British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Talking about cars....... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/talking-about-cars-438268/)

P2L Mar 28th 2007 8:35 pm

Talking about cars.......

Does NZ have a number plate system?? :huh:

How does it work? 6 monthly like here or yearly? :confused:

How do you read it? ( No smart answers boys!!!):unsure:

Answers on a postcard please............ starting from..................

NOW!!! :rofl:

Ray Mar 28th 2007 8:36 pm

Re: Talking about cars.......

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 4574398)
How do you read it? ( No smart answers boys!!!)
:

OK.... I will say nothing...

P2L Mar 28th 2007 8:38 pm

Cheeky :p :p

Ray Mar 28th 2007 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 4574413)
Cheeky :p :p

You have been looking at my pics again .....

P2L Mar 28th 2007 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4574421)
You have been looking at my pics again .....

Damn!! you caught me!!!:rofl: :rofl:

Now bugger off if you don't know the answer ;) :lol:

P18PPS Mar 28th 2007 9:09 pm

My understanding is that there is a sequential numbering system, but it is just that and has no reflection on the age of a vehicle. There are loads of imported used cars (we have 2 that are 10 and 14 years old), when they were registered to us (we were the first NZ owners) they were given a number issued via the post office upon registering and paying the tax etc. Also private regs are common and don't cost anywhere near the same as that in the UK. Ultimately I don't think a number plate really tells you that much on the age of the vehicle.

I'm sure if there is someone who works for transit NZ they'll be able to give you more detail....

jueinnz Mar 28th 2007 9:17 pm

yer its just a sequencial system, what it means it that there is no "keeping up with the Jones's" because you can't tell the age of your car by the No. plate.
n.b if a car is imported tomorrow and 10 years old it will have a newer no. plate than one which is 6 months old off the forecourt.;)

sky Mar 28th 2007 9:17 pm

I have never worked out how you can tell the age and where a car was originally registered by the series of numbers and letters on the plate.
I do know that the plates are registered and you have to renew every six months or a year .... or even three if you have no money to spare. If you don't pay the reg you have to surrender the plates which are robust metal things, if you scrap the car or write it off you also have to surrender the plates.
One of our cars was set fire to and completely burnt out and we didn't know we had to surrender the plates, we got it towed away free by a scrap merchant and he didn't tell us we needed to take the burnt beyond all recognition plates to the AA fill in a form and surrender them :blink:

P2L Mar 28th 2007 9:28 pm

So if you can't tell how old a car is by its plates, how do you know its 'real' age when buying?

Can someone sell you something that's actually 5 years older than they're making out?

jueinnz Mar 28th 2007 9:35 pm

I guess so !!! but most manufactures wouldn't make the same model car for that sort of time, and it would state the age on your regisration docs? Obviously you wouldn't by a car from someone with out those. Same as UK.

sky Mar 28th 2007 9:52 pm

You still have documents for the cars age etc which gets transferred to you when you buy the car.

P2L Mar 29th 2007 10:08 pm

Thank you all. Your reward will be in heaven! Well little blue boxes actually ;) :lol:

Maz Mar 30th 2007 1:10 am

Do cars over there have VINs? (vehicle identification numbers) Those are the only things in the US that stay the same. They're very long and really only on your registration documents (can't get the title until it's paid off) and insurance documents. If you transfer the car to someone else, it gets re-registered and gets a new plate. :blink:

Ray Mar 30th 2007 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4580389)
Do cars over there have VINs? (vehicle identification numbers) Those are the only things in the US that stay the same. They're very long and really only on your registration documents (can't get the title until it's paid off) and insurance documents. If you transfer the car to someone else, it gets re-registered and gets a new plate. :blink:

All cars worldwide have VINs ....

Maz Mar 30th 2007 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 4580523)
All cars worldwide have VINs ....

Thank you, your lordship. :p :D