Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

taking moggie to NZ

taking moggie to NZ

Old Apr 8th 2008, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Cyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: taking moggie to NZ

Originally Posted by jill stanton
Hi

We have only just started the immigration process, so it will be awhile. so i think that may be you will be getting there before us. We may have to rent out your shed lol
That's fine Jill - one more moggie won't make any difference to us!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

macslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nicemacslass is just really nice

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Cats are cheaper than dogs - we paid GPB 1400 to fly our two including 3 weeks' board.
They love it here!
Hi Who did you use to fly your babies over? Were they OK?

Not sure if we should bring ours as they are old (about 14ish I reckon) but I don't know who would take them on it I leave them.

Ta
Jo
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:30 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macslass
Hi Who did you use to fly your babies over? Were they OK?

Not sure if we should bring ours as they are old (about 14ish I reckon) but I don't know who would take them on it I leave them.

Ta
Jo
We used Golden Arrow and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Great service, very friendly and the cats were well looked after.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:47 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

hi there, my cat was almost 20 when she came over! She made the trip brilliantly Still going strong even the she's now diabetic and needs 2 insulin injections every day, that being said she is looking better than ever and seems to love life here. We did check with the vet first though. She settled in pretty much immediately.

Like Rob, we used Golden Arrow for the animals. They were brilliant!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Our lads were oldish too when they flew over and they were completely fine. We are their people and they are our cats. No way would we have left them behind.

They have such a wonderful life here too.It's been a new lease of life for both of them.

We used Airpets at Heathrow .
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:32 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I agree completely, our animals are as much part of our family as we are and it's certainly given her a new lease of life. Bevs, here's Princess Pixie ( sad I know!!)
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:33 am
A land far far away

sorry it's huge - and so sparkly
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:40 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

That is pretty sparkly!!

Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Cyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=RobClubley;6180468]That is pretty sparkly!!

[QUOTE=pixi-dust;6180450]I agree completely, our animals are as much part of our family as we are and it's certainly given her a new lease of life. Bevs, here's Princess Pixie ( sad I know!!)

You big softies!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
I'm only thinking of the stress that the animals are under where by they are locked in a cage, into a darkend cargo hold for 2 days with no food.

In the end it depends whether you take the chance or not, I was told before I sent my dog to the UK by a NZ vet (15 years ago) that young or old animals may not travel well than when we initally made plans about her returning I had the same reply by a UK vet.
Flights are not two days long. I paid an extra 300 pounds to have the dog and cats flown via Air NZ and their flights were a mere 24 hours.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:27 pm
Happy in Wellington

Good point. They get decent sized crates where they can move around a bit, and water but no food during the trip.
I'm told they also get checked to see if they are okay when they stop midway (in Singapore or wherever)

And before someone asks, the brown things on the front of the cages are the cats' collars wrapped in packing tape!!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:25 am
A land far far away

I have to say Pixie didn't seem the least bit stressed, shes been more stressed after vets visits! She had to stay overnight there once and was hoarse with crying - when she came out of her crate ( identical to Rob's cats' ones) she was talking to us in her normal voice.
I'd take your vets advice, we did, but you know your animals better than anyone.

And yes, flights aren't 2 days long.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

briwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nicebriwi is just really nice

our cat was nine and had never left the house before we shipped her - she got out the crate like she owned the place and had five happy years in NZ. Although I wasn't so pleased the day of the bird incident!

We had no problem finding a rental with her, I also now rent property out in NZ and have no problem with cat 'tenants' (though I've set a two cat limit without having to ask permission!). We're now in Oz and it's a much bigger issue here, I'd be panicking if she were still alive - as it is she's in a box on the table!!!!.