; not saying it never rains, it has cold overcast days… but its certainly been for us a milder brighter happier winter if you get me. Plus I’ve not seen any snow in Taupo….. yet
By 5pm ish you’ll want to get the fire on to keep the house warm… by 5.30/6ish it’s going dark. We live rural and get our wood for free but depending on what heating you have and the type of house/positioning you’d pay around $280 for the colder months for a wood burner, with no central heating and no gas. That’s roughly what we paid when we lived in Hilltop, Tamamutu Street, our rented 4 bed was old, open plan with upstairs bedrooms and very cold, we only rented while finding our feet. It had a wetback which helps keep your water hot, best to bath/shower while the fires blazing away…
For electric, we were with Contact Energy and paid $30/week which kept us well in credit (only the two of us).
Food bills, we averaged $200/week but we found a fruit and veg cheaper at a local stall nr Spar Park, awesome for fresh summer fruits unlike the supermarkets, there fruit is dry stored in a cooler so can be old and doesn’t seem to last, that’s our experience.
When do you arrive? PM us if you like, we’re heading back to the UK soon for a month to get married but if you need anything else let us know… 
What's wrong with Grace crescent???!!
Old Jun 24th 2014, 3:48 am
Just Joined

jorgelorenzo is an unknown quantity at this point

Am in Taupo, Hilltop school is great get a house in the zone. Taupo is fantastic. Please bring solar panels & inverter, my wife would like a load of flat pack ikea furniture too, oh & double glazing as we are renovating...