Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taking your pet with you...

Taking your pet with you...

Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice
Default Re: Taking your pet with you...

We're taking our two german shorthaired pointers and it will be around £4-5k, but I liked the point about them making the first months easier. I totally agree - people speak to you when you have dogs (or kids).

We will probably go with Golden Arrow because we want to board them for 2 weeks after we fly to allow us time to find a rental with a big garden and a high fence. They have to stay on the property for a month and ours are used to and need a lot of exercise so I expect speedways round the garden and being driven to distraction until they can get out and about.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:25 am
Just Joined

cliffbarrimore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer
We're taking our two german shorthaired pointers and it will be around £4-5k, but I liked the point about them making the first months easier. I totally agree - people speak to you when you have dogs (or kids).

We will probably go with Golden Arrow because we want to board them for 2 weeks after we fly to allow us time to find a rental with a big garden and a high fence. They have to stay on the property for a month and ours are used to and need a lot of exercise so I expect speedways round the garden and being driven to distraction until they can get out and about.
Hi
Whereabouts in NZ are you going, we found it very difficult to get somewhere that would take dogs or any pets... we are doing a rent-to-buy that way we can do what we like with the property, even give it back and move on if we like.. good luck, we found it really hard, one thing get references for your dogs if you can, saying what they are like, difficult I know but the more you give to the landlord the less chance they can say no, also offer to have the house professionally cleaned on leaving and offer a 'pet bond' for if they damage anything...try and cover everything and you should be OK

Cliff
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

Auckland or Wellington - depends on jobs really. There were certainly more rental options with dogs in Auckland than in Wellington.

Our dogs are big and lively, but they are well-trained and well-exercised. And I have a very good carpet cleaner.

My neighbour hated dogs, but now wants one having spent time with ours - I'll get her to write a reference!!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:35 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Auckland is many times bigger than Wellignton and the sections are in general larger so you will have more chance at a decent rental....but it will still be a hard job!

You will have to register the two dogs. In many places having one dogs is OK but two or more need the council to check your property (I think)

In Wellington walking you dogs is an issue near the City. Most City beaches are shut for dogs during the hours of daylight in summertime. The Town Belt walks are on leash mostly.

If you do come to Wellington you'd be best living in The Hutt valley (Upper Hutt) or on the Kapiti Coast.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We live rural and when we asked the local council if we needed permission or inspections for 3 or 4 dogs we got blank looks from the staff.... but if we lived in ChCh I know that we wouldn't even be allowed to have our 4 dogs - they are pretty strict about things such as :
  • dog free areas and dog free access to the house for dog haters/allergic people
  • the size of space outside (garden) around the house
  • the neighbours' views - neighbours can refuse to consent to more than 2 dogs next door in ChCh
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by janeyk
We were instructed to turn up 40 mins after flight landed, go to airline Cargo and pick up bill wayfare, then go to MAF and pay $35 then go to Customs with all paper work, out of hours this is on the mezanine floor of the international terminal and a short walk, (remember your passport or driving licence) fill in more forms and wait to see if a fee! go back to cargo pay a further $33 to airline and then wait for the beloved pet to be released
all in all on Saturday this whole process took 2 hours we finaly met our dog at 8am after him landing at 5.30am and al he wanted was to go for a walk no jet lag or anything!

Sounds like my experience!! Only I got lost several times on my way to the cargo pickup. Then I threatened to cry after I thought they were sending me to the terminal again!
Oh and then they offered me 2 different dogs rather than mine!
Finally after all this, I had a 5 and half hour drive back to Napier, as they wouldn't fly the bulldog any further than Auckland because of fears of her breathing... but she was fine
Old Sep 6th 2010, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

Hi we brought our two at a cost of £3500 with Golden Arrow and picked them up with not too much hassel from the airport.

If your animals are 'de-sexed' as they like to say here, bring a letter from your vet to say that it has been done and it will cost you less each year to register them.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Foxesecho
Hi we brought our two at a cost of £3500 with Golden Arrow and picked them up with not too much hassel from the airport.

If your animals are 'de-sexed' as they like to say here, bring a letter from your vet to say that it has been done and it will cost you less each year to register them.
Or they could just have a wee look or feel - they're both boys and short-haired so it's pretty obvious that they're not packing any heat

Good tip though.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kezzar
Hi

Has anyone had experience taking their pet/pets with them to NZ for the UK?
How did they find this process? Was this pretty straight forward?

Any comments or advise on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Kezzar
Hi, were taking our Border collie with us when we fly over in Dec, weve just paid passport for pets 1500pounds for the flight and one nights borad at Heathrow, then its going to be another 500 for vets stuff. I'm terrified about the flight, Jacko is flying out a week later than us but I hate the thought of him being stuck in a box for 30hours!! Hopefully he will just sleep....

I spose 30hours for a lifetime of fun and frolicks on the beach is a small price to pay, Jacko flies Manc to heathrow then one night board, then heathrow to LA, LA to Auk, Auk to Welly. Poor boy

Luckily, i haven't heard any horror stories of dogs getting lost etc, all the experiences on here have been quite positive, I hope i have one more positive tale to tell when Jackos trip is over!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

forshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Shazmoo
Hi, were taking our Border collie with us when we fly over in Dec, weve just paid passport for pets 1500pounds for the flight and one nights borad at Heathrow, then its going to be another 500 for vets stuff. I'm terrified about the flight, Jacko is flying out a week later than us but I hate the thought of him being stuck in a box for 30hours!! Hopefully he will just sleep....

I spose 30hours for a lifetime of fun and frolicks on the beach is a small price to pay, Jacko flies Manc to heathrow then one night board, then heathrow to LA, LA to Auk, Auk to Welly. Poor boy

Luckily, i haven't heard any horror stories of dogs getting lost etc, all the experiences on here have been quite positive, I hope i have one more positive tale to tell when Jackos trip is over!
worth every penny! and we have even made really good friends on the beach due to our beautiful dalmatian
Old Sep 7th 2010, 7:22 am
Just Joined

cliffbarrimore is an unknown quantity at this point

Goodness, just had the first lot of tests done at the vet... just under £500 for my two dogs, same again on the 23rd, so I guess the same price!! slight shock, but who would want to re-home their pets, more to the point who would want two bonkers boxers
Old Sep 8th 2010, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mrs Pointer

I thought the requirement for them to stay in house quarantine had been lifted? Or has that changed again? I know it used to be 30 days but when I checked again it wasn't on the MAF website any more.

Oh god so true about the settling in bit - I am missing our Cav like mad right now - sitting here watching all the doggies walking past on the seafront and feeling very jealous. I may go out and cuddle this little Yorkie sitting next to me in a minute just to get some doggie affection! (there was a beautiful Collie pup on the beach earlier I had to scuttle over for a look and a hug ). Once she is here we will feel complete again - next Saturday whoop! We keep thinking we need to get home for the dog and then realising that she's not here yet

We are using Golden Arrow who have been amazing - hubby didn't realise that she needed to be wormed when her first set of tests were done (although I told him to get the vets to read the lettter about 5 times - men! ) and I took her in on our last day to have it done after a panicked consultation with them on the phone cost £75 just for the blinkin' letter! They were fab about the whole thing and very reassuring. We also have kenneled her with them because our friend who was looking after her had to travel on business and at literally a day's notice they came and collected her and are sorting out the rest of her testing stuff.

The others I tried were very good and nice but wouldn't let us kennel her for part of the time as they said they needed to do all the testing. Golden Arrow were so flexible.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

we did not have that problem with whitehouse kennels in WSM they took over half way through and it was fine they are used to doing that i could not recommend them enoug, outr total tests for 1 dog were 240 GBP
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

We're going with Golden Arrow. Yes I think they testing with them might be a bit more expensive than starting off with our vet, but I'll have enough on my mind by then. Just want an easy option.

And they need to be boarded for a fortnight and I thought that looked good. Moving them from Scotland is a bit more complicated and the costs vary. I don't want them to go on a flight from Glasgow to Heathrow - I'd rather drive them to England myself or have them picked up.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:34 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

We used Golden Arrow as well and they were magnificent!
I remember picking up Bob dog and the cats so well. DH and I ran from terminal to MAF to terminal etc - now I am incredibly unfit and usually I would have been moaning like hell! But I was so excited to see them I think I sort of flew!

Our poor cats had another 3 and a half hour journey home still in their crates, but Bob got a run on the beach. All of them were absolutely fine.

As for rentals - we were lucky - the people that had employed DH sorted out a lovely cottage for us that took us and the animals - if it's possible if you know someone that knows someone that would help a lot.

Some of the tests were done in the Uk by us and the vet, then I think it was a week GA needed them for and they built the crates for each animal and did the last lot of tests. Like has been said already its the timing of everything that's the important factor. Collecting poo from cats is a wee bit tricky!

I remember our vet being so impressed with the paperwork that came from GA - they had been in a bit of a state about it as had done it a few times before and said it was incredibly difficult with all the regulations, but ith the GA paperwork all set out it was easy.

Mrs Pointer - we did the same - we drove down from Scotland and the day we were leaving, with 2 cats, a big dog and a huge bag each with all our worldly posessions - to go to the other side of the world! What an adventure. GA is a little tricky to find, but once we got there it's in such a beautiful place and the staff there are very understanding of blubbering people.

Last edited by pixi-dust; Sep 8th 2010 at 7:36 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.