Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

taking moggie to NZ

taking moggie to NZ

Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire- soon to be New Plymouth (December 2008)
jill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant future
Default taking moggie to NZ

HI

I have a 12yr old moggie, that I would like to take with us as i have no-one here in the UK to take him on and i would worry about him.

Can you tell me if it is possible and how easy it is to rent properties that will allow cats indoors, all he really does in sleep, eat and has the occaisional walk about.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Cyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: taking moggie to NZ

Hi Jill,

Yes it's possible - I think the process is quite straightforward, but it's not cheap!
There's no quarantine from UK, but he'll need to be chipped and then within 30 days of travel there are various tests that need to be completed. I'm planning on taking 5 cats and a dog, and have been quoted £5k which includes flights, all the tests and 3 weeks boarding. Yes, I know...but they're my babies :-)

From what I've seen on trademe.co.nz and on the rental pages of the real estate agents, one cat shouldn't cause you too much difficulty in renting.

Good luck!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

jill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Cyffiwr
Hi Jill,

Yes it's possible - I think the process is quite straightforward, but it's not cheap!
There's no quarantine from UK, but he'll need to be chipped and then within 30 days of travel there are various tests that need to be completed. I'm planning on taking 5 cats and a dog, and have been quoted £5k which includes flights, all the tests and 3 weeks boarding. Yes, I know...but they're my babies :-)

From what I've seen on trademe.co.nz and on the rental pages of the real estate agents, one cat shouldn't cause you too much difficulty in renting.

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. I know how you feel, my cat is my baby too and is well spoilt, which is why I couldnt leave him behind and why I am concerned getting a rental home that will allow him indoors. Trouble is he is used to having a cat flap so that he can come and go as he pleases. So it will take him a bit of getting used to having to be either in all day or out, til we get home. Cant see them wanting us to install a cat flap can you.

When do you go?

We have had a quote of £750 with one company and £1,200 with another.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Cyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the roughCyffiwr is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jill stanton
Thanks for the reply. I know how you feel, my cat is my baby too and is well spoilt, which is why I couldnt leave him behind and why I am concerned getting a rental home that will allow him indoors. Trouble is he is used to having a cat flap so that he can come and go as he pleases. So it will take him a bit of getting used to having to be either in all day or out, til we get home. Cant see them wanting us to install a cat flap can you.

When do you go?

We have had a quote of £750 with one company and £1,200 with another.
We're hoping to go as soon as possible but I'm waiting on my written job offer so I can complete the EOI. Was hoping to get in for the next choosing session but I think that's on Wednesday so unless it comes in the post tomorrow...
Anyway, my first priority was the animals so I've gotten them sorted and decided on the pet shipper based on previous recommendations on this forum.
I must admit that I'm a little concerned about finding a rental - one company said that 5 cats 'is a little excessive' but told me to contact them nearer the time.
I guess that if I offer to pay more rent then I may be able to persuade someone that we'll be good tenants!!!

When do you go? If you get there first maybe I could rent your shed or something ...
Old Apr 7th 2008, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

neilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really nice

Cat flaps -

We were in a rental for 6 months with our 2 "babies". We simply called the landlord and asked if we could get a cat flap installed if we reinstated the original glass before leaving. He had no problem and in the end he sold as we left so didn't even ask us to replace the pane.

All the glass guys carry cat flaps in their vans here as it is such a day to day request for them.

Neil
Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Jill,

Good luck!
wow,thats cheap,we payed 3.500 pounds just to bring our dog,thats vet fees included.but worth every penny...jacky
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:37 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Cats are cheaper than dogs - we paid GPB 1400 to fly our two including 3 weeks' board.
They love it here!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We brought our two lovely cats with us & had no problem finding a rental. The first rental didn't have a cat flap , so the landlord allowed us to install one. The 2nd rental already had a cat flap.

Must say my two cats are having the most wonderful of cat lives here.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:48 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah ours saw grass and trees for the first time in NZ.
And birds and mice.
They must have thought they'd been brought to cat heaven!
Old Apr 7th 2008, 11:54 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jill stanton
HI

I have a 12yr old moggie, that I would like to take with us as i have no-one here in the UK to take him on and i would worry about him.

Can you tell me if it is possible and how easy it is to rent properties that will allow cats indoors, all he really does in sleep, eat and has the occaisional walk about.
12 is quite old for a cat to travel ................. but hey, I'm no vet
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
12 is quite old for a cat to travel ................. but hey, I'm no vet
Our dog was 12 when we brought him over,he travelled well,but it does depend on the animal.
having said that we had to get our cat put down 2 years ago as she went into kidney failure,she was 18,so 12 is just a young thing for a cat.......jacky
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:37 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by garryhg
Our dog was 12 when we brought him over,he travelled well,but it does depend on the animal.
having said that we had to get our cat put down 2 years ago as she went into kidney failure,she was 18,so 12 is just a young thing for a cat.......jacky
I'm only thinking of the stress that the animals are under where by they are locked in a cage, into a darkend cargo hold for 2 days with no food.

In the end it depends whether you take the chance or not, I was told before I sent my dog to the UK by a NZ vet (15 years ago) that young or old animals may not travel well than when we initally made plans about her returning I had the same reply by a UK vet.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Neither of our animals were young when they travelled and they displayed no signs of stress at all once they arrived at the other end.

Many animals seem to make these long journeys without problems. I've often wondered how race horses and their owners manage with all the travelling .
Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

We're hoping to go as soon as possible but I'm waiting on my written job offer so I can complete the EOI. Was hoping to get in for the next choosing session but I think that's on Wednesday so unless it comes in the post tomorrow...
Anyway, my first priority was the animals so I've gotten them sorted and decided on the pet shipper based on previous recommendations on this forum.
I must admit that I'm a little concerned about finding a rental - one company said that 5 cats 'is a little excessive' but told me to contact them nearer the time.
I guess that if I offer to pay more rent then I may be able to persuade someone that we'll be good tenants!!!

When do you go? If you get there first maybe I could rent your shed or something ...
Hi

We have only just started the immigration process, so it will be awhile. so i think that may be you will be getting there before us. We may have to rent out your shed lol
Old Apr 8th 2008, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by garryhg
wow,thats cheap,we payed 3.500 pounds just to bring our dog,thats vet fees included.but worth every penny...jacky
Blimey - how big is your dog ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.