Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taking pets with you

Taking pets with you

Old Jan 12th 2008, 1:56 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
alya's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 61
alya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant future
Default Taking pets with you

anyone done this - we have 3 cats and i would not want to leave them behind - not really keen on them being cooped up on a plane for 20 odd hours - could they be shipped - what would happen about feeding etc etc ? is this even possible ?
alya is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:11 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 72
fitzandindiana is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Taking pets with you

I would be really interest to here peoples views on this too as we have two cats who are ages 6 and 10 and not sure if the older one would be impressed with the long journey either, she can't really handle a ten minute car visit to the vets!
fitzandindiana is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:51 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Whangarei - New Zealand
Posts: 53
DTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really nice
Default Re: Taking pets with you

I am shipping 2 cats in about six weeks time. After doing research on practically all the animal shippers, I have settled with Golden Arrow, who will do most of the medical checks and board them for three days, before flying them to us.......without having the stress of taking them to the airport and all the paperwork that it entails. They will also for an extra fee collect them from our home.

The crate they are sealed in have a water font, but they do not leave food, due to safety and soiling. But I can imagine they wouldn't want any food as it may be a little distressing.......I am a bit of a coward and what I don't see will not upset me......but I have been re-assured by everyone they WILL be OK.

Good Luck!
DTHarrop is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:36 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton NZ
Posts: 27
Cram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant futureCram has a brilliant future
Default Re: Taking pets with you

Originally Posted by DTHarrop View Post
I am shipping 2 cats in about six weeks time. After doing research on practically all the animal shippers, I have settled with Golden Arrow, who will do most of the medical checks and board them for three days, before flying them to us.......without having the stress of taking them to the airport and all the paperwork that it entails. They will also for an extra fee collect them from our home.

The crate they are sealed in have a water font, but they do not leave food, due to safety and soiling. But I can imagine they wouldn't want any food as it may be a little distressing.......I am a bit of a coward and what I don't see will not upset me......but I have been re-assured by everyone they WILL be OK.

Good Luck!
i shipped a medium sized dog and cat here late november using Golden Arrow and found them very good, it cost me just over £2500 that was with them doing all of the tests for me and 27 days extra boarding both arrived in great condition if i had to do it again i would use Golden Arrow again.

As DTHarrop said they don't get food on the day of flying but they have water.

Telephone number is 01588 680240 based in shropshire if you give them a call they will send you all the information you need along with a quote
Cram is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:28 pm
  #5  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,475
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking pets with you

Our two cats emigrated with us . They were around 9 and 7 yrs old at the time.
We used Airpets who made the whole process easy. They will be happy to send you an information pack.

The cats flew into Auckland and were then put on an internal flight down to Nelson. Both cats breezed the whole experience and were bright as day when offloaded at Nelson Airport .
One of the cats, a siamese cross, hates a cat box and any vehicle journey but thought nothing of becoming a globe trotter.
My view is that they virtually slept the whole way through utter boredom. They are given water but no food.

We kept them indoors for a month after their arrival [ per requirements] and they were just fine from the word go.

Now they have a really wonderful life roaming next doors field or snoozing on the deck in the sun. No more busy roads and hemmed in lifestyle for them.
BEVS is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:34 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
alya's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 61
alya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant futurealya has a brilliant future
Default Re: Taking pets with you

Thanks for the replies - i brought a mag today too and some of the companies you mentioned are advertised.

I have a 10 year old cat and two 11 year olds. Hubby says we should leave them here but i couldnt face that. Altho the olderst is very anti travel and poops within 5 minutes of being in the car! Not sure how 25 hours on a plane will be recieved - i dread the call that they didnt survive the flight!
alya is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:51 pm
  #7  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,475
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking pets with you

It is highly unlikely that either one of them would pop their clogs. Thousands upon thousands of animals are flown around the world all the time.
BEVS is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:54 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
garryhg's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Cockle Bay, NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 1,007
garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Taking pets with you

Originally Posted by alya View Post
Thanks for the replies - i brought a mag today too and some of the companies you mentioned are advertised.

I have a 10 year old cat and two 11 year olds. Hubby says we should leave them here but i couldnt face that. Altho the olderst is very anti travel and poops within 5 minutes of being in the car! Not sure how 25 hours on a plane will be recieved - i dread the call that they didnt survive the flight!
we shipped our dog here last july and he travelled well...he's an 11 year old mongrel that we rescued 10 years ago......we collected him off his flight the same day he arrived and he looked no worse for the wear,in total it cost us about 3,500 pounds that includes the vet fees....wouldn't even have considered leaving him,our family feels complete with him here....good luck with your plans....jacky...
garryhg is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2008, 9:29 pm
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Waitakere City
Posts: 539
dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Taking pets with you

You can ask for the crates in advance and have them in the house for the cats to get used to if you wish. Then the crates would smell of home and maybe they'll even start to sleep in them.

I had a double crate made up for my two ginger cats who are very reliant on each other. One crate with a mesh divider between to keep the cats apart, but they still have each other in sight..

You may wish to investigate getting a Feliway spray - it's a herbal spray that is supposed to make the cats feel calm when they smell it.
dlmckay is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:47 pm
  #10  
Stoke City fanatic
 
nelsonpom's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: nelson no more :-(
Posts: 693
nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking pets with you

Originally Posted by alya View Post
anyone done this - we have 3 cats and i would not want to leave them behind - not really keen on them being cooped up on a plane for 20 odd hours - could they be shipped - what would happen about feeding etc etc ? is this even possible ?
We took both our two with a company called jets 4 pets cost about 1300 pounds in total but vet fees were extra. We also packed them in crate together so they could see each other, they don't really get on but I think were reassured to see each other. You could put some rescue remedy or bach flower remedy in their water or on their fur to help calm them.
Since we arrived in NZ our cats love all the extra space they have and one in particular has almost had a personality transplant into the softess moggy possible. This is their contact details.
Jets4Pets
KMH House
Market Square
Yeadon
Leeds
West Yorkshire
LS19 7PP

Tel : 0845 408 0298
Fax: 0845 408 0658

Good luck
Darren
nelsonpom is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2008, 11:48 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Woburn, Wellington
Posts: 753
teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taking pets with you

Originally Posted by alya View Post
anyone done this - we have 3 cats and i would not want to leave them behind - not really keen on them being cooped up on a plane for 20 odd hours - could they be shipped - what would happen about feeding etc etc ? is this even possible ?
Hi we used a great company in Herefordshire called Golden Arrow and they were superb. Took our 13.5 year old elderly gent of a dog to them and they showed us all around the place and talked us through what type of container they build etc.
Felt very comfortable to leave him boarded there for a few weeks prior to the shipping and they then drove him to Heathrow and sorted everything out. The couple who own and run it seem really interested in the whole process and the pets involved and had plenty of stories to tell about all sorts of pets they had shipped and people they had kept in touch with.

Total fees including vets was about £2200 (mid sized dog) from memory and we'd fully recommend them to anyone. I'm sure they do cats as well and looking at where you are its not to far to them.

Most of the shippers we spoke to for our household stuff would only recommend two pet shipping companies....

Golden Arrow and Airpets

Last edited by teambwr47; Jan 12th 2008 at 11:52 pm.
teambwr47 is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:38 am
  #12  
 
Am Loolah's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 7,208
Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking pets with you

Originally Posted by niseysOH View Post
Hi we used a great company in Herefordshire called Golden Arrow and they were superb. Took our 13.5 year old elderly gent of a dog to them and they showed us all around the place and talked us through what type of container they build etc.
Felt very comfortable to leave him boarded there for a few weeks prior to the shipping and they then drove him to Heathrow and sorted everything out. The couple who own and run it seem really interested in the whole process and the pets involved and had plenty of stories to tell about all sorts of pets they had shipped and people they had kept in touch with.

Total fees including vets was about £2200 (mid sized dog) from memory and we'd fully recommend them to anyone. I'm sure they do cats as well and looking at where you are its not to far to them.

Most of the shippers we spoke to for our household stuff would only recommend two pet shipping companies....

Golden Arrow and Airpets
We brought over 2 dobermans with Airpets. Excellent service and they arrived absolutely fine. What I really liked about them (which wasn't the cost - should have had chihauhas (sp?!)) was I only ever dealt with the one person from start to finish, which makes life so much easier and means that you build a rapport with that person and feel they understand your wants and the animals needs! Literally from email enquiry to handing them over at Heathrow, also had supportive calls re: vets requirements etc all along the way was the same woman. Thoroughly recommend!
Am Loolah is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:44 am
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Woburn, Wellington
Posts: 753
teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taking pets with you

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post
We brought over 2 dobermans with Airpets. Excellent service and they arrived absolutely fine. What I really liked about them (which wasn't the cost - should have had chihauhas (sp?!)) was I only ever dealt with the one person from start to finish, which makes life so much easier and means that you build a rapport with that person and feel they understand your wants and the animals needs! Literally from email enquiry to handing them over at Heathrow, also had supportive calls re: vets requirements etc all along the way was the same woman. Thoroughly recommend!
Yep similar experience for us......... both companies seem to have very good standards and recommendations. As said above when i enquired of companies like Crown who they would recommend they said they couldn't endorse anyone as it was not their actual area of business etc etc 'but these two are the best'........ Golden Arrow and Airpets were the two.
teambwr47 is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2008, 8:41 am
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
spackster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Even further up the Hutt
Posts: 443
spackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud of
Default Re: Taking pets with you

We brought a dog and two cats over in feb 07, absolutly no problems. Dog was fine, just the same as if he'd been on a twenty minute car journey. One of our cats in Diabetic, and both were 9 at time of move, both arrived safe and sound if not a bit sleepy. Oscar (the diabetic bar cat ) was fine, he was allowed dry food in his box for health reasons, all animals were crated so they could see each other all the time.
We used airpets, very competitive pricing and great help and advice for free for dealing with all tests and stuff yourself.
spackster is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:46 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Christchurch, NZ
Posts: 97
EmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really niceEmandKen is just really nice
Default Re: Taking pets with you

Does anyone know if you can transport cats out of Manchester or Newcastle airports or does it have to be London?
EmandKen is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.