Reload this Page >

Taking a Road Bike to NZ from UK

Taking a Road Bike to NZ from UK

Old Aug 6th 2017, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Taking a Road Bike to NZ from UK

Hi there,

I did post a question about this a little while ago but still working out what's the best thing to do.

I am coming out to New Zealand to work in approx 5 weeks.
I have a road bike which I am debating about bringing. I was advised I would need to transport my bike in a bike bag. I have looked at the prices of these bike bags and they seem to be around averaging £300. This seems expensive to me and makes me wonder if it might be better financially to just get a bike when I'm out there. Is there a cheaper but secure way of transporting your bike? Obviously you must take the bike apart?
If moving to New Zealand do airlines allow you to take more luggage than a person just going on holiday?

Thanks!
Old Aug 7th 2017, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking a Road Bike to NZ from UK

Nah that's rubbish, but I suppose it all depends how you intend to transport it.....
(a) In a container
(b) Air freight
(c) With you on the flight as checked in baggage.

I only have experience of (1) and all I did was take off the pedals, turn the handlebars 90 degrees and obviously cleaned to within an inch of its life. Don't forget the area underneath the seat and the pedal crank....all the places you don't normally see when it's the right side up.
An option for packaging is to go along to a bike store and ask if they'll let you have a bike box as they usually just chuck them in the skip when a new bike is delivered. They can only say no or ask for a contribution.
I simply wrapped all our bikes up using an individual removals company blanket secured with packaging tape.
In all honesty I don't feel bikes are overly expensive here and there are many deals to be had on new bikes that are maybe last years models as they need the room for the latest specs coming in.
Have a look at www.bikebarn.co.nz or www.evolutioncycles.co.nz or www.avantiplus.co.nz etc. There are many 50-60% off deals to be had. If new isn't your thing there is a big used market for bikes - have a look on www.trademe.co.nz

My UK riding was majority on a road bike, however since coming here it all changed for me....unsure whether it was the Wellington hills and the opportunity for offroad adventure, the weather (when I say weather I mean the wind) or the fact I just didn't feel safe on the roadside due to the insane Kiwi drivers but for the last 4 years I've been all MTB and try to keep off the road as much as possible. Just feel a lot safer being on a much beefier bike. The road bike I have is just collecting dust in the shed.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Check with airline re: policy on bikes, they certainly vary, and do also take a copy of their policy as often the airline's staff on the ground don't know what it is. I have taken a bike as checked in baggage on a few airlines in Europe and also UK to Central America via the States a couple of times - avoid that way out to NZ via US if at all possible!

I've traveled with it, just pedals removed and handlebars turned and bubble wrap around the delicate parts, and also same and put put in a cardboard bike box.

A bike case is unlikely to be a requirement, a cardboard bike box should suffice, and your local bike should have some old ones going spare, as that's how they arrive to them!

Back to airlines policy, also varies on the $charge and it's usually that cost plus it counting as part of your normal baggage allowance

And as regards bikes out here, I'd say it's worth the effort bringing your own bike out, rather than purchasing. 50% off deals are because they're overpriced in the first place, and I suspect you'll get better value in the UK. If taking the bike apart to box it is concerning, get the local bike to do that for you after cleaning it - it'll need to be clean to get through NZ customs I'm sure.

Last edited by chocolate cake; Aug 7th 2017 at 9:43 am.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

CatLady1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys for your help.

I would be wanting to take my bike as checked-in luggage.
I will do as you advise then and check with airline. But I don't spose you know but to hazard a guess what is the approximate amount it would likely cost if I took my bike as extra (on top of my allowance)?
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CatLady1234
Thanks guys for your help.

I would be wanting to take my bike as checked-in luggage.
I will do as you advise then and check with airline. But I don't spose you know but to hazard a guess what is the approximate amount it would likely cost if I took my bike as extra (on top of my allowance)?
Airline dependent. You will be charged a lower fee if you arrange it as extra baggage before you fly - maybe $50 per kg.
It'll be specified in the airlines t's & c's on their website.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Most airlines seem to be $50-85 USD per kg. Guessing the bike would be up to 15kg? That's a lot of money.

As I posted in the other thread, could be worth flying Air NZ via the US when it will cost £90 for an extra bag of 23kg or £200 for 2 extra bags. That would give you a total of 69kg
Old Aug 9th 2017, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

If flying I highly advise getting a bike bag. Boxes are risky and don't give it full protection! Bike bags are built for this purpose. I will note that I don't know a lot about road bikes, it was a DH bike my partner flew over with. The bags are a worthwhile investment. Shipping we used boxes though. I guess a lot also depends on what the bike is valued at too
Old Aug 9th 2017, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Most airlines seem to be $50-85 USD per kg. Guessing the bike would be up to 15kg? That's a lot of money.

As I posted in the other thread, could be worth flying Air NZ via the US when it will cost £90 for an extra bag of 23kg or £200 for 2 extra bags. That would give you a total of 69kg
good point re via the US as dont think extra bags can be purchased on an economy code share going east from UK booking with Air Nz has to be Air NZ all the way. Plus unlike Emirates as an example where the 30 kg can be more than one bag to total the 30kg. Air Nz is believe literally 23 kg per bag so if a bike is 15 kg in a bike box or bike bag with room for bike only no way to use the remaining 8 kg to top up the other bag to 23+8 if that makes sense. But guess still cheaper than the rip off per kg charges of other airlines even though they generally have 30kg as the start point for excess.

Last edited by PB65; Aug 9th 2017 at 11:33 am.