Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Taking my car...??

Taking my car...??

Old Apr 25th 2006, 2:40 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all
Default Taking my car...??

Hello - any advice on whether it's worth taking my car (Jag X-type estate) (which I'm somewhat attached to, sadly!). It also runs on diesel (model not available in NZ)

Thanks!
Old Apr 25th 2006, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taking my car...??

Originally Posted by sniffydog
Hello - any advice on whether it's worth taking my car (Jag X-type estate) (which I'm somewhat attached to, sadly!). It also runs on diesel (model not available in NZ)

Thanks!
It will be expensive and support can be an issue..maybe get advise from Jaguar in New Zealand, see if they have a website something like jaguar.co.nz or search for them on google....

Personally i would have thought it would be more trouble than its worth, but then again i dont own a nice car like that...
Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Radio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura aboutRadio Ham has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by newkiwi
It will be expensive and support can be an issue..maybe get advise from Jaguar in New Zealand, see if they have a website something like jaguar.co.nz or search for them on google....

Personally i would have thought it would be more trouble than its worth, but then again i dont own a nice car like that...
I looked at taking my Merc ML430 and ditched the idea on cost and support grounds. You'll need a Subaru in NZ anyway....
Old Apr 28th 2006, 7:03 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Radio Ham
I looked at taking my Merc ML430 and ditched the idea on cost and support grounds. You'll need a Subaru in NZ anyway....
Jaguar NZ say no problem - but i'm still not sure given that no diesel model in NZ. Is 4wd the way forward then.... Is it worth buying now one year before in the uk and exporting...?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

We decided to sell our car and buy a second hand one in NZ.

We looked at the cost of shipping and getting it cleaned properly for customs, together with having to get it properly registered in NZ, and it looked much cheaper to buy a car in NZ. If you buy a Japanese car then there are some v good deals to be had. I'd go through a proper dealer though rather than TradeMe!!
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:32 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Know where you are coming from mate - decided in the end to sell in the UK and put the premium over a normal toyota camry into a better house.

Friends who have brought across cars not locally available have all claimed its not worth it and would not do it again.

As someone else has mentioned - check with Jag NZ - from there response you may find the additional hassle, the costs, are worth the trade off for the pleasure and heart emotions. There is no manufacturing done in NZ so all cars are imported.

Kiwi (in Melbourne)
Old Apr 29th 2006, 12:38 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Jaguar NZ say no problem - but i'm still not sure given that no diesel model in NZ. Is 4wd the way forward then.... Is it worth buying now one year before in the uk and exporting...?

4wd is worth it if... you go skiing a lot in winter, you go 4wd driving a lot, you intend to get off the main roads and discover the back country, you like hiking or mountain biking or camping and enjoy getting out to the back of beyond. Or if you decide it is a status symbol (this is weird, I don't understand this at all).

4wd is not worth it if... you live in suburbia, you don't even know what 4wd is for, you hate paying the fuel bills (which go up every week), you use it as a very expensive chaffeur service/grocery trolley etc.

IMHO it is absolutely not worth buying a vehicle in the UK with the idea of exporting it to NZ. As if there aren't enough hassles involved in immigrating. :scared:
Old Oct 24th 2006, 5:59 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Taking my car...??

I also have a Jaguar X-type Diesel. Jaguar NZ said if I imported it there would be no problem servicing it, but diesel parts may take 5 days to import from UK.

(However I'm not going to NZ any more..... )

Buzzy
Old Oct 24th 2006, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I also have a Jaguar X-type Diesel. Jaguar NZ said if I imported it there would be no problem servicing it, but diesel parts may take 5 days to import from UK.

(However I'm not going to NZ any more..... )

Buzzy
i am shipping my vw beetle convertible lhd, i would say it is not worth the trouble unless you are emotionally attached to the car. you can get a lotta jap car in kiwiland for your $$, but can you face never seeing your car again from uk ?
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:13 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

They would say no problem - but all your parts are likely to be imported at a premium. More chance of difficulty getting a decent mechanic who has worked on your model - would not personally wish to be the ginea pig.

It just does not make financial sense to take a car. We considered our X5 and so glad we didnt the prices have dropped so much in the last 18 months we could now by the same model (2 years younger) for A$20K less than the imported cost.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:48 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thebears
They would say no problem - but all your parts are likely to be imported at a premium. More chance of difficulty getting a decent mechanic who has worked on your model - would not personally wish to be the ginea pig.

It just does not make financial sense to take a car. We considered our X5 and so glad we didnt the prices have dropped so much in the last 18 months we could now by the same model (2 years younger) for A$20K less than the imported cost.
What about my red Ferrari Testarossa, it's 4x6"s made by Dinky? Personal number plate; "Love It?" How will that go down in the Mount?!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:50 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
What about my red Ferrari Testarossa, it's 4x6"s made by Dinky? Personal number plate; "Love It?" How will that go down in the Mount?!
Sit quite nicely next to my brothers old ute Always room for a sports car - they bring a smile to even those not driving or riding
Old Oct 24th 2006, 9:53 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thebears
Sit quite nicely next to my brothers old ute Always room for a sports car - they bring a smile to even those not driving or riding
Have PM'd you - hope you don't mind!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 10:09 pm
Melbourne Australia

Have PM'd you - hope you don't mind!
No worries - going off to work now but will get back later tonight
Old Oct 25th 2006, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Hey on the personal plates side...have all you guys thought about what you want on your no. plates???
Personal plates over here have almost no restrictions and you can have just about anything with up to 6 digits, no age restictions etc like in UK.
What are ya gonna have???? What have ya got????
Hubby used to have BECKM 7 with the caption "England captain" but got disullionsed after the world cup and sold it !!!!!

Cars to bring them over unless it really is a red fast limited edition it really really isn't worth it. So much affordable choice!!!

Ok so I just read the other thread about NO. plates and see you are already talking about this....I probably should point out my personal plate is "divert" with the caption "dangerous Blond" underneath....(hubby thought it was funny!!!) It suits!!!!

Last edited by jueinnz; Oct 25th 2006 at 2:57 am.