British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   taking tools to newzealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/taking-tools-newzealand-583657/)

paul2 Jan 12th 2009 3:10 pm

taking tools to newzealand

i have spoke to a few airfreight companies and i am not sure the situation on my batterys? i have nicads for my drills and jigsaws. spoke to a few companies and some say they will have to be packet in special container and others say aslong as there not in the drill and separate there ok? can anyone help?:confused:

Heal Jan 13th 2009 6:18 am

Re: taking tools to newzealand

I sent mine just with them all together in the boxes and there was no problem.Just make sure their clean and if any are new use them before sending them or you may have to pay duty on any new items.

harrogate girl Jan 13th 2009 8:05 am

Originally Posted by paul2 (Post 7156977)
i have spoke to a few airfreight companies and i am not sure the situation on my batterys? i have nicads for my drills and jigsaws. spoke to a few companies and some say they will have to be packet in special container and others say aslong as there not in the drill and separate there ok? can anyone help?:confused:

Hi my husband can help you as he is in construction and he will get back to you do you have any transformers that you may also be wanting to bring with you as its 240v.
By the way TV WILL WORK ON SKY and I have a friend his is working without sky...hope this will help
Lin

bjddavies Jan 13th 2009 9:50 am

Another point is to check that trade tools are covered by insurance. My movers had a specific insurance exemption for trade tools and they proceeded to steal them.

Justcol Jan 14th 2009 7:15 am

Just dont tell them they're nicad and pack em with everything else.
my cordless tools are they same, it didnt even enter my head that
the batteries would be a concern. it it obviously wasnt as maff opened the
box they were in to check on some camping gear and didnt even look at em.

P2L Jan 14th 2009 8:58 am

Originally Posted by paul2 (Post 7156977)

Evening Paul2

Am I correct in reading your post as you are sending your belongings by AIRFREIGHT instead of the usual sea route? :unsure:

paul2 Jan 14th 2009 9:44 am

hi yes there going on a plane?:huh:

rockape Jan 14th 2009 10:43 am

So is cheaper by airfrieght then ?????????????????????

Regards
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

paul2 Jan 14th 2009 1:54 pm

no its alot quicker, i need my tools as soon as possible. what im sending would be cheaper on the boat but takes 8-12 weeks to get there

BEVS Jan 14th 2009 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by rockape (Post 7166055)
So is cheaper by airfrieght then ?????????????????????

Regards
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

No it isn't cheaper. If you feel you will be needing trade tools to start work , do speak with your NZ employer . Often they can arrange for trade tools to be available whilst your own arrives.
My husband was here in NZ for a good two months before the container arrived. Both the employer and work mates were helpful with enough tools for him to work.

My husbands extensive trade tools came via sea freight in our container. That's power tools, recharge batteries and goodness knows what else by way of plumbing and general tools.

The amount of tools was questioned because himself has so many :lol: but there was no MAf inspecition and no problem importing the tools at all.

CarolineSwan Jan 15th 2009 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 7166909)
No it isn't cheaper. If you feel you will be needing trade tools to start work , do speak with your NZ employer . Often they can arrange for trade tools to be available whilst your own arrives.
My husband was here in NZ for a good two months before the container arrived. Both the employer and work mates were helpful with enough tools for him to work.

My husbands extensive trade tools came via sea freight in our container. That's power tools, recharge batteries and goodness knows what else by way of plumbing and general tools.

The amount of tools was questioned because himself has so many :lol: but there was no MAf inspecition and no problem importing the tools at all.

My husband bought a tool bag thing made from canvas and put what he could in it and just put it inside his suitcase with his xbox360 on other half wrapped in towels and it all came fine , just sent drills on in boxes but you could as bev says just borrow the most and bring just your general tools. my hubby also brough xbox and wii as well as 360 as he apparently couldnt live with out them lol in our cases..men lol

paul2 Jan 15th 2009 8:48 pm

ive gone with a company i have got 6 tea chest boxes, and golf club box( she wasent very amused about that) they said long as there separate from the drill its fine, got it for £520 airfreight dor to door:thumbsup:

CarolineSwan Jan 15th 2009 8:51 pm

thats great i think. dont talk to me about golf clubs lol hubby used one of my case allowance to bring his, though glad he did i suppose cos he has got to play in this lovely weather

paul2 Jan 15th 2009 8:55 pm

to right there inportant, do you love newzealand?

CarolineSwan Jan 15th 2009 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by paul2 (Post 7173885)
to right there inportant, do you love newzealand?

I absolutly love it and i cant imagine being anywhere else in the world, my best friend asked me yesterday what i missed about scotland i was like well friends and some family but i chat to them all the time.Apart from that river city lol and i can live with out that

caz