Tat

Old Feb 3rd 2017, 8:05 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tat

from my understanding Kiwi's don't know what this is. at least the ones I have used the word with haven't.

So what tat do you have that you bought to remind you of the UK.?

small die cast British telephone boxes, small die case British Policemans hat with a bell, small stuffed rotund British policeman, small stuffed rotund Buckingham Palace guard.

Probably have a lot more but thats what I bought in the airport before flying out so it is tat.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tat

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
from my understanding Kiwi's don't know what this is. at least the ones I have used the word with haven't.

small die cast British telephone boxes, small die case British Policemans hat with a bell, small stuffed rotund British policeman, small stuffed rotund Buckingham Palace guard.

Probably have a lot more but thats what I bought in the airport before flying out so it is tat.
Your tat is probably collectible and ready for a profit on Trademe :-). Even my discarded laundry tub was taken by the plumber who said he would get $10 for it!
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan

I have no wish to be obtuse but I do not have that feeling that I want to be reminded of the UK in any way whatsoever. I have so much stuff I bought from the UK, a high volume 40 foot container worth. I collect lots of old junk. It is all stuff that reminds me of 'bits' of my life but not the UK per se.

For me that part of my life the 'UK' bit has long gone and I do not miss much of the 'old life'. I have far fonder memories of all my travelling around the world and living in Spain and my big OE in 89/90 than I do my 45 years of life in the UK.

One of my favourite things is a genuine old street car destination (Argonaut) sign from San Fransisco. Another is a small aluminium sign off a tourist bus (SP) that I found in the gutter on the Paseo Maritimo in Palma. And the other wonderful bit of tat I have is an antique tin box I found in a skip in Amsterdam. It was covered in rust. I bought it home and restored it. There, things from my travels mean so much more to me.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I have quite a collection of various bits of old tat, pictures, vases and various objects we have bought on holidays when it seemed like a good idea at the time. Most of it is tucked away in cupboards along with the old commemorative royal mugs from childhood and such like, as I hate seeing ornaments and old tat on display around the house.
Old Feb 6th 2017, 6:21 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I do like a mug, top shelf of the mug cupboard has mugs from places we have visited. I'm not convinced they are "real" tat but MrF thinks they are as they are not to be used.