Reload this Page >

Taking my dog to NZ

Taking my dog to NZ

Old Aug 21st 2014, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Elms96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking my dog to NZ

Hi

In my stupidity I didn't realize my dog hadn't had a rabies jab before. She has now had this but I see that I have to wait 180 days before we can get her over with us. Has anyone else encountered this since 2012 and is this timeline set in stone?

Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:07 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking my dog to NZ

I believe it is "set in stone" but you would be best speaking to your carrier
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

It is set in stone. We had to leave our cat with my in-laws as we also missed the deadline which would have allowed him to fly with us.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

smileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nice

Yes, it is set in stone.

We used Golden Arrow Shippers to bring our 2 Springer Spaniels from UK to Auckland - collected them on Monday from Quarantine

In our case, we had quite short notice of our move - husband's job offer October 2013 - Visas applied for immediately and approved just before Christmas and he started his job at the end of January 2014. So, we decided early on that I would stay in UK until the dogs were ready to go - to be fair, I was also working in a school so it seemed to fit quite nicely that I would stay in UK until the school end of Term in the summer too.

Can't recommend Golden Arrow highly enough, and QPS in Auckland for quarantine too - our spaniels seem to have fared very well in the experience.

Good luck with your move.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, set in stone.

We had our labs rabies vaccination done at the start of June and has worked out that she now flys the day before me.

We are going through PetAir UK, been very helpful so far
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Elms96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all. Not great but nothing I can do about it. So will look forward to her joining us in February
Old Aug 26th 2014, 12:38 am
Just Joined

bramble22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nikkijane88
Yes, set in stone.

We had our labs rabies vaccination done at the start of June and has worked out that she now flys the day before me.

We are going through PetAir UK, been very helpful so far
Have you picked the Gold or Silver plan with PetAir?

I have just had my quote but our vet is happy to do all the tests etc.

Originally Posted by smileypigface
Yes, it is set in stone.

We used Golden Arrow Shippers to bring our 2 Springer Spaniels from UK to Auckland - collected them on Monday from Quarantine

In our case, we had quite short notice of our move - husband's job offer October 2013 - Visas applied for immediately and approved just before Christmas and he started his job at the end of January 2014. So, we decided early on that I would stay in UK until the dogs were ready to go - to be fair, I was also working in a school so it seemed to fit quite nicely that I would stay in UK until the school end of Term in the summer too.

Can't recommend Golden Arrow highly enough, and QPS in Auckland for quarantine too - our spaniels seem to have fared very well in the experience.

Good luck with your move.
Hi there

Can you please provide me with the details for the QPS as I need to look into this for January 2015. Did you see them in person as I will be over in Auckland before the dogs and want to see the places 1st.

Thanks

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 26th 2014 at 12:57 am.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 12:43 am
Just Joined

bramble22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elms96
Hi

In my stupidity I didn't realize my dog hadn't had a rabies jab before. She has now had this but I see that I have to wait 180 days before we can get her over with us. Has anyone else encountered this since 2012 and is this timeline set in stone?

Thanks
We had the same issue I went to our vet as soon as I was offered the NZ job but he never mentioned the 6 months....now my hubby is having to stay back until January with the dogs and I start my job in September.

Never mind I am sure it will work out better as I will be able to get a feel for things 1st giving us a better view of what to bring etc.

Good luck hope your dog gets to NZ ok
Old Aug 26th 2014, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

smileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nicesmileypigface is just really nice

Welcome to Qualified Pet Services

As my husband was in NZ before me (and the dogs) he was able to go along and visit QPS beforehand - he was also able to drop off a 'welcome pack' for our dogs (a blanket smelling of us for each dog, a couple of their favourite toys and our Ruby's medication that he had arranged with our new NZ vet after they liaised with our old UK vet by e-mail).

Details of visiting the kennels are on the website (see link) - you have to make an appointment and take ID because of the Government regulations governing quarantine.

Just one quick thing to mention bramble22 - I notice you mention dogs, in the plural. When my husband registered our dogs (compulsory) he discovered that in some areas you can only have 1 dog without special arrangements being in place - luckily for us we are allowed 2 dogs in Devonport - but no more than 2. Just something to check out if you weren't already aware.

Good luck with your move x
Old Aug 27th 2014, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

Bramble22

We went with the Gold. We have enough to plan and sort without me making any mistakes with paperwork. Definitely a personal preference though, I just prefer that Pet Air UK are liasing with the vet directly to ensure everything goes smoothly. Plus they are collecting Dulcie from the Highlands to take her to Heathrow. Other half leaves next week so it's up to me to ensure the pooch is ready to depart in December.
Old Sep 5th 2014, 11:10 am
Just Joined

sandj is an unknown quantity at this point

Smileypigface, could you possibly tell me how much it cost with golden arrow? we have 2 cocker spaniels and i'm just trying to get an idea as to how much it would cost to take them with us? Thanks
Old Sep 7th 2014, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Hi Sandj

Overall we paid around £400 (GBP) to our own vet for the stuff they did (Rabies jabs and testing and penultimate blood tests) and about £4,200 (GBP) to Golden Arrow who did everything else on the UK side. We also paid $2,715.61 (NZD) to the quarantine kennels on arrival in NZ - this covered kennelling, transport, MPI Airport Document Inspection, clearing customs, Airport Document charge and MPI Vet Inspection Visits.

So, in total about £6,000 (GBP) for two springers to move from UK to NZ .. eeek!

Luckily, for us this was the only cost we had to bear of our move to NZ as my husband's company covered everything else - I realise we have been very lucky in this respect.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

MrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of light
Angry Re: Taking my dog to NZ

I'm In a pickle about rabies vaccine requirements. I thought I had it straight but maybe not. My dogs were vaccinated in July ready for a January shipment. However, they did not pass the blood titre test and had to be re-vaccinated. We doubled up the vaccine dose as recommended, 2 weeks apart and they passed on repeat blood test ! I've been confused by DEFRA. They've said we cannot ship until April, not February as the Primary vaccine didn't count as they failed the blood test. MAPS say February date is ok.Anyone have similar problems ???
Old Jan 17th 2015, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Are the company you are using for sending your dog not advising on this? We used petair who dealt with everything. Fortunately we had no issues with rabies but the test in respect of lepto came back and we had to do 2 weeks of antibiotics finishing the day our dog was picked up for leaving.
Old Jan 17th 2015, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

MrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of lightMrsEeyore is a glorious beacon of light

Hi nikkijane, no no info really from the shippers, just told me to clarify AGAIN with NZ. The weekend, time difference etc etc it's getting me annoyed. Our dogs too are going to take antibiotics for lepto .We've got our flights booked in two weeks, thinking doggies would only be in kennels a month! I really hope Defra are mixed up, I forwarded the email to my shippers from MAPS.Want to cry ...or drink

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.