British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Taking teens from Scotland to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/taking-teens-scotland-nz-934134/)

HeatherGirl Aug 3rd 2020 11:00 am

Taking teens from Scotland to NZ

Hi everyone,

So we were just about to announce to our nearest and dearest that we are returning to NZ after 5 years back in UK, when Covid and lockdown hit. My daughters are 14 and just about to start S3 in Scotland, so 2 years away from sitting their National exams. We thought January 2021 would be a sensible time to go as they would start Year 11 in NZ and as far as I can see, this is when they start their work towards NCEA 1,

We don't think this timescale is realistic now but could I postpone for say, a year without mucking up their chances in the NZ education system?

In another related concern, I'm a bit worried about bullying now. I'm sensing some resentment in forums from people coming from overseas and this could of course be passed down to kids and manifest in bullying. This is something I never experienced first time round in Taranaki where the people were just golden as kiwis would say. I could handle negativity but I would be worried for the kids.

The positive is they've kept up with some lovely friends in NZ who wouldn't be in the same school but would at least be some connections when we go over.

Would like to hear from anyone in a similar situation or who knows a bit about how the secondary system works.
Thank you,

HeatherGirl

Genesis Aug 3rd 2020 11:19 pm

Re: Taking teens from Scotland to NZ

Originally Posted by HeatherGirl (Post 12891499)
Hi everyone,

So we were just about to announce to our nearest and dearest that we are returning to NZ after 5 years back in UK, when Covid and lockdown hit. My daughters are 14 and just about to start S3 in Scotland, so 2 years away from sitting their National exams. We thought January 2021 would be a sensible time to go as they would start Year 11 in NZ and as far as I can see, this is when they start their work towards NCEA 1,

We don't think this timescale is realistic now but could I postpone for say, a year without mucking up their chances in the NZ education system?

In another related concern, I'm a bit worried about bullying now. I'm sensing some resentment in forums from people coming from overseas and this could of course be passed down to kids and manifest in bullying. This is something I never experienced first time round in Taranaki where the people were just golden as kiwis would say. I could handle negativity but I would be worried for the kids.

The positive is they've kept up with some lovely friends in NZ who wouldn't be in the same school but would at least be some connections when we go over.

Would like to hear from anyone in a similar situation or who knows a bit about how the secondary system works.
Thank you,

HeatherGirl

Hi, all I can tell you is that bullying is a huge issue in NZ. Been here 15 years, previously spent 45 in the U.K. Bullying was not as wide spread in the U.K. IMHO. Here it seems to be prevalent in many workplaces. The police, education, parliament, hospitals and in the general work place too.

I have worked in four work places and there was systematic bullying in all of them. I now choose not to work for this reason. My son was bullied at two junior schools.

Of course I am sure there are some wonderfully cohesive places of work in NZ.

There are many positive points about NZ, otherwise I would not be here! But the above is my honest and open take on things bullying plus my personal experiences in the matter plus all that I have read and seen in various news outlets AND what others have told me...many others. Sad innit?

Would it put me off coming to NZ? No. Because life is far from perfect wherever you go and you just have to deal with it and of course there is no guarantee you will suffer from it.

The roads are murderous too....like really bad, but it does not stop me driving.

Justcol Aug 3rd 2020 11:58 pm

12 years here now and never been bullied.
I've known a couple but chose to tell one to get f##ked and ignored the other. If you want to be a victim it'll effect you, if you don't, it won't. My ex-wife complained about it when we first came over, but the truth was more to do with her ineptitude than anything else.
My boys were 14 and 17 on arrival. 17 got into a UK based uni on his UK education. His nz credits were almost pointless and the uni practically discounted them as worthless. 14 did ok and returned to UK for uni. Neither were bullied, both made some very good friends. 17 initially struggled in NZ as curriculum and school was by and large completely alien. He went from selective Grammer school and top 5% in UK to chasing his tail and playing catch up in subjects he had no interest in, in NZ. If I was doing it again I'd wait until they had finished college and were ready for uni entry.

HeatherGirl Aug 4th 2020 6:57 am

Thanks both.

​​​Interesting you should say that about workplace bullying as my best friend in NZ left her work because of it.

The driving? I preferred the roads in NZ, though not the drivers but then I have to deal with probably the worst road in Britain up here in the sticks!!