Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taking the NZ driving test!

Taking the NZ driving test!

Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all
Default Taking the NZ driving test!

Hey Guys

Has anyone on here taken the NZ driving test, I think you have to do it after 1 year in the country.

I passed the medical to get the residence visa, I dont know how as I've got a dodgy eye (even with a contact lense), I think the nurse took a shine to me and just signed the forms ( i should be so lucky!!!)
I'm a bit worried about re-taking a driving test with an eyesight test as you can imagine, has anyone got any info on this?

Cheers Jads
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taking the NZ driving test!

You don't do an actual driving test if you hold a current license, it's a theory test. PM Poppets - she has just done hers and will tell you more.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnaf
You don't do an actual driving test if you hold a current license, it's a theory test. PM Poppets - she has just done hers and will tell you more.
yep its a simple multi choice theory test, (35 questions, scratch off answers so you know instantly if you're right or wrong)

they do test your eyes at the testing centre (i did mine at the AA) , but i think that if your eyesight is poor then you can have them tested at an optician too. considering most of the old folk here drive & can't tell the difference between a brake & an alcelerator, never mind what they can & can't see, you maybe ok
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:38 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Yeah, get a copy of the New Zealand road code. There are a few quaint laws here that you'd not probably be aware of. The give way one can be a bit tricky as well as the towing stuff. Thirty five questions and you can only miss up to three or, sorry, you'll have to do it again at a later date. The BP stations also sell five different practice tests at a few dollars a piece. The theory test may need to be booked ahead -- depends which AA office and how busy they are. The cost of the test if I remember correctly is NZ$84.00.
Old May 1st 2007, 12:34 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy peasy - read the road code for the questions on restricted licences, towing lengths etc then do the multi-choice test. They eve test is basic - read some letters and tell them what side a light shines from (peripheral vision presumably)
Old May 1st 2007, 12:47 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by RobClubley
It's easy peasy - read the road code for the questions on restricted licences, towing lengths etc then do the multi-choice test. They eve test is basic - read some letters and tell them what side a light shines from (peripheral vision presumably)
I got 34/35. I was so focused on that silly give way to the right law I didn't see the little green left turn arrow at the top left of the picture.
Old May 1st 2007, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
It must be easy peasy.... I'm blonde and I got 100% right!

Just had to beat OH who got one wrong!
Old May 1st 2007, 5:13 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

I did mine after being here 14 months (I forgot ) but still just did the multi choice & eye test. Get the NZ road code book they have all the test questions in the back.I got 34/35, missed the one about the red light on the back of a car when it's being towed. I knew you had to have a red light when towing a trailer, but hesitsted when they mentioned a car & put hazard warning lights instead. It only takes about 5 - 10 mins to complete the multi choice , it's easy.
Old May 1st 2007, 8:22 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Part of your eyesight test, you have to look into this thing with all these lights blinking and tell them which side of the screen you saw the little light. I was rubbish at it and kept getting it wrong but I still passed
Old May 1st 2007, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Practice high speed manoeuvres in car parks, and see if you can get your front bumper within 2cm of the person in front's rear bumper at 120kph in an urban area, get that right and you should pass with flying colours ...

To qualify for the advanced license (which grants legal immunity to manslaughter and a reduced jail term for premed murder) you need to perfect the "pulling out in front of oncoming traffic to the sound of squeeling tyres" manoeuvre - beware though - requires expertise, and a ute...
Old May 2nd 2007, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jads
Hey Guys

Has anyone on here taken the NZ driving test, I think you have to do it after 1 year in the country.

I passed the medical to get the residence visa, I dont know how as I've got a dodgy eye (even with a contact lense), I think the nurse took a shine to me and just signed the forms ( i should be so lucky!!!)
I'm a bit worried about re-taking a driving test with an eyesight test as you can imagine, has anyone got any info on this?

Cheers Jads
You mean that there is a driving test in Kywy land?

Burt
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

I will have to practice driving like a lunatic, buy a eut and I'II fit in nicely!!!!!
No one will notice I have a dodgy eye!!!

Jads
Old May 2nd 2007, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by happynz
I got 34/35. I was so focused on that silly give way to the right law I didn't see the little green left turn arrow at the top left of the picture.
can someone explain this to me in lehmans terms
i am going in 3 weeks so dont wanna get it wrong
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jads
I will have to practice driving like a lunatic, buy a eut and I'II fit in nicely!!!!!
No one will notice I have a dodgy eye!!!

Jads
To totally fit in you will have to have a half starved skanky looking dog tied up with an old piece of rope in the back of the ute, wear a check shirt, stink of BO, not indicate at ANY time and on a dual carriage way stradle both lanes and drive at 40Kph so no one can pass you.

Good on yer mate, sweet as!

Burt
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry...forgot to say...."She'll be right!"

Burt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.